Art School Fire

Anything goes in here.....
vet111s

Art School Fire

Post by vet111s » Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 am

Tragedy for those students affected and for the city as a whole to potentially lose, even part of, such an iconic building.
What I kept thinking yesterday, though, was-"why didn't the sprinkler system at least control the fire". Surely in a building as important as this and one where fire partitions are likely not built in due its age, there should have been a fairly effective fire damping system?

bertieduff

Re: Art School Fire

Post by bertieduff » Sat May 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Was there a sprinkler system? Certainly wasn't when I was there, though that was nearly 20 years ago. Would have been extremely difficult, intrusive and expensive to fit, so I suspect not, given how spectacularly fast the spread was. There had been fire doors retro-fitted to the corridors years ago, but doubt they made any difference- I'd guess the many roof-lights, voids and vertical windows, combined with the amount of exposed timber did for it. It was designed primarily for aesthetic effect, not fire safety, so it's beauty was also it's weakness, sadly.

Strange how emotional it's possible to get about some bits of stone and timber. Everyone I know that spent any time there is the same: we all felt privileged to have studied there. My FB feed is awash with shocked comments from what seems like the four corners of the globe. Honestly couldn't imagine a more inspirational/unique/cosmopolitan environment to learn in. It's the only building on the campus worth a damn too, and it happened in the worst possible part of it.

The one saving grace is that both building and contents are extremely well documented, so most of it bar the patina can be replaced. Wincing at the thought of the original artwork and archive material that must have been lost, though: that stuff is irreplaceable. :(
Lotus Corsa
Lotus Wagon R
Lotus Focus
Lotus Collie dug

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat May 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Was truely saddened to see this on the news. Latest reports suggest it's structurally okay. Here's hoping it can be returned to it's former glory.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat May 24, 2014 7:10 pm

It is incredibly bad luck that such a unique building should be hit by fire; on the plus side it sounds like a lot of it can be put back to former glory and who knows what else might come of the efforts to restore it ... I would mention phoenix but that would be a cliché :-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

vet111s

Post by vet111s » Sat May 24, 2014 7:33 pm

I hope my comments weren't too much like finger pointing. Talking as an outsider Glaswegian who (clearly) hasn't studied there. Couldn't comment specifically on the logistics of putting in a sprinkler system etc. Just find it so sad what has happened and I guess was struck be the speed and ferocity with which it spread.

glasgowwestie

Post by glasgowwestie » Sat May 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Library is lost, but archive has survived. The fire service have posted a pic of the upper gallery (above the central stairs) and it looks pretty much fine, save for light smoke damage and some water damage coming in from ceiling.The picture (on BBC news page) of the library is heartbreaking.

Again not finger-pointing, but rather suspect Historic Scotland would have found installation of sprinklers too intrusive.

As a former student, most shocked by rapidity of fire spread - but having seen many degree shows almost all the material the students use is combustible and the studios will have been packed full of stuff. And that's not even to mention the range of crappy AV equipment that the students always seem to utilise in their displays...
Elise S2 - Daily driver spec

Daveb

Post by Daveb » Sat May 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Is this like setting off a fire alarm before an exam but on a bigger scale? Someone not prepared for their end of year degree show?

They were saying on the news a projector exploded in the basement so maybe not.

glasgowwestie

Post by glasgowwestie » Sat May 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Not sure if this will work, but upper gallery pic here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/GSofA/status ... 92/photo/1
Elise S2 - Daily driver spec

Claws

Post by Claws » Sat May 24, 2014 10:37 pm

The spread of fire is as expected.

Given that it was a sunny day and the degree show preparations were in full swing, every door and window would have been open, the high content of old dry treated wood, whatever happened in the basement and then all the abandoned exhibits...the fact that it went straight up and didn't spread too much laterally is a major blessing.

The fact that there will have been so many photographs taken of all areas of the building means that it can be faithfully reconstructed, but with a modern twist with natty fire supressing features.

It must be absolutely gutting for all the staff and students, both past and present.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Sun May 25, 2014 1:05 am

Highly unlikely there would be a sprinkler system - prohibitively expensive to install and maintain in a grade A listing and despite the current incident a risk assessment would suggest its probably not a good investment. There are also risks of damage from malfunctioning sprinkler install, although water damage is easier to rectify than fire damage :?
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Sun May 25, 2014 8:40 am

I would imagine the former and current students are about to be tasked with the project of their careers in the restoration.
W213 All Terrain

Edin430

Post by Edin430 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:23 am

There was a sprinkler system. It failed.

My dads wife has worked there most of her career and was in the building at the time.