ed

Re: Nico Rosberg retires

Post by ed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Obviously believes he cant/wont win it again..... :roll:
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

ryallm

Post by ryallm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Never saw that coming, but respect from me for a bold decision.

As someone over on SELOC pointed out, there will be a certain Spaniard going mental on the phone right now :-) Love to see Button unretire himself for the seat though - I seem to remember he stacked up rather well against Lewis at McLaren .

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Had to read it a couple of times...

And yes, I agree, he has rationalised that this will be his only title so quit at the top.

for me, it does make me wonder if Merc did indeed 'help' him this year?

Wonder how solid Max's contract is?

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 pm

ed wrote:Obviously believes he cant/wont win it again..... :roll:
:thumbsup
Scuffers wrote:Had to read it a couple of times...

And yes, I agree, he has rationalised that this will be his only title so quit at the top.

:withstupid

My respect for him just increased (a bit).
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:11 pm

My theory....This was a nice cosy chat between Merc and Rosberg. He's still under contract for two years so he can't go without their blessing. This saves Merc money, means Hamilton will be happier and gets them more positive PR next season. Not saying he was pushed but i think this is a win for everyone.
Focus ST estate, i3s and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

vet111s

Post by vet111s » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Would explain paddy Lowe getting increasingly anxious on the radio at the last race.

kerryxeg

Post by kerryxeg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:21 pm

WOW, respect for making such a clear decision. His reaction after winning certainly suggested he was giving up a lot of family life to achieve his goals.

I wonder how solid Alonso's contract is?

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Lazydonkey wrote:My theory....This was a nice cosy chat between Merc and Rosberg. He's still under contract for two years so he can't go without their blessing. This saves Merc money, means Hamilton will be happier and gets them more positive PR next season. Not saying he was pushed but i think this is a win for everyone.
Interesting. Nice theory. I can see where you are coming from. Not sure I subscribe to it though. New regs next year might well mean that Merc are not as dominant. While Nico is not quite in the same league as Hamilon or Alonso, he is not far behind, and would have made for a strong line up for going into an unpredictable season of new regs. While new regs come in, I would have expected Merc to want their drivers to be a constant. IMHO, Nico is stepping away while at the top, knowing that he is unlikely to get there again. I respect that. It will be interesting to see who takes his seat. Someone to play second to Hamilton?... maybe a youngster (Verstappen type) who could turn out to give Lewis a hard time? I better keep my phone close by in-case Toto is trying to get hold of me. :mrgreen:

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Dominic wrote:
ed wrote:Obviously believes he cant/wont win it again..... :roll:
:thumbsup
Scuffers wrote:Had to read it a couple of times...

:withstupid

My respect for him just increased (a bit).
Alternatively he actually feels there isn't anything else to be gained and has realised that he is missing out on raising his daughter by jetting all over the world and training etc..? Seems perfectly logical to me.

Surely Merc will just stick Wehrlein in the other car? If their dominance continues, that'll be another championship for Hamilton anyway.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Corranga wrote:Alternatively he actually feels there isn't anything else to be gained and has realised that he is missing out on raising his daughter by jetting all over the world and training etc..? Seems perfectly logical to me.

Surely Merc will just stick Wehrlein in the other car? If their dominance continues, that'll be another championship for Hamilton anyway.
I don't buy that..

there are only 21 weekends of work + some testing a year, I bet he has more free time at home than your average working man.

he's only 31..............

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:00 pm

I may be wrong, but I suspect that there is a bit more "work" to it than 21 weekends per year. I get the impression it is actually quite a tough time commitment. I do think work life balance has been a factor in his decision, which gets my respect.

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Dominic wrote:I may be wrong, but I suspect that there is a bit more "work" to it than 21 weekends per year. I get the impression it is actually quite a tough time commitment. I do think work life balance has been a factor in his decision, which gets my respect.
as somebody that's worked away from home (usually several thousand miles away) for years at a time, I simply don't have any time for that argument.

How about anybody in the armed services? bet they have far less 'home' time...

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Scuffers wrote:
Dominic wrote:I may be wrong, but I suspect that there is a bit more "work" to it than 21 weekends per year. I get the impression it is actually quite a tough time commitment. I do think work life balance has been a factor in his decision, which gets my respect.
as somebody that's worked away from home (usually several thousand miles away) for years at a time, I simply don't have any time for that argument.

How about anybody in the armed services? bet they have far less 'home' time...
Was not talking about you or the armed forces, was talking about F1 drivers. Was also not looking for an argument. I was simply pointing out that I genuinely believe that the F1 drivers work a bit harder that just 21 weekends each year. If you believe otherwise, that is of course your opinion to which you are entitled, but not one that I share.