Swimming in the nasty stuff

Anything goes in here.....
douglasgdmw

Swimming in the nasty stuff

Post by douglasgdmw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Farmer came to see us last night to let us know our filtration system is not working and smelly bog of nasty stuff is now at the bottom of the field.

As the place was converted in 2000 I believe there is a septic tank at the top of the field, this then feeds down into a reed/gravel bed which is then suppose to filter the nasty stuff and then let it naturally decompose.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any firms in the Edinburgh area that they would recommend to get out and let us know where the problem is. It could be as simple as a blocked pipe or worst case the reed/gravel is not working (which would I suspect would be a massive exercise).

Any knowledgeable advice or recommended firms appreciated.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

ed

Re: Swimming in the nasty stuff

Post by ed » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:29 pm

www.lanesfordrains.co.uk

I used to use the above to empty my old tank. Not sure if they could help with your issue though, hope this helps! :thumbsup
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

Dark

Post by Dark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Joe Lee at Brig Environmental. Based in Callander but travel all over.
Have used them a few time to service & repair our Kargester BioDisc system, very efficient, no issues.
https://www.brigenvironmental.co.uk/

Just for having the tank emptied I use Stuart Craft at JC Environmental. Again very good service, we even get a Christmas card! :)
http://www.jcenvironmentalsolutions.com/
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

Super7

Post by Super7 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Chuck a dead animal in the septic tank, you've probably been using too much detergents or bleach.

van cleef

Post by van cleef » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:36 pm

When is you last have the tank emptied? Sounds like you've over filled it to the point it's over flowing out the over flow pipe....pumping raw sewage out.

But I might be wrong.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:04 pm

The septic tank is at the top of the field and the filtration system is at the bottom.

The septic tank is shared by the other 2 properties and our neighbour had it emptied 2 weeks ago. I believe they empty it around the same time each year. No expert but dont think that is the cause however we are never down the bottom of the field so it may have been like that for a while.

Will contact the companies to see whether they have any experience of reed/gravel filtration

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:43 am

douglasgdmw wrote:The septic tank is at the top of the field and the filtration system is at the bottom.

The septic tank is shared by the other 2 properties and our neighbour had it emptied 2 weeks ago. I believe they empty it around the same time each year. No expert but dont think that is the cause however we are never down the bottom of the field so it may have been like that for a while.

Will contact the companies to see whether they have any experience of reed/gravel filtration

George
Ah ha a clue

Did anyone throw anything in to get the good bugs going again?

As without the good bugs you just have a tank full of sh*t

We have not emptied our tank for 7 years
Landrover 90 = Muddy shed spec
Fiat panda = Couldn't care less spec
Landrover ?? = Muddy shrek spec
Unimog 404S = Very slow silly offroader spec
Kubota F1900 = Snowplough spec

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:06 am

Had a look at the invoice from Scottish Water that we got and it only states emptying the tank.

So dont know if that is included as standard or whether it is an additional charge.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:06 am

Try a septic tank starter of some sort

You can find them online

kerryxeg

Post by kerryxeg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:48 pm

I presume it is a plastic tank, this may be a stupid question, but check the tank hasn't moved. If it is in a wet bit of ground they can become buoyant if completely emptied. Usually they leave some fluid in the tank to keep the bug process working and emptying is not exactly a scientific process. I'd also check around the tank and see if the ground is wet just below the surface - near the tank could be a tank problem. The tank should have a vent, is it still clear. It doesn't usually do much, but it will have a bit of venting to do if the tank was empty.

If the tank was installed in 2000 (mine was around the same time), it will be a basic plastic tank, so no internal chambers or lining to keep bugs active. They take a bit of time to reestablish the process. If they work properly in theory they won't need emptying and what comes out should be relatively clear fluid. That doesn't mean they won't smell when they vent as new fluid enters though.

Beyond the tank process being unstable, I guess the problem could be a split tank or the inflow or outflow pipe which has become detached.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Kerry,

Not investigated in much detail but I do not think its the tank as the waste is beside the filtration system (about 50m down the field from the septic tank).

Everything around the tank is perfectly fine.

Looks to me that the reeds/gravel are not doing their job but it was mucky enough down thete that I did not want to get the wellys too stinky.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

kerryxeg

Post by kerryxeg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:10 pm

I looked into a reed bed system a few years ago, but didn't go ahead because they were not that easy to maintain and hard frost was a concern. As I understand it a reed bed system should be a series of tanks which have reeds in them to reduce ammonia. They need even flow through the tanks to work properly, So if you have any preferential route through the beds, the liquid will basically run through untreated and pool wherever it ends up.

The emptying of the tank may just have changed the tank output to being a bit more toxic which means the bed issue is more obvious than before.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Contacted "Lanesfor drains" as I noticed that they had an office in Broxburn so are relatively local. Suspect I will have some convincing to do with the neighbours as for them to come out with a jet-vac crew attend, do a cctv investigation and let us know the possible problem could be comes to £630.

For that work, with travel time, use of equipment etc, it seems pretty reasonable.However I can imagine the neighbours may bulk at that quote when we do not get any guarantee of resolution.

As usually happens with these types of things with shared steadings. I have been asked to contact other companies (some they have picked out of yellow pages) so will have to go through the painful process of compiling many quotes just for the tightest neighbour to choose the cheapest firm but does not tell us anything concrete.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 pm

A jet vac followed by a CCTV investigation will tell you that sh*t is going into the reed bed

Well

You kind of know that as you have a pig pile of sh*t at the reed bed

I think this is something biological not mechanical

You will find someone is my mother and is pouring a gallon of bleach down the bog each week which is killing the good bugs

Dark

Post by Dark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 pm

George,
Did you get this sorted?
We've just had Joe from Brig Environmental here servicing our sewage pumps - nice!
Cheers, Mark
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)