CUP 220 - S CUP or Exige v6

Anything goes in here.....
C7Steve

Re: CUP 220 - S CUP

Post by C7Steve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am

scott_e wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 am
Morning. Another almost there update ... again apologies for my ramblings over the years lads. Hoping to be back in a Lotus next summer if all goes to plan.

Find myself completely torn between an Elise V3 derivative and an early Exige v6. Contacted Leven, going to pop in later this year. There is also the possibility of the 2020 Elise making an appearance.

-I wont track the car.
-Will be a second car for sunny days.
-Currently do 4000 miles a year in total.
-Garage doors are 2000mm wide. Exige v6 will just fit but new garage door would be useful to increase clearance.
-Exige v6 is more grown up in many ways, v6 sounds great.
-Elise i suspect will be easier to live with, cheaper to run, probably more fun, probably cheaper to purchase too depending on model.
-Heart says Exige.
-Head says Elise (in the context of Lotus :D )
-My first Lotus was the Exige 190 NA (2005 model) purchased in 2007.
-I have an Exige t-shirt I am not wearing until I have one again ...

Interested in other people experiences when trying both cars.

Completely torn, i switch my mind on a weekly basis and have consumed pretty much every youtube video (including a few from SE members found along the way).

:( just spotted Tut's reply to this thread.
Contact Graham King as he may be selling his V6. It’s in your colour. :wink:

Kinger on here.

Steve.

j2 lot

Re: CUP 220 - S CUP or Exige v6

Post by j2 lot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:13 pm

There is little difference from the drivers seat in your surroundings and the Elise has more than enough power/ handling to use on the road but the Exige has a better sound track and more visual presence. Elise will probably be cheaper to run and maintain.
My guess is the mental tussle will continue until the right car comes up at the right time,there is no bad choice to be made here :thumbsup

I am waiting for the next Elise version but I suspect it might be a much more expensive proposition and it could still be a few years away yet. :roll:
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Is there not a concern on the clutch for the V6 however or is that just related to the 350 and above variants?

Potential bills and possible failures would surely be a consideration in choice.

Ready to be completely blasted if my info is not relevant

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

tenkfeet

Post by tenkfeet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:33 pm

If you have the T-shirt it needs to be an Exige. :-)

Went from a 250 Cup to a Exige Sport 350 as I preferred the power delivery and the noise. Only downside is the Exige is thirsty and the small fuel tank was annoying for me. Drive both and still get the Exige.

Having garage door issues myself and thought standard was seven foot, 2100mm. Thinking of taking a half row of bricks out and getting a bigger door.
No lotus
Exige Sport 350 (Sold)
Elise Cup 250 (Air con and radio tubby spec) (Sold)
Evora S (sold)

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 pm
Is there not a concern on the clutch for the V6 however or is that just related to the 350 and above variants?

Potential bills and possible failures would surely be a consideration in choice.

Ready to be completely blasted if my info is not relevant Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Seems to be the 350 models (to my knowledge) when Lotus changed some parts for cheapness. My car has been ok. So far.........

scott_e

Re: CUP 220 - S CUP

Post by scott_e » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm

C7Steve wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am

Contact Graham King as he may be selling his V6. It’s in your colour. :wink:

Kinger on here.

Steve.
Has to be said Steve your taste in cars is second to none :lol:

Thanks for the heads up, well worth a chat.

tenkfeet wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:33 pm
If you have the T-shirt it needs to be an Exige. :-)

Went from a 250 Cup to a Exige Sport 350 as I preferred the power delivery and the noise. Only downside is the Exige is thirsty and the small fuel tank was annoying for me. Drive both and still get the Exige.

Having garage door issues myself and thought standard was seven foot, 2100mm. Thinking of taking a half row of bricks out and getting a bigger door.
Have central pillar between the garage doors holding the upper floor. Only option is larger doors, probably roller type, save maybe 200mm each side.

Not concerned about the fuel consumption to be honest.

j2 lot wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:13 pm
My guess is the mental tussle will continue until the right car comes up at the right time,there is no bad choice to be made here :thumbsup
Sounds like you have been here too :) At least the brand is decided. Did consider a Cayman but Lotus is where the heart is.

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Later Supercharged Elises are more different to a 190 NA Exige than we might assume. Power delivery / torque styles, build quality, handling setup etc etc.

