CMC / Stark Honda Conversion

Anything goes in here.....
ironside
Site Admin

CMC / Stark Honda Conversion

Post by ironside » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post up some details on the Honda conversion CMC recently carried out for me.

I only popped in for a quick chat to meet Craig but after he showed me Robin's just about completed conversion in the workshop and quite a few further visits, emails, phone calls, coffees and biscuits I eventually settled on the spec for a Honda conversion for CMC to carry out on my car:

* Standard Honda K20 NA Engine
* Stark conversion kit
* Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel
* Stark exhaust manifold
* Stark catalytic converter
* 2bular 7" H1 repackable silencer
* ITG Induction Kit
* Hondata KPro ECU

I did my bit by supplying Craig with the necessary Honda donor bits procured from a Civic breaker in Birmingham:

Looks lovely eh? This ended up being a K20A2 engine and gearbox from a Civic EP3, simply because it was much easier to get hold of than a JDM spec package from an Integra.
Compression test was fine so we decided on a light refresh of the engine/gearbox before it would be fitted which included:

* New thermostat
* New inlet & exhaust manifold gaskets
* New cam cover & oil sump gaskets
* New spark plugs
* New diff seals
* New timing chain, tensioner and guides
* New OEM clutch
* New aux tensioner (mine was shot)
* Flush/replace Engine/Gearbox oil & filter
* Refinish the cam cover in black
* Steam clean

I planned on taking the car to TDI North for mapping on their rollers with the Hondata ECU. They are very busy, so I booked a slot with them before any conversion work had actually started. :roll:
Stark finally delivered the complete kit a bit later than originally expected and Callum got to work:

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Some of the parts (including the KPro ECU!) still hadn't come so it started to look a bit tight to get the car ready for my date at TDI North, especially as I still had to get 3-500 miles of flywheel running in done beforehand.
As has been mentioned so many times by other customers; Craig and Callum worked like Trojans to get the car done on time and they delivered.

The initial conversion (still on a borrowed standard ECU and immobiliser bypass box) was done in a little over a week and then handed over to me to do the "extended test" and run in the flywheel. Lots of you will have already driven or paxed a converted car but I hadn't. I've never even been in a Civic Type R. I was totally unprepared for what it would be like.

Totally worth it.

Below VTEC it's actually quite docile. It's very civilised with very little noise off the back box. The extra torque makes relaxed driving effortless - you can trundle through town at 30mph in 5th gear. VTEC is ridiculous, there's such a change in noise from the intake that I honestly thought I'd broken it the first time and jumped straight off the throttle. Once I'd got over the shock of that the extra power up to the limiter is just epic.

There were a few teething issues with the initial conversion. The worst of which was 2nd gear not engaging almost all of the time, I ended up just skipping it altogether until I'd got my running in done over the weekend before giving it back to Craig. I was initially worried my donor gearbox was knackered but it wasn't, it was resolved with some adjustment of the selector cables and hasn't had a problem there since.

The new ECU arrived (just) in time for my slot at TDI North and I drove down there on the base map supplied. You can tell driving it (and later confirmed by TDI North) that this isn't the same map as the standard ECU. I had intended to settle the debate on whether or not the standard ECU runs lean but wasn't able to do this. I was able to confirm that it DOES run lean on the standard KPro map. For anyone intending to drive their car down, behave yourself. No VTEC, yo.

So, how did it do on the rollers?

233.9bhp at 7759rpm and 173.3lbft at 5725rpm :D
Dotted lines are the standard KPro "before" map, solid line is after.

Massive gains in VTEC, you can really feel the difference. The main change, as can be seen on the graph, is that VTEC changeover is no longer so aggressive. Instead, it pulls continuously. You still get the change in intake noise but not the dramatic change in power delivery at the crossover point. In a nutshell, what TDI North do is run the car up on the low cam profile then again on the high cam profile and overlay the two plots. The point where the two plots diverge is roughly the sweet spot where the VTEC crossover is moved point to. On my car this is about 4600rpm. This gets rid of the wobble present on graph of the standard map. The VTEC crossover point is also windowed so that it doesn't happen if you just wander over 4600rpm on part throttle on the motorway.

Aside from that, manners are much improved. On both the standard ECU and the standard map on the KPro the car would spit and kangaroo on light throttle/town driving when stone cold. All this misbehaviour went away following the mapping session. It does idle much higher when cold but settles down to about 800rpm once warm.

I'm VERY pleased with the result. I've got effectively double the power of the standard engine and it has absolutely transformed the car. The quality of the conversion fit and finish is very high.
There is more vibration than was present with the standard engine. It was quite a surprise the very first drive but does diminish a lot after 500 to 1000 miles. Now it's only noticeable at idle, when on the move it feels the same as standard.
The service from CMC has been fantastic, despite the pressure of the timeline. The few niggles that cropped up post conversion have been dealt with very quickly and without fuss (or bill ;) ). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same path to anyone.

Cheers,
Simon.

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Re: CMC / Stark Honda Conversion

Post by DDtB » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:07 pm

Having had a quick shot just after it was mapped, I can confirm it's pretty epic!

Gave me the fright of my life when the v-tec noise kicked in. :shock:

Properly impressive little car now....

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 pm

:drive :thumbsup
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Great write up and result Si, with hospital I must have missed the timeline which has been very short.

When you think that N1 had a brand new JDM engine fitted by BliNK and put out 201hp, it shows what a difference a custom exhaust manifold, custom exhaust, Hondata or K-Pro, and proper mapping make, they are a no brainer. Mine had not even been on a RR until it went to Wallace, they got it up to 218hp but only by fitting a £450 SuperChip, so your 240 is a big step up.

Yellow N3 was also a new JDM engine BLiNK conversion but never went on a RR as I had it S/C straight away with a K-Pro and correct parts. I think Scuffers must have been out of the equation when I got mine as they were Link-Up conversions and I can not believe that he would have let them go out like that, especially to tut and the first in Scotland.

We are certainly building up the numbers and it is great that Monty has now got a few under his belt. As you know he has worked intensively on N1, N3, N3, but always the car and never the engine or gearbox. Change the oil and filter regularly depending on track use, I wish mine used more, and it will never miss a beat.

tut

ps:- driveshafts, CV joints, wheel bearings, were a different matter, but I think that the developments have sorted those problems out.

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Conversion looks great, lots to think about if / when HGF occurs. Better start saving now :D

I was in Andy's Honda'd Elise at Donnigton and it was truly epic, OK Andy's drivings skills were a bit special too.

van cleef

Post by van cleef » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Great write up with all that's involved.

Car looks brilliant and I bet it's a hoot to drive and I'm sure the vtec gets a little addictive. I've always been hankering for the conversion myself but the costs involved keep me held back.

Keep us posted to to see how your getting on with the conversion after you start clocking up the miles.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:28 am

Great write up. Sounds like you have yourself a very nice elise now. 8)

Loving the registration number.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Great work! And another thumbs up for the Reg ..:-)

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:17 am

Great result Simon. Are you doing Croft July 1st?
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp