Walkie Talkies

Anything goes in here.....
tut
Barefoot Ninja

Re: Walkie Talkies

Post by tut » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks Steve, that would be useful. Gone through Graeme's stages and the radios should be here tomorrow so plenty of time to play with them.

No problem with buying one but there are a lot of fakes out there and even price does not seem to be a guarantee. Same with the stubby NA-805 aerials, most of them are fakes and don't work.

tut

steve_weegie

Post by steve_weegie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:01 am

Yep, ask me how I ended up with 3 of the damn things at one point.... I should have 2 working cables kicking around, so will look one out for you. The Baofeng branded cable was a pile of the proverbial, and clearly used a fake USB to Serial chip so was sent straight back. If you do want one yourself, this is the exact one I got from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I went the other way with Aeriels and got an NA-771 16" whip (ooh err missus....) to help with reception in the hills. Nayoya again (if you believe what's printed on it) but it appears to work well. I've heard of some people even activate repeaters 18km away, using only 1w power on the handset with one of those....

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm

That is the aerial they included as an extra with mine Steve so that is a bonus.

tut

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Just had a first attempt but have decided not to do it manually.

Best bet is to sit down with somebody, possibly Graeme, and program it via the cable and use his experience, especially doing two.

tut

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Just tried mine out the box there, pretty impressive as they are! Very clear and could still chat away almost 3 miles away whith me in the car and Jen in the house thumbsup
Lego Elise couldn't afford a real one spec - sold
Skoda Octavia Scout work shed spec
VW T25 girlfriend's toy/wish it still worked spec - sold
GR Yaris - hooligan spec

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 am

What did you have to do to just pair the two Ali?

tut

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Just made sure they were on the same frequency and they worked well
GR Yaris - hooligan spec

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 am

Slightly off topic, but still about transmitters and receivers...

We have a bit of a first world problem. The aerial for our remote control electric gates on our drive way is not ideally located, in as much as it works great from inside the gates, but less so from outside. The aerial is mounted on the inside of the wall and is shorter that the wall. It is mounted with the control unit for the gates so would not be too easy to relocate. It looks like an average car aerial, so I bought a longer car aerial, only to discover that the size of the thread to screw it in is slightly different. I have also tried some adapters, and other aerials for remote control cars. They are all the same type of screw in fixing, but non fit. The manufactures do not supply directly to the public. The local installers are either "too busy for months" or "don't supply that part".

Before I give up on it,.. I wondered if it is feasible to solder on an extension to the existing aerial???

TIA.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

steve_weegie

Post by steve_weegie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:09 am

Can you post a photo of it Dom, with a tape measure for scale? There will be a way to make it work :)

I can have a look at the weekend too.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

steve_weegie wrote:Can you post a photo of it Dom, with a tape measure for scale? There will be a way to make it work :)

I can have a look at the weekend too.
Cheers Steve!

Might be easier to let you see it at spanners sesh at the weekend - I am not sure my photobucket will share pics any longer. :thumbsup

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:30 am

Dominic wrote:Slightly off topic, but still about transmitters and receivers...

We have a bit of a first world problem. The aerial for our remote control electric gates on our drive way is not ideally located, in as much as it works great from inside the gates, but less so from outside. The aerial is mounted on the inside of the wall and is shorter that the wall. It is mounted with the control unit for the gates so would not be too easy to relocate. It looks like an average car aerial, so I bought a longer car aerial, only to discover that the size of the thread to screw it in is slightly different. I have also tried some adapters, and other aerials for remote control cars. They are all the same type of screw in fixing, but non fit. The manufactures do not supply directly to the public. The local installers are either "too busy for months" or "don't supply that part".

Before I give up on it,.. I wondered if it is feasible to solder on an extension to the existing aerial???

TIA.
Stick an old wire coat hanger on it. Job jobbed
GR Yaris - hooligan spec

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 am

smoo25 wrote:

TIA.
Stick an old wire coat hanger on it. Job jobbed
:thumbsup :cheers

fd

Post by fd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:34 pm

TIA.
The length of the antenna is critical, making it arbitrarily longer (or shorter) will probably make it less efficient assuming the designer knew what length to make the antenna in the first place. It's to do with the frequency (and thus wavelength) of the radio waves being transmitted or received. There will be multiple 'good' lengths as 1 wavelength, 1/2, 1/4 wavelength antennas all work well . . .

You could exactly double it and hope they knew what they were doing. You could find out the frequency used - it's probably marked on the device by law, 4** MHz or 868 MHz would be common licence free frequencies. From that you can figure out the correct length.

Of course you could knock the wall down as that's what's causing the problem . . .

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm

fd wrote:

TIA.
The length of the antenna is critical, making it arbitrarily longer (or shorter) will probably make it less efficient assuming the designer knew what length to make the antenna in the first place. It's to do with the frequency (and thus wavelength) of the radio waves being transmitted or received. There will be multiple 'good' lengths as 1 wavelength, 1/2, 1/4 wavelength antennas all work well . . .

You could exactly double it and hope they knew what they were doing. You could find out the frequency used - it's probably marked on the device by law, 4** MHz or 868 MHz would be common licence free frequencies. From that you can figure out the correct length.

Of course you could knock the wall down as that's what's causing the problem . . .
Cheers Fergus.

Steveweegie had a look at the weekend, seems like a sensible suggestion (other than wall demolition), is to re position the aerial mast higher up the wall using the manufactures extension kit. Or just get used to the idea of waiting a bit longer for the gates to open. :roll:

steve_weegie

Post by steve_weegie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Supercharging the gate motor will also work :twisted: