Evo yesterday at KH

Anything goes in here.....
alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:06 am

tadltd wrote:Well... WTF is it?! :popcorn
Should help... :)
http://www.litimports.co.uk/evo9.asp
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:11 am

Here would be m sensible family car...

330bhp and room for the dog 8)

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:48 am

Even from the other side of the world (I'm currently in Babo, Papua!) I can't resist a good EVO/Scooby argument. ;)

I will freely admit that for track work, and flat out road work the EVo is a much better car for the road. It's faster, more focussed and gets the job done very wel out of the box. It's a bit like comparing the Exige to the Elise. Very similar, but aimed at different people with differert iewpoints on cars.

Where the Scooby score more points is in a daily driver. Suspension is a bit softer and more compliant, fuel lasts a bit longer between fill-ups, much less frequent trips to the dealer for servicing/regular work. Most recent Imprezas are 10k/yearly whatever comes first. Doesn't sound much, but if it's one or two days less a year spent going to/from the dealer then it's good in my books.

Impreza is also better for the family, especially if you have a couple of kids who travel regularly in the back. Been in bit quieter and more comfortable inside makes all the difference.

One of the things for me though, is that you can still have fun, even when driving at 40 - 50% of the cars ability. The EVO is one of those cars that simply has to be driven fast all the time. I think I described it before as having a little devil on your shoulder, just encouraging you to go faster all the time - the car just feel right tootling along at commuting speeds.

There's no doubt though, on smooth roads, or on track, the way the EVO is set-up is much better than an equivalent Impreza out of the box. Sure you can change the suspension etc to make them almost equal, but then you lose out on some of the refinement benefits. You can get much more power, but then need more regular servicing etc.

Both are great cars, but at the end of the day, you have to think of what you are using it for 90% of the time. There's no point buying a Seven for example as a daily commuter for all weathers, when you sometimes need to take clients to lunch. There are some times when it just wouldn't be right. However, on track they will wipe the floor with most things and give the driver a huge amount of fun.

Scotty - you'll still be mroe than welcome at the SIDC days - in fact we have been trying to encourage more EVO owners to come along on a regular basis.

Cheers

John

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 am

JohnStewart wrote:There's no point buying a Seven for example as a daily commuter for all weathers
There *are* some who choose to do this - crazy fools... :roll:
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 pm

John,

Nice to see that we have another SE'r on the other side of the world. Currently out in South Africa in Cape Town on business again (tough life eh).

I must admit that we were very tempted to go the Scooby route rather than the Evo. There was very little in it, however the one thing that I did miss from the my early Scooby test drive days was that the thrust you get in the back.

We test drove the 2.5 WRX, 2.0 STi with PPP & Evo VIII 330. When I got out of the WRX I knew it was a fast car but it did not feel fast. I think the 2.5 has made it a bit too torquey and lost that perceived oomph. I even said to the dealer (Gary in Cupar who was absolutely excellent) so he knew the STi was more what I was looking for.

The 2.0Sti with the PPP was a lot better but on I think the psycholigical thing is that with the big boonet vent it make the car feel more imposing than it actually is. The handling was pretty damn good but it did not give me the immediate confidence to drive it a lot harder (which admittededly would have come with time of ownership). However jumping into the Evo was all communicationand feedback and gave a lot more confidence to chuck the car around. I did the same test route but came back with a stiff neck in the Evo as the cornering was so much faster.

In the end the Evo was the hands down winner for me but will always respect the choice of Scooby ownership. :D

This is what makes car marques so great. One person will go down the Evo route, the other will go down the Scooby route. Some people would never think about going for an Elise when all they can see is a Porsche Boxter.

Cheers
DMW

jamie

Post by jamie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:21 pm

I would think that the new 2.5 unit must be able to out perform a 2 lt unit when it comes to tuning?

