DRB Hicom set to sell 51% share in Proton to VW?

Anything goes in here.....
smitstui

DRB Hicom set to sell 51% share in Proton to VW?

Post by smitstui » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 am

Stolen from SELOC. - Must be Good news?

After being rumoured last year, it is believed that DRB Hicom are set to sell a 51% stake in Lotus owners Proton to Volkswagon.

DRB Hicom already assemble and manufacture Volkswagon cars under license in Malaysia, so the deal would be likely to be based around expanding Volkswagons portfolio of car brands building models based around VW’s existing platforms.

Sources suggest that such a buy-out should not affect Lotus’ developments or manufacturing for 2013, nor it’s plan to increase sales to 3,000 units for the 2013/2014 financial year, but could certainly prove interesting in the longer term.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

j2 lot

Re: DRB Hicom set to sell 51% share in Proton to VW?

Post by j2 lot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

Don't think its a bad thing and many people have been wishing VW would scoop up Lotus for a long time.
My only concern would be that it removes the stability that DRB seemed to be reaching & now that VW have the controlling share does it start a new round of questions about what direction Lotus is to take, what will it be producing etc etc

Another adoptive parent for the unwanted child or a loving home where its full potential can be explored :?
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

Great news!... if it all comes off. :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Completely agree that it should be a good thing for Lotus. Just hope that it does not cause an assessment of their current parts supplies as that is the last thing that Lotus wants at the moment :o

I suspect it may cause delays to any future Loti that was on the cards (including Exige V6 variants) as the new owners will want to assess the current market for Lotus and steer them in the right direction.

Long term however its good news.

As an aside - VW always wanted involvement in F1 and will now have it. Would they change the Renault/Lotus affiliation to Porsche for global exposure of their premium sports car manufacturer :blackeye

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm not so sure it would be a good move. something about it makes me think Lotus would just be gobled up loose it's identity and produce middle of the road boring well made sports cars that are probably profitable but dull.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:18 pm

:withstupid

VAG cars are mostly pretty dull and boring, would they do the same to Lotus?

Look at Audi for instance, all the models look the same, when you go in to the Audi dealer it they should just be asking you what length of Audi you want as they're almost all identical. Then there's the awful handling..........maybe Lotus could sort that out for them?

gorrie

Post by gorrie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 pm

dull? boring?
VW group have their sticky fingers over Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche. No reason why Lotus under VW stewardship would need to be dull.
I have no signature.

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 pm

gorrie wrote:dull? boring?
VW group have their sticky fingers over Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche. No reason why Lotus under VW stewardship would need to be dull.
The Bugatti is a numbers game, James may drove it at 250mph and it was dull.
I used to have a Lamborghini poster on my wall, Kids nowadays have pictures of Zonda's as they are mental like the lambo's of old. Does anyone nurse a semi when they look at one, They follow the late 70's British Leyland style aesthetic pointy and square.
The last time Porsche came up with a new shape was when Hitler asked him to. If you have £70k to spend on a sports car the Porsche is the sensible option. Do you want sensible ?
Audi, The drivers have a reputation now all the cool people drive BMW's
VW, everyone goes on about the Golf another German car that's not changed shape since the Italians sketched it. The smaller models just copy the shape of the golf and nobody wants any of their bigger models.
Skoda and this may upset the SE Skoda fan club, they may be rebadged face cropped VW's but I would rather a Mondeo over an Octavia as it's a better car. (oh and they are all ugly)
SEAT, boy racers like the cupra and fr models everyone else passes them by.

How would lotus fit into VAG? they are not going to do anything that will effect Porsche sales.

</rant>
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 pm

I agree. VW have a bunch of dull platform shared cars.

Now, Lotus obviously have a history of the same, Elise derived cars so that's not new to the Lotus ethos, the big question is whether they are allowed to keep their own identity as they are, with the addition possibly of VW running gear, or if they just become another level in the VW platform race, making a boxter with a different shell, or even worse, a TT (Golf, Octavia, Leon...)

VAG make the sort of cars you want to sit in the driveway when you have a Lotus tucked up in the garage, not the other way around!

Chris
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Re: Porsche being boring, maybe, but the only car I would actually want besides the Elise (of some variant) is GT3 or, if feeling not quite so rich, a Boxster/Cayman.

As to VW involvement in F1, err, nope. Lotus name is being used in F1 but without any Lotus involvement unless something has changed? Lotus name simply preserved to avoid triggering loss of points/becoming a new team. If somebody rocks up with the readies, I think Lotus team will become somebody else very quickly.

VW are probably a good owner for Lotus, though. They must know they will never "fuse" Lotus into VW, but some input from Lotus's handling department might revive some GTi type variants - and in the long run Lotus are sitting on the sort of chassis technology that might bring ultra-fuel efficient cars to our streets, so probably a reasonable punt for them. Meanwhile you would hope VW would bring in some corporate governance that Lotus have been missing ...

If I were VW I would cost up the intangible benefits of Lotus know-how (I use the term loosely) and then make sure that the net outflow into Lotus bottomless pit is kind of balanced to that.

Probably won't change much at Lotus cars. Might just change some stuff at Lotus Engineering, though ... they might find themselves working exclusively on a long list of VW Borrada models, or, if they are unlucky, they'll be on the next Lambo, whatever that is :-)

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

woody

Post by woody » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 pm

I find it strange that it's assumed VW cars handle as they do because they lack the know-how and /or engineering resources. I tend to think VAGs drive as they do because that's how VW choose to calibrate the handling? I doubt they have much to gain from either the car or the engineering side of Lotus tbh.

bibs

Post by bibs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:42 pm

This is an old story which has it's origins 7+ years ago, currently completely unfounded and untrue. You'll notice seloc have removed the article and discussion thread now.

Doc883

Post by Doc883 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 pm

The only VW I have ever owned was a MKV Golf GTi mit DSG Gearbox. A consummate all-rounder and in the words of many a motor journalist all the car you ever need. Not outstanding in any one area but a blend of solid scores across all areas. Handling wise the majority of drivers don't want a car that handles like it's on rails, present company excepted. Whilst my S3 Sportback was in the garage I was given an A1 with S-Line suspension and the ride was terrible. The S3 provides a far more comfortable ride whilst retaining a sporty element, ok not the pinnacle of a driver focused car but suits my everyday needs to a T.
S-Max Titanium X Sport - Wife Spec
Audi RS3 Quattro spec all weather beast