Ski centre run

Anything goes in here.....
Sanjøy

Ski centre run

Post by Sanjøy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I have been a very luck boy of late, managed two secure a pass for a social weekend in Aviemore two weekends ago and then a family trip for my birthday back to Aviemore last weekend. Both trips I took the long road up over Glenshee, Tomintoul and the Lecht, my god we are blessed with these roads. The first run was only the second time I have taken the 911 over these roads and an good opportunity to get a feel for it and last Friday was one of the best drives of my life. My better half headed up earlier in the day in the wagon with the kids leaving me to come up at twilight.

The lower section of Glenshee has had some work done to it (finally) and is as sublime as ever, maybe even better than before. A few seasons of heavy snow and ploughing will no doubt smash it up again so get up there while you have a chance. On the long drag up to the ski centre the road is a bit mashed up and at speed there is a bit of movement as you bounce in the truck divots. I remember chasing D up there in the 111r SC and the 340RR a few years back.

Over the summit the sun was starting to set and the mountains were lit up perfectly with the engine note bouncing perfectly off the rocks and mini bridges you go over.

Quick splash and dash at Braemar (12.9 mpg!) along with a Boost bar to get me there and it was sunnies down for the Tomintoul blast.

At this point I recall the first of the two runs over the Tomintoul run, I turn left into the glen and had a special combustion engine moment. First couple of bends and I thought there was a problem with the car, sounded like the offside rear left was spinning up. Nope, it was the sound of a euro fighter coming up the glen, boom, it ripped past ~100ft above me. Damn that was awesome. Seconds later boom another. Dear me, lucky boy, bottom of a glen which effective worked as a sub woofer enclosure amplifying everything and then a final fighter ripped over. Unforgettable.

Tearing over the Tomintoul road reminded me of many a TT event, keep looking in the mirror expecting to see Tut cruising up behind me in 6th. Scenery here was awesome, the browns lit up by the setting sun you could not help but slow down to take it all in.

The Lecht always gets me as a tough road as you really need to build confidence for those blind and I mean REALLY blind crests and swoops. The road looks like fly paper that been laid down over the top, fast swooping and in great condition. Had to throttle back on one run as I closed on a campervan that kept getting lost in the peak and troughs of the swoops, was worried I would crest and then run in to the back of them. Down through the Bridge of Brown is a great wee technical section, much respect to any of the cyclist that have mustered it.

After that it’s a nice cruise in towards Aviemore and a nice warm glass of red was waiting for me. Lucky boy.

Twilight Friday was the perfect time for a run, I came back Sunday afternoon and the traffic was a bit of a pain and there were a lot of cyclist so much more of a cruise. Learnt a few more thing about the car too, pushing the stick into manual stops it shifting gear mid bend and that you can dial in some gear changes on the PDK so that it then executes them revs permitting which can be handy.

We talk a lot about euro trips etc. but I think we have some of the best roads in our back garden and cant wait to get back up there.

S
W213 All Terrain

flyingscot68

Re: Ski centre run

Post by flyingscot68 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:30 pm

:thumbsup

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 pm

That's my favourite Sunday morning run. Usually starts out as a quick blast and ends up the a phone call to wife to tell her I'll be home way later.

Shug

Post by Shug » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:44 pm

I hear you Sanj. Very nearly went the A9 when going up to Aviemore recently, but decided to not pussy out at the last minute and took the turn for the hills - similarly had a great run. Now I'm trying to plan another venture up that way as soon as I can manage. You do forget just how good it is...
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

kerryxeg

Post by kerryxeg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Likewise, the last 2 weekends have got me back into taking the a car out for a spin. We do have some great roads.

Next weekend is going to be a bit different though taking the motorhome and the hounds to Camusdarrach Arisaig for a long weekend.

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:14 pm

I was in Aviemore last weekend again and had another great run over the Lecht too Sanjoy. :

Steve.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Good write up Sanj, and great pics. I was there over the weekend twice, mailed Kinger who was at Grantown to say hello but he did not come back to tell me where he was parked.

Did not do the Lecht, stuck to Keith, Dufftown, Tomintoul, Grantown, then back again, better roads than the Lecht stretch for me. Taking the back roads in N3 when I go into Elgin to visit V so getting daily fun in the sun.

tut

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Awesome, I did the glenshee run on Thursday, was epic surface mostly good all the way like you say. Didn't make it passed the ski centre tho didn't have time. :-(
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Shug wrote:I hear you Sanj. Very nearly went the A9 when going up to Aviemore recently, but decided to not pussy out at the last minute and took the turn for the hills - similarly had a great run. Now I'm trying to plan another venture up that way as soon as I can manage. You do forget just how good it is...
I actually thought about your sorry ass too. Did you not break a toelink post TT coming in to braemar from the North?
C7Steve wrote:I was in Aviemore last weekend again and had another great run over the Lecht too Sanjoy. :
By my counting that is 6 times I have driven the Lecht in the last 2 weeks :)
kerryxeg wrote:Likewise, the last 2 weekends have got me back into taking the a car out for a spin.
This is the first time post kids that I am getting back into taking a car out for the hell of it. Mind is already scheming for other trips up North where I send the family in the wagon and I take the fast route :twisted: Anyone have a but n ben they need to rent?!
W213 All Terrain

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 pm

tut wrote:Good write up Sanj, and great pics. I was there over the weekend twice, mailed Kinger who was at Grantown to say hello but he did not come back to tell me where he was parked.
tut
Hi Tut, afraid we were over there in the van and had gone on a walk on the "Dava Way" with the dog, our intention was to reach Divie Viaduct. But you could say it was a "bridge too far". We just got north of Dava and decided we'd better turn round as we'd taken way too long. Finally got back to the van knackered and burnt at about 5.30. Next time I'll do a circular route.

Hope you had a good run, it was a cracking day for Roof off driving.

a4drk

Post by a4drk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 pm

My favourite road too - discovered it last year heading from Nethy Bridge to watch Ferg's boy do the soap box run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two negatives make a positive but only in Scotland do two positives make a negative - 'Aye right.'

S2 Exige
BMW 435d M Sport - 375bhp..... and stops now (big brakes!😁)
Work Horse - Ford Transit - Full of crap spec....... 170bhp one :-)

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Great write up.

With the exception of a trip down to London and Walshy last year, that is more or less all my Elise has done in the last 3 years. Decent weather weekend - Dundee to Tomintoul, usually via Kirriemuir / Glenisla.
Weather looks good, take the Elise to work - half day and up to Tomintoul...
Perfect from here as, erm, google maps says it takes 2h15 each way, so I don't need a day pass away from wife and kiddo :)

Be a shame not to since it's right on our doorsteps too :mrgreen:
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Nice Pics Sanj.............but there is something amiss with your shed if that is all the mpg you are getting.
(It has a bigger drink problem than you :D )
I have no doubt it is getting spanked but even then you should be seeing 18-22mpg?

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

H8OAG wrote:Nice Pics Sanj.............but there is something amiss with your shed if that is all the mpg you are getting.
(It has a bigger drink problem than you :D )
I have no doubt it is getting spanked but even then you should be seeing 18-22mpg?

:cheers
Will IM you :?
W213 All Terrain