Mobile Phones

Anything goes in here.....
campbell

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by campbell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Incredible talents in RBS these days. !!
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

woody

Post by woody » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:23 pm

campbell wrote:Incredible talents in RBS these days. !!
Was Campbell.

I've stopped taking contracts as if I'm locked in for 2 years then that's another lump of money a month for insurance I'd want to pay. Have decided I'm happier with a cheaper phone that, if it needs replaced costs the same or less than 2 years worth of insurance payments + excess anyway.

Joanna has a windows phone. It's awful. Love the look of it but it functions so poorly and the (pre-loaded app) maps are hideous to look at and widly inaccurate.

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Fcuk it. Moto G4 bought from Tesco for the £20 off deal - something else to look fwd to when I get home 8)

Cheers for the heads up :thumbsup
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Agree with some of the comments about buying the handset outright. If you take a phone on a contract you're effectively taking out a loan to buy the handset, often at a horrendous APR if you do the maths.

I always buy my iphone outright and upgrade every 2 years, getting a very healthy chunk back on resale value. Works out extremely cost effective. Rolling £10 a month 3 SIM in the phone and Bob is your Mothers Brother.

Regards,

Jeremy
Elise S1 Red Edition
Volvo S90 Momentum Edition
M140 Shadow Edition

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Jeremy wrote:Agree with some of the comments about buying the handset outright. If you take a phone on a contract you're effectively taking out a loan to buy the handset, often at a horrendous APR if you do the maths.

I always buy my iphone outright and upgrade every 2 years, getting a very healthy chunk back on resale value. Works out extremely cost effective. Rolling £10 a month 3 SIM in the phone and Bob is your Mothers Brother.

Regards,

Jeremy
So have many people taken out the Apple interest free deal on the 7?
W213 All Terrain

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Never thought of buying and fitting a SIM. I did get a good deal though, iPhone 6S Plus, unlimited, 4GB data, £35.

That equates to £840 whereas a new one would be £600 plus around £10/month for a SIM with the same benefits = £840. I presume the buyer would then be better off by buying the new iPhone 8 which I would get with a new contract, and selling his 6.

tut

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Bumping an oldish thread but I'm looking for a change of network so wondered what the current thinking was. I've been with O2 for years but they've just got rid of TuGo which I'd used a lot in the past when abroad and had saved myself a fortune. They've replaced it with Wifi calling but you need a phone running O2 firmware (mine doesn't) and have to be in the UK to use, so it's pretty pointless.

I quite like the look of Three as they've got feel-at-home which should make it cheaper when travelling - got a trip to the states booked for later in the year and O2 roaming costs there are extortionate. Only downside to Three looks like the UK coverage as from what I've read they've stopped piggy backing on other networks so a lot of Scotland doesn't look great. Any thoughts?
Exige V6

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Have been with 3 for years. Coverage has been great in most places, bit I think rural Abz was poor.

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Another happy Three customer, of 3 years now. Formerly O2 as well.

Feel at Home roaming brilliant. Uk coverage variable but I notice in many rural areas they do appear to have a calls signal, just not data. So some piggy backing may still be happening (in fact I thought Ofcom were mandating that?)

Whole family now on Three and SIM only deals for 4Gb and unlimited calls & texts are £9-10 per mth.

Customer service is good.

Wifi calling (old TuGo equivalent) works well, fully integrated to iPhone, not sure how Android implements it though.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I went with 3, further to recommendations. Their phone reception was flakey at best at my office, 1 mile to the east of the centre of Glasgow. Their customer service was great, pity their coverage just wasn't up to it.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Dominic wrote:I went with 3, further to recommendations. Their phone reception was flakey at best at my office, 1 mile to the east of the centre of Glasgow. Their customer service was great, pity their coverage just wasn't up to it.
For static locations, the Wifi calling addresses that. Couple of venues I work at have weak or nil 3 mobile signal. But wifi calling kicks in automatically and I think it transports texts too.

It even kicks in at the house occasionally as I think our ground floor is borderline for the mast location. (Upstairs we get 4G no prob which often exceeds the wifi speed Image)

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am

campbell wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm
Dominic wrote:I went with 3, further to recommendations. Their phone reception was flakey at best at my office, 1 mile to the east of the centre of Glasgow. Their customer service was great, pity their coverage just wasn't up to it.
For static locations, the Wifi calling addresses that. Couple of venues I work at have weak or nil 3 mobile signal. But wifi calling kicks in automatically and I think it transports texts too.

It even kicks in at the house occasionally as I think our ground floor is borderline for the mast location. (Upstairs we get 4G no prob which often exceeds the wifi speed Image)
What is the quality like on wifi calling? Need to move Sarahs phone.
W213 All Terrain

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:33 am

Think I'll give 3 a go. Just been offered what looks like a stonking deal on a business contract:
• 1725 Cross network any time minutes
• 2000 3 – 3 minutes
• 1000 Landline minutes
• 1150 text messages
• All You Can Eat Data (No upper limit of fair use policy) This also supports tethering at no additional cost
Monthly cost Ex VAT: £17.29
Monthly cost inc VAT: £20.75

I thought they'd stopped unlimited tethering contracts but it appears not
Exige V6

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 am

Probably no good for business use, but I use Plusnet on a 1 month rolling contract which costs 8 quid a month, gives me 4GB data, and 1000 minutes and 1000 sms.
4g, never had an issue with coverage, and their customer services have answered quickly and been great when I've called.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Sanjoy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am

What is the quality like on wifi calling? Need to move Sarahs phone.
Audio is same as Three's native FM-radio-standard calls. Chops occasionally and calls can drop if wifi is weak but I've been happy with it. I'll call you with it active if you like, so you can judge 8)