Private property parking fines....

Anything goes in here.....
j2 lot

Re: Private property parking fines....

Post by j2 lot » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:45 pm

I still think the small one off tickets are unlikely to be pursued but in this case serial offending over a long period of time is of benefit to pursue as can be seen by the end fine :shock:
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:41 pm

j2 lot wrote:I still think the small one off tickets are unlikely to be pursued but in this case serial offending over a long period of time is of benefit to pursue as can be seen by the end fine :shock:

Both my wife and MIL have had one of these tickets recently - and I advised to ignore using the same logic - that it costs more to pursue a one off ticket than it's worth.

Let's hope that's right or I'm in double trouble :shock: :lol:

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Stupid woman, good to see that she has to pay it.

tut

David

Post by David » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 pm

I think anyone who has pursued a civil action knows that nothing is certain, and interpretation of the law can be fickle business in the court room. It's not black and white like keyboard lawyers would have you think. Better to take a pragmatic approach, and only go to court if you are prepared to lose.
Caterham - R400
Mini Cooper

Duratec in Detail
flickr
Youtube
facebook

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Sanjoy wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-39478203

Does this set precedent now?
If it was the large 'car park' near the Unicorn in Dundee, she probably could have got away with it by arguing that the it isn't clear what is and what isn't a car park as the surface makes it look more like waste ground ;)

The flip side of that is it is (or was) only £1.50 all day Saturday..
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Spotted this on the BBC website today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-39478203
Now with half an engine

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:29 pm

tonyg wrote:Spotted this on the BBC website today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-39478203
Keep up at the back - check back 1/2 a dozen posts, you were beaten to it :blackeye
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 am

I was suprised by the amount, I thought the company could only claim for lost revenue, i.e the £40 a month.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

jason

Post by jason » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 am

BiggestNizzy wrote:I was suprised by the amount, I thought the company could only claim for lost revenue, i.e the £40 a month.
I posted this back on page 2.
jason wrote:The common held view that any invoice can only reflect a landowner's actual costs was recently dismissed by the Supreme Court http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34721126

....the Supreme Court is the highest level of civil law appeal throughout the UK (so includes Scotland). An astonishing judgement.
That Nov 2015 Supreme Court ruling takes the side of the parking companies with their high 'penalty' invoices.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:30 pm

jason wrote:
BiggestNizzy wrote:I was suprised by the amount, I thought the company could only claim for lost revenue, i.e the £40 a month.
I posted this back on page 2.
jason wrote:The common held view that any invoice can only reflect a landowner's actual costs was recently dismissed by the Supreme Court http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34721126

....the Supreme Court is the highest level of civil law appeal throughout the UK (so includes Scotland). An astonishing judgement.
That Nov 2015 Supreme Court ruling takes the side of the parking companies with their high 'penalty' invoices.
I guess the balance between companies who own land taking the piss, and people who park on it over and over taking the piss needed a re-adjustment.
Not quite the same as someone not noticing a sign, or being 15 minutes over and getting a fine bigger than the government hand out for speeding when the person is clearly just disregarding the charge to get their own way? Makes some sense to me...
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

RDH

Post by RDH » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 pm

I think it's the fact she, by parking there, was deemed to have accepted the terms of the contract- the ones on the signs. Nothing really to do with lost revenue in this case, given the contract she enters by parking there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 pm

RDH wrote:
I think it's the fact she, by parking there, was deemed to have accepted the terms of the contract- the ones on the signs. Nothing really to do with lost revenue in this case, given the contract she enters by parking there.

Surely this opens everyone up to the company taking the piss? What if it said if you part here you promice to give us £100 a week for the next 5 years :D
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

Shug

Post by Shug » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:54 pm

BiggestNizzy wrote:
RDH wrote:

Surely this opens everyone up to the company taking the piss? What if it said if you part here you promice to give us £100 a week for the next 5 years :D
By awarding the case, the law regards that contract to be fair and enforceable. I don't think for a second it would apply to a clearly ridiculous example, like that, and would be thrown out when challenged.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R