S1 Advice

Anything goes in here.....
Kinger

S1 Advice

Post by Kinger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi

Currently having thought's about getting an S1 and I'm looking for advice what the main things are that I should be looking out for, my main worry is corrosion. I know there can be problems at the wishbone / suspension mounting points, is this corrosion visible or is the extent of corrosion only apparent when stripped down. Are there anymore area's to look out for and any other major issue's to look to be aware of.

Thanks an advance.

C7Steve

Re: S1 Advice

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 pm

What about Scotty C car?

I don't know if he is selling, but it could be worth sending him a PM.

Steve.

sendmyusername

Post by sendmyusername » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I'm currently selling mine, it's in dundee.
If you are local and fancy a look i'll happily show you around it, and point out some of the things that go wrong with them (but haven't gone wrong with mine) and you can take your time and have a poke around.
I've got a bit of interest, and am hopeful it will go this weekend, but if it doesn't give me a shout.
There is a link to the add on pistonheads in the classified.

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:23 pm

sendmyusername wrote:I'm currently selling mine, it's in dundee.
If you are local and fancy a look i'll happily show you around it, and point out some of the things that go wrong with them (but haven't gone wrong with mine) and you can take your time and have a poke around.
I've got a bit of interest, and am hopeful it will go this weekend, but if it doesn't give me a shout.
There is a link to the add on pistonheads in the classified.
Hi.

If you've still got the car on Sunday it would be great to have a look and a chat, I'll pm you on Saturday to see if its worth coming down from Aberdeen ( if car not sold)

Steve,

Currently thinking Sport 160 /111S, but might consider a standard S1 as I'll still have the V6 for the track etc. What model does Scotty have ?

Cheers

sendmyusername

Post by sendmyusername » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:38 pm

No worries. Will do.
If you bring the list that you get from here, it will give you something to work through.
As far as i know i'm not hiding anything. O:)
Thing that annoyed me the most when i was looking was when they stated full service history, but only had four to six stamps, and no paperwork. Wasted a lot of time with that.
I'm off all week apart from saturday til 3.

sendmyusername

Post by sendmyusername » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:44 pm

If you want a 160, or 111s i would get one that was factory built that way, or a bell and colville rather than buy a standard one and try to do it yourself.
My dad always said " if you want a fast car, buy a fast car. Don't buy a slow car and try to make it fast"

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Kinger,

Not sure what size of car Scotty has. Mike or Scotty will be along soon.

Slight mention of possible sale here and other advice;

http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vie ... =2&t=40216

Steve.

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm sure there will be loads of people that can show you their S1s. Knowing what the front wishbone area should look like is important as it's often here you see damage or the corrosion. Although not sure how common the corrosion on Corranga's car in his thread is, but worth a check. What's nice is that the straight lines of the alu extrusion make it easier to spot issues.

There are so many TADTS things that a cup of tea and a chat over someones car will give you a great knowledge starting point.

I would say that finding one that has been kept in a garage would help. Having kept one outside and in, the difference in deterioration was noticeable. Better yet, take someone who has one and can spot the normal issues?

Think Scotty's is a 160, and either way its a very nice example.

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:06 am

I know of at least five 160s for sale in Scotland - three are advertised, and the nicest of those three looks very much like craig wallaces old car which is for sale here: http://www.kintorecarsales.co.uk/used-c ... 5053196272 and there's another not far away but is a cat d.

Then there's Scotty's. And another which I'm not telling you about :mrgreen:

There's also a pukka S160 which has just been reduced on PH to £13k which seems keen, it's in titanium. :thumbsup
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

PartTimer

Post by PartTimer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 am

Ours is up for sale her. Cracking little car, and a good price. It is in Edinburgh.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... ed/4217125

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:58 am

I'll be at Croft with you guys on the 3rd so if you still fancy a poke around you're more than welcome to look over mine.

woody

Post by woody » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 am

rossybee wrote:I know of at least five 160s for sale in Scotland - three are advertised, and the nicest of those three looks very much like craig wallaces old car which is for sale here: http://www.kintorecarsales.co.uk/used-c ... 5053196272 and there's another not far away but is a cat d.

There's also a pukka S160 which has just been reduced on PH to £13k which seems keen, it's in titanium. :thumbsup
Best colour for them, honest.

Scotty's isn't a 160 as far add I remember but had had a lot of work done to it.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:31 am

woody wrote:
rossybee wrote:I know of at least five 160s for sale in Scotland - three are advertised, and the nicest of those three looks very much like craig wallaces old car which is for sale here: http://www.kintorecarsales.co.uk/used-c ... 5053196272 and there's another not far away but is a cat d.

Best colour for them, honest.

Scotty's isn't a 160 as far add I remember but had had a lot of work done to it.
:wave is a 160 Stout :lol:

Ive im being honest the car was going to be Lindsays day to day car, that during the build turned it being the perfect S1 (ok without a honda) but that was before she went self employed. Its had everything thrown at it over the almost 2 years mike spent rebuilding it. It was an amazing car on track and had a few scalps under its belt for a 150-160BHP car. After spazz it sat for a couple of months only been driven a couple of times and when I sold the van i used it day to day, but I never liked it for that. I must be getting old.

Its been in the warehouse at work since December as the starter motor needs replaced and I just havnt been motivated to get it fixed. Mike is home in a couple of weeks and im going to get it out to his once he's back to have a look at it.

My problem is I paid about £6k for the car and although i never worked it out. Ive spent more then that on parts alone never mind Mikes time and effort. The car is worth way more to me keeping it, but im just not using it. Maybe after the wedding i will get motivated to use it. I still have a big Boxster itch and it would be a better day to day car then the S1?

Depends on what you are looking for, if there is a S160 for £13k i would say that was a good investment. your never going to loose money on that?
"Here for a good time not a long time"

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:14 am

I would always look at an S1 based on it's history and how it's been kept. Some folk seem to get hung up about finding a low mileage car, but IMHO, the age of S1's now, low mileage examples will require more recommissioning work, and will have more potential issues stored up - better of with a well used, well maintained car. Echo Ferg's comment about finding one that has been garaged.

If you can find a Sport 135, don't rule them out either - real world driving little difference between a 135 and 160 because the 135's had the CR box and more power than they should, whereas the 160s did not quite achieve the power they should - IIRC. 160s do look nice though! 8)
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

woody

Post by woody » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:37 am

Dominic wrote: whereas the 160s did not quite achieve the power they should
Internet chat based on the later, production (WVTA), batch having a proper Cat, 111s exhaust and double airbox to restrict flow & get emmisions where they needed to be. Show me a WVTA car that has the original exhaust & dual air boxes & I'd be surprised, most had the airbox removed early on.

Anyway, there are a lot of things to look out for on them. Many will have been addressed on a lot of cars now & if I were buying another I'd disregard mileage (up to a point) and buy based on what parts have been replaced,when & what with (ie ball-joints, recently & Elise Parts or OEM would be ideal, ages ago and with part factors parts, not so).I'd place a car with a suspension re-fresh higher than a lower miles one without. Rads don't tend to be such an issue on S1s as S2s. You'll be looking for newish dampers, steering clear of any car with Konis (what else needs replaced if they've not been...). If it's had HGF, who's fixed it & how, has the head been hand-peened, what gasket was used etc... Is there play in the steering, could be the UJs/Track rod ends/Rack or even upper coloum with the rack being the most painful fix. Corrosion wise, the front damper mounts, front upper/forward wishbone location points are the worse places but it's been know elsewhere.

That's all in no particular order & fairly random, could come up with a lot more given the time I'm sure....