Attempted Break In Edinburgh

Anything goes in here.....
robin
Jedi Master

Re: Attempted Break In Edinburgh

Post by robin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 am

That's a pretty rubbish gun ... point blank and the guy just runs away? A real bullet fired at that range would have left at least some blood splattered all over the wall from the exit wound. I suspect the gun is firing blanks or he is a terrible shot!
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 am

robin wrote:That's a pretty rubbish gun ... point blank and the guy just runs away? A real bullet fired at that range would have left at least some blood splattered all over the wall from the exit wound. I suspect the gun is firing blanks or he is a terrible shot!
I vaguely remember this from last year - It was in Brazil, and the bloke firing the gun was an off-duty Policeman, so unlikely to be blanks (probably small calibre?)

I picked up one of these systems from Screwfix in the St. Paddy's day sale - £107 delivered.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-premium- ... -kit/54473

Doddle to fit, modular for the future, plus you can add smoke detection etc

It will call up to three phone numbers if it activates - There's a (pricey) webcam add on too, I think.

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:09 pm

Fluoxetine wrote: http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-premium- ... -kit/54473 Doddle to fit, modular for the future, plus you can add smoke detection etc
I like that. I have an alarm but the ability to phone you is cool.

Does it require a mobile sim ?

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Fluoxetine wrote:I picked up one of these systems from Screwfix in the St. Paddy's day sale - £107 delivered.

It will call up to three phone numbers if it activates - There's a (pricey) webcam add on too, I think.
I just bought exactly that on Saturday - no discount though, with the same thoughts about smoke detection!
scott_e wrote: I like that. I have an alarm but the ability to phone you is cool.

Does it require a mobile sim ?
No, it requires connection to a landline. I'm considering some sort of landline extension over power sockets (like home plugs, but for telephone) as my garage is detached. Basically, it calls the 3 numbers 1 after the other and repeats a message that you can define.
I thought a mobile sim would be better, but most of those do SMS, which isn't all that reliable (apparently) and then you'd need to find a sim that stays active for ages, or remember to top up / make a call to keep active etc. Room for error isn't really what you want here..

Chris
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Fluoxetine wrote:
robin wrote:That's a pretty rubbish gun ... point blank and the guy just runs away? A real bullet fired at that range would have left at least some blood splattered all over the wall from the exit wound. I suspect the gun is firing blanks or he is a terrible shot!
I vaguely remember this from last year - It was in Brazil, and the bloke firing the gun was an off-duty Policeman, so unlikely to be blanks (probably small calibre?)

I picked up one of these systems from Screwfix in the St. Paddy's day sale - £107 delivered.

Pretty sure he killed one of the bad guys.

I bought that system for my mum a few years back. Loaded it up with oem IRs from eBay and got door sensors on every external door. Meant to get her the flood detection for the basement and key ring activator/de activator.

I have taken a few calls from it and sent neighbours round.

Batteries in the IR last about a year in a single occupancy house with no pets.

The alarm panel siren is fecking loud in her hallway.

S
W213 All Terrain

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:26 am

The battery replacement aspect is a slight pain, but £15-20 for a job lot of quality batteries and an hour of your time to change them every 12-18 months is hardly the end of the world.

(Most properties in Ireland seem to have an alarm of some sort fitted - Draw from that what you will).

mrbennybennett

Post by mrbennybennett » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 am

My alarm is getting fitted today, hard wired panel and siren box outside, wireless detectors throughout the house and garage and sensors on the front windows where the scum bags tried to break in

We have the option of the text alert if the alarm goes off but have not signed up to it as yet but can do in the future

As the coppers said - if they want in your house they will get in, alarm or no alarm but it should hopefully be a good deterrent for them to walk on to another house that is not alarmed

Im a good few hundred quid out of pocket but hopefully will sleep a bit easier when it is fitted
718 Spyder
BMW 128 ti
VW Polo GTi

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:28 am

you should have confronted them in nothing but the gimp mask, I dont think they would be in a hurry to come back

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:35 pm

mckeann wrote:you should have confronted them in nothing but the gimp mask, I dont think they would be in a hurry to come back
I disagree, Soph should have opened the window and whispered "Shhh the gimps sleeping", and then gauged their reply.
W213 All Terrain

mrbennybennett

Post by mrbennybennett » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:34 pm

More bad news on this one im afraid

My brother flew off on holiday on Friday afternoon but we got a call this morning as his house has been broken into twice :shock:

I appears that some scrotes broke into the house early saturday morning and stole his wives BMW 1 series. Unfortunately the spare key to his X3 was in the 1 series as Craig was meant to be picking them both up to service them next week.

As such they went back last night and took the X3 and went back into the house to steal more stuff - fortunately the neighbours spotted them and called the cops but they were long gone by the time they turned up an hour or so later

They also tried to steal his old Porsche 964 but thankfully he had turned on the kill switch and they couldn't get it started. But they have the keys so he will have to get the locks changed

He has an alarm and it went off but it appears this doesn't put them off

Total nightmare

For info this was the Braids in Edinburgh

So if anyone sees a silver X3 - G14 JPB or a red 1 series - G15 CRB parked up let me know as they tend to dump the cars for a few days to make sure there are no trackers on them

Cheers

Benny
718 Spyder
BMW 128 ti
VW Polo GTi

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:11 am

Horrible. :(

Brazen buggers coming back.

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 am

Scumbags :evil:

While there's no fool-proof solution, I think a couple of big feck-off powerful LED lights with PIR's helps in conjunction with the alarm (which should preferably be monitored).

I installed a 2 camera Arlo system at the weekend - A doddle to do, and perhaps also worth thinking about?

mrbennybennett

Post by mrbennybennett » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:22 pm

X3 has been found and recovered by the police

It was parked up in South Edinburgh thankfully not a scratch on it

Fingers crossed they get the 1 series too
718 Spyder
BMW 128 ti
VW Polo GTi