What Car to Get #3

Anything goes in here.....
douglasgdmw

Re: What Car to Get #3

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 am

a4drk wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:11 pm
335d x drive gets my vote
Take it to Ecotune in Hillington & get it up to 396bhp......(from 313bhp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus a set of AC Schnitzer springs and you have the wallowness ironed out in the faster corners.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 am

This is wayyyyy more important than work Campbell!!!

Anyone got experience of a 335d in stop/start motorway commuting... Just wondering what the MPG would actually be like or if I'd be best looking at a 330i or something instead.

Still keen on a RRS.. but 45k+.. not so keen on that when a great 335d is sub 25k.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:59 am

Dave,

When Sandra had the 335D, her commute was approx 9 miles of A roads into Edinburgh and 3 miles of stop/start traffic. If I remember correctly we were getting high 30's MPG.

Certainly a lot better than the 250 miles on a tank we are getting in the RS4. Feels like we are back jnto Evo VIII mpg territory again!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

KennyT

Post by KennyT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 pm

DDtB wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 am
Anyone got experience of a 335d in stop/start motorway commuting... Just wondering what the MPG would actually be like or if I'd be best looking at a 330i or something instead.
I have a 318d (2015 F31 touring so same shape as a 335 etc), My commute is 3 miles stop start though town and over the last year I have averaged 35mpg.
Xdrive and bigger engine may reduce mpg but longer commute and getting the car up to temperature (which I don't) will increase mpg so I'd assume you'd be looking at 35mpg minimum.

3 Series is a very nice place to be, in M-Sport spec it looks good, very comfortable and capable for longer motorway journeys and is a nice steer on the country roads. My 143hp isn't nearly enough but a 320d upwards would be fine I think, the 8-speed auto box is perfect.

PS- I know for a 3 mile in town commute I should buy a bike, or use my wife's Smart...
Exige-S
'84 911 Carrera 3.2
E46 M3

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:06 pm

If you look at a 335D, adaptive lights, Professional Sat Nav and Electronic dampers are a must.

Part of the nice to haves are:
M Sport Brakes
Heated Steering wheel (had heated seats but always wished I ticked the box)
20" M Sport diamond cuts (remember if there are scratches you can only get 2 - 3 refurbs out of them before you lose the diamond cut finish)

If you go for an M Sport which is not blue, then check the interior trim as often m sport blue on the favia trimalong the dashboard and looks much better as black on non blue car

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Brilliant. Thanks guys.

Compiling a list of the spec i'd be after...

Prov Nav and Dampers are musts. Also needs to have Heated Seats.

Need to look at adaptive lights, not sure what they do.

Also really want Heated steering wheel, painted calipers, HUD, adaptive cruise, upgraded speakers... basically ALL the options :lol:

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm

DDtB wrote:
a great 335d is sub 25k.
I’ve been looking at 335d Tourings a lot recently and I’m not sure I agree with that statement!

Plenty on 18s with no nav(or basic nav) or xenons at that price but ones with the options you want are a bit dearer in my experience.

My wish list is pretty much the same as yours, my 1er was a launch model so has (almost literally) ALL the options so I can’t really spend money on a new car with less spec can I!?

If you want the big brakes you need to look for one on 19s. It will have the M Sport plus kit which has xenons, blue brakes, HK speakers, tinted windows and big wheels.

ProNav is a must in a car at that price- nice big display and you can split the screen to have album art or trip computer or whatever on one side with nav (or whatever else) on the other side.

Adaptive lights are absolutely brilliant but the normal xenons are more than good enough unless you spend a lot of time on country roads.

I’m not hugely convinced by the adaptive chassis, I tend to leave it in comfort but it may be better on the 3 series. Wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me though.

I’d also really want an interior that wasn’t black. I had to concede this point on the wish list when I bought the 125, black is fine but a lighter colour or the red is much classier in my opinion.

Have you thought about a 435d Gran Coupe? There seems to be a far greater choice of them compared to Tourers and they have pro nav/ xenons/ heated seats as standard.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Stevoraith wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm
DDtB wrote:
a great 335d is sub 25k.
I’ve been looking at 335d Tourings a lot recently and I’m not sure I agree with that statement!

Plenty on 18s with no nav(or basic nav) or xenons at that price but ones with the options you want are a bit dearer in my experience.

My wish list is pretty much the same as yours, my 1er was a launch model so has (almost literally) ALL the options so I can’t really spend money on a new car with less spec can I!?

If you want the big brakes you need to look for one on 19s. It will have the M Sport plus kit which has xenons, blue brakes, HK speakers, tinted windows and big wheels.

ProNav is a must in a car at that price- nice big display and you can split the screen to have album art or trip computer or whatever on one side with nav (or whatever else) on the other side.

Adaptive lights are absolutely brilliant but the normal xenons are more than good enough unless you spend a lot of time on country roads.

I’m not hugely convinced by the adaptive chassis, I tend to leave it in comfort but it may be better on the 3 series. Wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me though.

I’d also really want an interior that wasn’t black. I had to concede this point on the wish list when I bought the 125, black is fine but a lighter colour or the red is much classier in my opinion.

Have you thought about a 435d Gran Coupe? There seems to be a far greater choice of them compared to Tourers and they have pro nav/ xenons/ heated seats as standard.

I know what you mean.. tons of poverty spec ex-lease ones in that price bracket.

But I have seen several for under 25k with massive options lists too, in amongst the dross. A 2015 one sold on seloc recently at under £22k and it had almost everything on it, so they are out there!

435 Grand coupe is lovely. Just have the horn for a tourer just now.. not sure why, must be at that age or something.

I'd probably be happy enough with xenons and 19" wheels too. Agree on the interior... definitely fancy cream, red, grey or something. Not black.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Dont go Grand Coupe, longer wheelbase and they drive like a barge. Did a back to back drive on GT / 3 series and difference was like going from Elise to SLK.

Think they are based upon the 5 series chassis compared to the 3.

George

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:58 pm

And obviously if i set a max budget of £25k...I'll end up spending £30k... :roll: :roll: :roll:

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 pm

How about this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 2183839007

Much older I know but not many like this at this miles and suspect it will not hang around for long. Not as much oomph as the 335D but a nice place to be. Admit its RWD which means its not a go anywhere except with winters.
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:34 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Dont go Grand Coupe, longer wheelbase and they drive like a barge. Did a back to back drive on GT / 3 series and difference was like going from Elise to SLK.

George

You sure you’re not thinking of the 3 series GT?

A Gran Coupe is just the 4 series with a couple of extra doors, which itself is just a 3series with two less doors. 🤨 Definitely not longer wheelbase or anything.

Dave, I know what you mean about having the horn for a tourer- Gran Coupe seems an easier way to do it but I want a fast estate (also spending a lot of time looking at Golf R wagons)
Last edited by Stevoraith on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

woody

Post by woody » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:24 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 pm

George

GT is 5 series based hatchback. The 4 grand coupe (GC) is a 3 series based 4 door saloon. The GC is supposed to be good.

Adaptive lights steer with the steering Dave, v cool in fog, but you do see the difference in normal darkness.

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am

Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 am

May be the only one who thinks the Grand Coupe proportions are all wrong.

C pillar back looks like a Kim Kardashadan side view.

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW