Trackday Helmet

Anything goes in here.....
Ferg

Trackday Helmet

Post by Ferg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:17 pm

My old motorbike Arai has seen better days so was thinking about getting a car focused helmet for upcoming birthday.

When I got my bike helmet, trying them on was critical, both because of general fit but also to ensure room for my glasses. I'm a blind so n so. Looking to find somewhere I could try a few of the regular manufacturers out eg. OMP,SPARCO, ARAI, SIMPSON. Any ideas?

I had also considered getting a peaked helmet. Is that bonkers!? I'd still have the old Arai for going karting etc. The only car I can think of that the peak isn't appropriate for would be a 211. Or am I missing something?

All SE wisdom welcome....

C7Steve

Re: Trackday Helmet

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:38 pm

Ferg,

I bought mine (Bell) from Demon Tweeks and sent it back for a different size with no additional charge.

See here for motorshow where the main manufacturers will be;

http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vie ... =2&t=39348

Steve.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Try Steve Turner fro Turner Autosport, not sure if he's on here much but he has a Turner Autosport FB page rwhich currently has an offer with a Bell helmet with HANS :thumbsup
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

tadltd

Post by tadltd » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi - heard my name mentioned.

Had to blow the cobwebs off my login for this forum - haven't been on in a few years..!

Your budget will determine the range of helmets you can choose from. For example, if you're willing to spend £750 you'll get yourself the latest entry level Arai GP5-W - if you want HANS posts on this, you're looking at nearer £800... If the Arai you have now is comfortable, then you can be confident the GP5-W will be a good fit (what size are you, BTW?). This helmet, like most racing helmets, has a narrower aperture than a bike helmet, but they tend to be a wee bit wider than a 'formula' helmet, so it's worth bearing this in mind when trying them on.

Another option is the Bell GT5, which is supplied with both an adjustable peak visor, a full visor, and factory fitted HANS posts. It also has the wider aperture to improve vision in saloons, as well as additional ventilation on the top to help extract heat. Being a Pro-series helmet it's also made of a lightweight composite hybrid material (RRP ~ £510). It's also fully compliant with FIA8858-2010 and SAH2010 reg's.

Other helmets offering a peak visor option include the Sparco WTX-5T (RRP ~ £530), the OMP Speed 10 (RRP ~ £480), the Simpson Devil Ray Carbon (RRP ~ £680 + HANS + peak visor), the Stilo ST4 Wide (RRP ~ £774)

Most of these helmets will also accept a full visor, but these are usually sold as an optional extra. As far as I am aware, only the Bell GT5 is supplied with both.

I can supply all of these and offer price matching where possible. I'll be at Knockhill this weekend (Sat & Sun) with our stand, and we'll be set-up in the BMW Compact Cup area (we sponsor the championship), which is in the lower paddock. We'll be next to or near the Pro Race Scotland guys. If you're attending feel free to come over and try on the helmets that we have with us. We'll also have HANS devices, boots, gloves, and more.
Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 am

Steve (Tadltd),

Looking to purchase a visor for my Bell RS7 Pro helmet for use in strong sunlight conditions (obviously not in Scotland 8) ) what would you recommend and any info regarding picking from these please?

http://www.bellracing.info/accessories/ ... s/se7.html

Any benefits from a mirrored visor over a multi-layered one?

Cheers,

Steve.
Last edited by C7Steve on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:13 am

Wow, great bit of info. Thanks.

Size is large and the only issue I have with the Arai is the space in front of my face is a bit small. So yes, turns out I'm big headed :lol

I'll see if I can make it up to Knockhill on Saturday. Are there other options for coming out to you if I can't make that?

Ill send a PM.

:-)

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 am

I bought an OMP as it was about 50% if the Bell/Arai etc models. Even got HANS posts for the look ;)
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:22 am

Can highly recommend Steve Turner Motorsport (User name tadltd) - recently bought my new track helmet from him :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

5turn3r

Post by 5turn3r » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:04 pm

C7Steve wrote:Steve (Tadltd),

Looking to purchase a visor for my Bell RS7 Pro helmet for use in strong sunlight conditions (obviously not in Scotland 8) ) what would you recommend and any info regarding picking from these please?

http://www.bellracing.info/accessories/ ... s/se7.html

Any benefits from a mirrored visor over a multi-layered one?

Cheers,

Steve.
Would definitely go for a mirrored, 3mm multi-layer (ML) shield. These are like double glazing (i.e. there is a sealed void between the 2 shield layers) and brilliant at resisting fogging. The mirror coating works like sunglasses and helps reflect UV as well as keeping the inside of the helmet cooler.

If you ever get caught in that situation where you're driving through heavy showers, with bright sunshine in between and the road spray hangs, illuminated in the air, it's a God send.

If driving in low light / dark wet conditions a yellow tint visor is good to reduce glare and that 'halo' effect from headlamps.

Can supply both.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

5turn3r

Post by 5turn3r » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Ferg wrote:Wow, great bit of info. Thanks.

Size is large and the only issue I have with the Arai is the space in front of my face is a bit small. So yes, turns out I'm big headed :lol

I'll see if I can make it up to Knockhill on Saturday. Are there other options for coming out to you if I can't make that?

Ill send a PM.

:-)
No problem - hope to see you at KH, but happy to have you over to try on helmets. Thing is, I'm going on a 3-week holiday as of the 24th and moving house in between times, so won't be able to have you over until I'm back (circa 18th July)

5turn3r

Post by 5turn3r » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:10 pm

BTW - have logged in with my Google account, so Tadltd and 5turn3r are one and the same! (in case there was any confusion)

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Cool, I'll see if I can get to KH on Saturday. If not have a great holiday and good luck with your house move. :-)

5turn3r

Post by 5turn3r » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks!

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Ferg wrote:
... the space in front of my face is a bit small.
Lift the visor or move the seat back.

HTH.
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 pm

pete wrote:
Ferg wrote:
... the space in front of my face is a bit small.
Lift the visor or move the seat back.

HTH.
:damnfunny
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99