Winter Driving Help

Anything goes in here.....
Mr Momo

Winter Driving Help

Post by Mr Momo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:47 pm

This is my eldest daughter’s first winter driving and I’d like to take her driving in these conditions to practice. Isvthere any where in Aberdeen to have a session to increase her skills ( P&R ?) ?
Emira - Volvo spec
A1 S-Line - Dennis the Menace spec

Mr Momo

Re: Winter Driving Help

Post by Mr Momo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Took her out on the roads round the house, after I realised they were bad enough for a bit practice. Was great and gave her a chance to get used to the ABS kicking in, losing traction, gentle braking, turning and controlling the car.

We got stuck a couple of times, showed her how to reverse up a hill and we tried techniques to keep going.

All in all, good safe fun !
Emira - Volvo spec

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:17 am

Mr Momo wrote:Took her out on the roads round the house, after I realised they were bad enough for a bit practice. Was great and gave her a chance to get used to the ABS kicking in, losing traction, gentle braking, turning and controlling the car.

We got stuck a couple of times, showed her how to reverse up a hill and we tried techniques to keep going.

All in all, good safe fun !
Super. My eldest is only 11, so I have this to come. Has she been to knockhill yet or is that for the summer?
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

Mr Momo

Post by Mr Momo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am

I think Knockers would be good for a summer trip, but you have to fit with 'their' busy schedules these days ;-)

Daughter #2 is 17 in Oct, so will start her with the same driving instructor.
Emira - Volvo spec

Super7

Post by Super7 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:38 am

I’d say you’re doing exactly the right thing, I have two teenagers and although I drum it into them how they need to adjust their driving to suit the visibility and conditions, I want them to experience and learn how to drive when it’s difficult.
It’s not always possible to avoid having to go out in bad conditions and lack of confidence can turn a minor situation into a disaster.

I’m still not sure about Knockhill though, it’s quite intense, I wonder if I should give them a go,but put P plates on to warn others, they may be even more unpredictable than me!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Some off road driving would also be good. Ok did a skid pan session at knockhill years ago that was good too.
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Last winter was my daughter's first winter of driving and although there wasn't much snow, when it did arrive I took her out in it to teach different situations and avoidance tactics.

She's managed rather well so far this winter, and the fact she's been a bit scared at bits proves that she has an understanding where the car has reached its limits.

As we all know, the biggest concern is other road users as some of the recent driving I've witnessed leaves lots to be desired...
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Defensive Driving is the name of the game. Get them through IAM at some point. Track time has benefits too I reckon. Great that you are all pushing them to gain bad weather experience too. My Dad forced me out in fog as a learner :-)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Mr Momo

Post by Mr Momo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:37 am

Campbell - good catch about the DD - I was lucky to get a course every couple of years via work. Good solid training would suit her.

She still has to do her pass plus...
Emira - Volvo spec