What car to get...

Anything goes in here.....
Dominic

Re: What car to get...

Post by Dominic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

DDtB wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am
I really enjoy my xc70 tbh. Part of that is down to the old school tech. Had a new Astra at the weekend and it had far too many distracting driver aids.. like steering against me if I changed lanes without indicating and constant flashing lights on the dash and speedo etc to tell me about cars ahead or beside me etc

Sitting on the m8 for hours in rush hour traffic is a waste of a good car so and old Volvo is perfect. Already had one guy run into the back of it and it shrugged it off. No damage to mine.

Also means you really appreciate the evora when you use it at weekends. When it was my daily it was easy to take it for granted and forget how special it is.

Xc70 was brilliant for dump runs as part of the house move and was superb in the snow this week.

‘Mon the volvos!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Dominic wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm
DDtB wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am
I really enjoy my xc70 tbh. Part of that is down to the old school tech. Had a new Astra at the weekend and it had far too many distracting driver aids.. like steering against me if I changed lanes without indicating and constant flashing lights on the dash and speedo etc to tell me about cars ahead or beside me etc

Sitting on the m8 for hours in rush hour traffic is a waste of a good car so and old Volvo is perfect. Already had one guy run into the back of it and it shrugged it off. No damage to mine.

Also means you really appreciate the evora when you use it at weekends. When it was my daily it was easy to take it for granted and forget how special it is.

Xc70 was brilliant for dump runs as part of the house move and was superb in the snow this week.

‘Mon the volvos!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shedonomics in a nutshell.
W213 All Terrain

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:38 pm

I know my original post said no 911's... that was largely due to my misunderstanding that for my budget I would be looking at 996s. Turns out that 997s are within budget... might that be an obvious answer?

My current thoughts are;

Volvo V70 - really quite set on that part of the plan.

BMW 640: Would make a lot of sense, practical, more economical that other options... would it fit the "something special" brief?? - when parking it would I feel compelled to turn back for a look as I walk away from it?
Evora: Like it - still to be convinced about the space for a small child in child seat... and I have come to like my toys. It would deffo feel special though!
Jag XK / XKR: More of a GT car, has appeal, but running costs could be a bit heavier that others. It is temping though.
Bentley Conti GT: Looks like a mighty bit of kit - running costs really would be heavy... maybe one for the future.
Maser Grand Turismo: Very tempting too... slightly anxious about reliability (predictable concern probably... but unfair?)
911 997 flavour - might just fit the brief. On the downside... I always thought that 911's are the obvious choice, it's the one that so many turn to. I am not one to follow the crowd.... but then, maybe there is a good reason that it's the one that everyone turns to.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Missed the Cerbera on that list :blackeye
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

I couldn't find anything that could fit the bill like the 911 as there is no 2+2 R8. Depreciation curve is also v attractive.
W213 All Terrain

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:25 pm

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head- it’s the default choice because nothing else fills the brief quite as perfectly.

The only Porsche’s I’ve driven are a basic 987 Boxster and Kennys ‘84 911. Both feel fantastically special, and like they were engineered purely to be pleasurable to drive, with everything else secondary. A modern 911, I can only imagine, would combine the best bits of both.
I’m pretty sure it’d leave you feeling very special after every drive.

The fact that 997s are relatively discreet is a bonus too.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Not a Porsche
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm

j2 lot wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm
Not a Porsche
I share this view Keith, especially if looking for something different or not following the crowd. And a 911 in any flavour actually isn't that great in the rear, space wise.

Dom, I'm similar, I like to avoid the "obvious" choice, so go for something leftfield :thumbsup
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Going for the left field choice is great, most of us have done that if we’ve had a Lotus. I certainly have with my Lego Elise.

Is being so wilfully left-field that you ignore what may be the best fit for you so great though?

It’s a bit like the people who are vehemently opposed to Apple products just because they don’t want to be a sheep. It’s not being a sheep, it’s choosing the best product for you.

Dom might not like a 911 if he tries one. He might love it but prefer an Evora. But to ignore what is widely regarded as the best car in class because of preconceived ideas of the image is a bit daft IMO.
VX220 2.2 - Gone

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Dom,

Been a while since I drove a 911, but had a drive in a 997 Gen 2 Carrera 2S and loved the car (that was when I have an Evo VIII & Elise 111R, so not pork bias back then). Yes they are the default choice but that is because no other manufacturer ticks so many boxes by doing everything that you want whilst still being able to hold more than a small squishy bag for weekend luggage.

Obviously with any 997, I would try to go with a Gen 2 due to less chance of bore scoring. An alternative would be to go for one that has a Hartech upgrade as a preventative measure.

The variations are numerous but would recommend either a 2S or 4S. The cabriolet would be at rock bottom season at the moment but the rear seats are more upright so not as comfortable (relatively speaking):
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 8308804778

If you want to be a little bit unique in the 997 world then go for something different colour wise, Guards Red and Cobalt Blue looks great on the 997 but does narrow down the selection:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 1142745585
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 2202181505

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Stevoraith wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm
Going for the left field choice is great, most of us have done that if we’ve had a Lotus. I certainly have with my Lego Elise.

Is being so wilfully left-field that you ignore what may be the best fit for you so great though?

It’s a bit like the people who are vehemently opposed to Apple products just because they don’t want to be a sheep. It’s not being a sheep, it’s choosing the best product for you.

Dom might not like a 911 if he tries one. He might love it but prefer an Evora. But to ignore what is widely regarded as the best car in class because of preconceived ideas of the image is a bit daft IMO.
Fair enough.

I'm android btw :damnfunny

Just as an aside, a friend (who is an SEer) had a 997.1 4S which was a very nice looking car but was possibly the most unreliable car he's ever owned. Got to the stage he downright hated it. Replaced by a Maser GranTurismo which he adores as his interesting daily driver - who'd have thunk it would be miles more reliable!!!
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 pm

rossybee wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm android btw :damnfunny
Figures 😂
You won’t be surprised to know I’m a sheep :sheeplove

Douglas makes a good point about colour choice.

I love a guards red 911.
Silver/grey/Black may be a bit obvious, just because you go for the obvious car doesn’t mean you have to be like all the rest.
I spotted this one earlier and thought it looked great (although I realise it’s not to everyone’s taste!)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc4
VX220 2.2 - Gone

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 pm

May blow the overall budget but your Volvo fetish is sorted with this:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 1201407104
Last edited by douglasgdmw on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 pm
Mat blow the overall budget but your Volvo fetish is sorted with this:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 1201407104
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 pm

911 is a great car but to get a 'safe' one, you're really looking at the 997 Gen II onwards and even if you do that, you can't just get the bland one. See Sanjoy for further info on what happens to the budget lol. If you've got 60k to spend on one, then it's another story!

The 996 C4S is a great car and going up in value if you have a decent one, but it's no Evora. I was delighted with mine until I drove Donkey's Evora and knew I had to swap. It felt very old and heavy compared to the Evora.

Not sure if you've discussed budgets but at around 30k you'll struggle to get something that's as awesome as an Evora for 'supercar' thrills, low depreciation and low running costs etc.