What car to get...

Anything goes in here.....
Dominic

What car to get...

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Well it's been a while since anyone had a "what car should I get?" thread and I find myself with some car choice dilemmas. In true petrolhead fashion, I am not planning to change cars until this summer, but have already been mulling over options for about 6 months, during which time there have been quite a few different contenders.

So, I currently have the elise, which is a keeper, and a Merc E class. I will be changing the merc next year. Things I like about it; it's a nice place to sit, with lots of toys, loads of space and reasonably quick for a daily. Things I don't like, it's maybe just a bit too sensible.

One of my frustrations with the elise is that if I am taking it out, and Mrs S declares that she wants to come along, with our three and a half yr old daughter, then I can't take the elise. So, I quite like the idea of replacing the merc with something I can use as a daily, can fit the family in, and is nice to drive - feels a bit more special than a saloon car. I have also been doing quite a bit of work to my house, and have more projects to do in the coming years. I have been hiring a van quite often, but going forward think that an estate car would make more sense. So, I am contemplating replacing the E class with an old estate, and a coupe of some sort. Or maybe a fast estate... oh I don't know.

Considerations to date:

Merc E63 estate - not sure if I would want to use it as a builders van though.

Old Volvo V70 (circa £2K) + Evora (Circa £30-34K) - given that I also have the elise, that would mean having the same fleet as dodgy dave, which can't possibly be right! On a serious note - I really like this option, but have a niggle that Mrs S and daughter would not be comfortable for longer runs. Would hate to go down this route, only to get told by her that we need to take the old Volvo.

Old Volvo V70 + Jag XK 5.0 (mibby XKR) - I find this a strangely temping option- although has the same concern about space as the evora, it would be good to have a V8 in my life, they are well specced cars, and have good reviews. Also, a low milage jag, with lots of toys is potentially quite a bit cheaper than the Evora... although the Jag is likely to depreciate more....

A couple of mates have suggested a 911, but they don't appeal to me.

Any other options? Sensible head says get a high power diesel estate car, but when was sensible any fun? :roll:
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

neil

Re: What car to get...

Post by neil » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Sensible can also be fun. I'd go the high powered diesel estate route - I've had an E60 525d saloon for the last few years and if I was changing it it'd be for the 530d or 535d estate. Its a great place to be on a long cruise or stuck in traffic but can still be a hoot on a B road, albeit not as nimble as a Lotus but fun all the same. One of the most memorable runs I've had was coming over the Lecht in -10 conditions after the snow gates had just been opened.

Alternatively you could just get an Evora plus an old van for skip runs.
Exige V6

woody

Post by woody » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:25 pm

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

Current answer to everything; 640i or d, coupe or gran coupe (4 door). Brown leather a must.

Eta, they do a v8 too.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Interesting combination.

So you have the E63 option, which says sensible but fun.
My concerns would be that the Merc is too special for the 'van' type use, but isn't really special enough otherwise.

Then the V70 + Evora/XK - so you definitely tick the special box (maybe less so with the Jag?)
Again my concerns would be that, whilst you have the special box ticked, you end up spending most of your time in the sh*t box Volvo, which is old, and cheap, but this fits my ideas better - 2 cars are almost always going to fit your needs better than 1, which inevitably will be compromised in some way.

The question then, is what fits your needs, and what fits your wants. I'd start with closer to a 50/50 budget split (rather than the 90/10 of the Volvo/Evora!) given your use.

Sensible but fun options: Octavia VRS estate / 3 or 5 series estate / Merc estate that isn't an AMG?

Combined with maybe a 6 series coupe, or even an M6 to tick the 2 cylinder box, Maserati 4200 / GranTurismo even a Quattroporte or a classic 2+2?

I had a similar situation, with kiddo being too small for the Elise, and 3 of us being too big for the Elise, but the Elise being the keeper.
At the beginning, we had the Alfa 159 already (pre kiddo) and a VX220. The first thing that was clear was that the 220 was going.
We replaced it with a dull family car, which was swiftly moved on, and it was obvious that we already owned the replacement in the Alfa.
I then bought the 944 as a 2+2 for family fun duties, but made the mistake of not fully considering the space required by a small child's car seat.
Enter the Maserati 4200, special and seats 4 - mission accomplished, for now anyway. The Alfa doesn't really excite as a daily prospect...
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Don't get caught in the trap of driving the sh*t most of the time. Maximise budget on something nice for day to day and then have a van hire fund (or a cheap actual van but do the sums vs how many rentals that would get you unless it would be really handy to have just sitting there).
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Btw just ordered a replacement shopping car for Mrs C, another Golf but an R this time. You should try one, 95% of the car most people would ever need. New ones are a nice place to sit but maybe not special enough? (I have the Evora for that) They are very, very good to drive, great fun and I don't think the Evora would see which way it went on anything other than dry roads.

They do an Estate version...
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

BigD

Post by BigD » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:46 pm

I’m having a similar dilemma when the boring turd e class goes back in March. Still not sure what to do but hoping slightly more interesting and probably older too.

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I have a mk7 golf gti . Wonderful car, good steer, quick, plenty of space lots of toys if specd right and decent mpg to boot.

The R had some amazing lease deals on them a while back, might be worth a look?

Mr Momo

Post by Mr Momo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

I'd go with Ali's suggestion - Golf 7.5R estate .....
Emira - Volvo spec
A1 S-Line - Dennis the Menace spec

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Some really good suggestions there - thanks chaps!

BMW 6, had not crossed my mind...

Maser, that could be very appealing - how is it for running costs / reliability? (predictable I know).

Had a Golf Gti Mk5 about 10 years ago. Was a great car, and a good all rounder - not quite sure if it would fully tick the "feeling a bit special" box. Would be good to have something that you want to look back at when you park it.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Evora, Dom. We had many a long run 4-up. Brilliant solution as a family sports car with a difference.

30-34k budget is highly realistic. Or have a chat with CMC who may source a good one for even less than that...
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm

campbell wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:59 pm
Evora, Dom. We had many a long run 4-up. Brilliant solution as a family sports car with a difference.
I know, I keep coming back to that thought. But, while in a kid seat, Annabel is pretty tight for leg room in the back of Mrs S's SEAT Ibiza, even in the merc we have to have the front seat pulled forward a bit. Really need to look at some kids seats in the Evora. Apparently putting children in the boot is not acceptable these days. :roll:

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Visit Martin. Pronto. Take car seat.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 pm

campbell wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 pm
Visit Martin. Pronto. Take car seat.
Indeedy!

So far, thanks to this thread, my shortlist is getting longer! - all good 8)

avdb

Post by avdb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Both V70+Evora and V70+Jag would be very nice.

0r how about V70+Mustang V8
2007 Elise (sold), 2018 Mustang, 2021 Raptor