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:23 am

Well Lesley recons it looks like a cut n shut, old mans car at the back with an impretza at the from
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:34 am

With a bit of work, new turbo, bigger injectors, exhaust, new rods, pistons and a bit of remapping, you can get a comfortable 500+bhp out of the 2.5 engine with plenty of mid range torque.

If you want to go to real extremes, then Andy Forrest has tuned his 2.33 Impreza to silly levels of power, and has also undergone a severe weight reduction program as well.

He can now accelerate from 0 - 159mph in 9.1 seconds from a standing start over the 1/4 mile and has been recorded at 210mph (and still accelerating) in last years (less powerful/heavier) spec over a standing 1.25 miles. This car IS road legal, but wouldn't be that much fun to drive, as it would be difficult to keep under control!! Have a look at http://bbs.22b.com in the general section for the melbourne record thread - there are some videos if you are interested.

John

dezzy

Post by dezzy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:01 am

Gareth wrote:Here would be m sensible family car...

330bhp and room for the dog 8)
Don't mean to cause offence . . . but that is a truly ugly car. Sorry. Really don't like it. Just my opinion though! :)
2009 Mini Cooper, Midnight Black
2008 Elise S, Solar Yellow

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:08 am

dezzy wrote:
Gareth wrote:Here would be m sensible family car...
Don't mean to cause offence . . . but that is a truly ugly car. Sorry. Really don't like it. Just my opinion though! :)
I'm the last one to be offended.
Yup, not the prettiest but it's damn quick. Quicker than the Sti saloon.
Personally I would rather have a RS4.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:54 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

Scotty - "on the grass more times than Bob Marley", I laughed so hard Lisa had to come into the study to find out what was wrong :lol:

JohnS - great to see you wade into the Evo-Subaru debate with full diplomatic hat on as ever, luvvit ;-) I looked that Litchfield Type 25 site, wow, what a vehicle. Though maybe a bit toooo Evo, as you say, the Impreza really does offer the best of both worlds. It's all about averages after all. Best not tell Cameron about the Type-25 though, eh...he's only just getting over the P1, might find himself getting in a sweat about how to extract £40k from Escrivo in a hurry!!

We really miss our Impreza (would have been perfect for the young family...5-door, bootliner, tailgate bumperguard, the works!...Gareth, it's perfect for you, forget the Forester Sti). Only bits we don't miss are...

- twice yearly servicing (it was a 99 model, I realise the newer ones are yearly of course)

- heading to the petrol station about twice a month. We are lucky to be in the filling station once every two months with our GTi TDi :o

I pass a tidy gunmetal silver 5-door 54 plate WRX on the way to/from Linlithgow station most mornings, I am very tempted to put a note on the guy's windscreen in case he sells...but would no doubt be homeless, divorced, and seeking access rights to see Eilidh if I did such a thing :roll:

Ah, life eh. Come back Scooby, all is forgiven.

Campbell

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:22 am

Gareth,

If you really want to see ugly ballistic estates then you should see Mitsubishi's effort:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2005-M ... -Wagon.htm

Right out of the old world style effort of building an estate by putting a box at the back and forget about making it remotely stylish.

DMW

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:09 pm

Doh.

Found the ESP button yesterday, it was next to the electric mirrors (yes I was moving them by hand) on the right hand side of the stearing wheel.

I am sure I could do a sub 80 lap?

Scotty
"Here for a good time not a long time"

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:19 pm

Scotty C wrote:Doh.

Found the ESP button yesterday, it was next to the electric mirrors (yes I was moving them by hand) on the right hand side of the stearing wheel.

I am sure I could do a sub 80 lap?

Scotty
http://www.superchips.co.uk

Mitsubishi L200 2.5 TD
2001 onwards
Engine type : Turbo-Diesel
Engine size : 2500 cm3

Original bhp : 113
BHP increase : 20

Price* : £351.33

Should ensure victory in the company drag race... :D
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:38 pm

new animal comes chiped to 176bhp i think, maybe?
"Here for a good time not a long time"