Basically it sounds like you can enjoy making your decision based on emotion (what an opportunity!!) so go drive both then toss a coin.

You’ll soon know
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

renmure

Post by renmure » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Rosssco wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 am
Totally subjective, but as lovely as the Elise is, its more of less the same formula as the Exige S2.. Same-ish weight, similar 4-cyl engine. Seems like a more up to date iteration of the S2 Exige. Watched one of the Carfection video reviews, and that was his conclusion. Not that it makes it any less appealing.!

For a road car, the S3 Exige seems the better proposition. I wouldn't trade my ratty VX for a later Elise, but I might once early S3 Exiges reach the £30k mark..
I'd go with that as well. I wasn't overly taken by the looks of S3 Exige at first and thought it needed to look meaner and more racy. I think the latest variations look more to my taste with bigger vents and scoops and wings and all that boy stuff. However, over time I've softened my views on the earlier shape and seeing any Exige on the road looks spectacular.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:20 am

renmure wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:17 pm
I wasn't overly taken by the looks of S3 Exige at first and thought it needed to look meaner and more racy. I think the latest variations look more to my taste with bigger vents and scoops and wings and all that boy stuff.
I completely agree with that Jim, the Exige S2 looked mean as hell more so with the extended scope. The S3 first versions lost much of that but with the 380 the mean look returned. Just a shame the 380 is outwith my budget and even if it wasn't I am not sure I would be comfortable spending that amount on a car that sits in the garage 75% of the year.

Spotted a line on my news feed last night that confirmed a new petrol model in 2020. Will try and find the link !

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:31 am

"Expect a 2020s version of the Elan, too."
Ref: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... and-brexit

"but confirmed a new “combustion-powered sports car” will be introduced late next year. It will go on sale in 2021, but there’s no word on what it is at this point" "The upcoming model will have a petrol engine, but Popham said vehicles that arrive later will be available with an electric powertrain. The executive also suggested the company could skip hybrids altogether, but that’s not a certainty at this point. Little is known about the upcoming sports car, but it will likely resemble the Evija as the company has previously said the car “signals the start of a contemporary new design language” for Lotus."
Ref: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/new-l ... d-in-2021/

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:05 am

campbell wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm
Basically it sounds like you can enjoy making your decision based on emotion (what an opportunity!!) so go drive both then toss a coin.
True, but honestly its taken a long time, a lot of financial planning and patience to get here. With 3 young kids I had to get in a position where I didn't feel guilty about spending cash on a car I want. Have always enjoyed driving, I need a vehicle that makes it fun again what ever i end up with 8)

My father's day card this year had a bunch of questions with blank spaces for the kids to write answers. One of the question was:

"What does daddy always say" the answer they wrote, "I want a Lotus car".

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am

Ha ha. Priceless.

I am with you 100% on the ins and outs of juggling family finances & priorities with the privilege (frivolity even?) of running a silly, selfish sports car. And I have only 2 kids to juggle.

What I’m getting at is, now that the funding is in place, just go with your heart. Why not? Life is too short, as they so often say...
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 am

campbell wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am
What I’m getting at is, now that the funding is in place, just go with your heart. Why not? Life is too short, as they so often say...
Totally agree. :drive

Steve.

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:05 pm

campbell wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am
Life is too short, as they so often say...
:thumbsup :) totally agree. Its taken me a long time to figure that out. Need to do a bit of livin' again.

Thanks for the support as always guys :D

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm

(IMHO obvz) The best car of the lot is the Elise S3 plain old s/c variant, like what Campbell has (oh and I have one too ;-)). These cars are perfect for what you want to do, which is leave in garage most of the time, go out for a blast and park it up for another month. You cannot see what they look like from the driver's seat ... and inside they are all pretty similar (Elise/Exige). The Elise is still the most nimble (still lighter if somewhat fatter than 20 years ago ;-)) and you don't really need more power than it has on the road - there aren't many overtakes you would pull off in an Exige 350+ that you wouldn't also pull off in an Elise 220. Also 220 Elise is cheap (compared to Elise Cups and Exiges) - to buy, and to run.

Of course part of the fun is in the shopping for that perfect car (after all, it's just sitting in the garge - what does it matter whether it's your garage or another) but if you're serious about getting on with it, the lower the cost, the easier it will be (including mission control buy in).

Carpe diem and all that, but use your head as well as your heart.

Boomshanka
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut