Formula 1 2018

Anything goes in here.....
ScottJ-PS

Re: Formula 1 2018

Post by ScottJ-PS » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:56 pm

SKY only from next season. I think they are showing all the races free this year on non HD channel to lure us in. I don't normally have SKY through Virgin package but had plenty of channels at weekend so was up early Sun and watched live. I certainly wouldn't take out a subscription far to many boring races. Never bothered subscribing to the Grand Tour either . Plenty of other stuff on other channels for me.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 pm

campbell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 pm

I'll be bailing if it happens.
You and me both Campbell. I don't think F1 is a big enough draw to convince me to go back to Sky so that will be the end of me watching unless I can blag a Sky-Go log in. A shame really and potentially a big blow to F1 mainstream popularity.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm

What I think may happen, though, is Liberty set up direct "over the top" options so you can subscribe to digital delivery of F1 only, perhaps even race by race.

They are a media co after all ;-)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:11 am

campbell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm
What I think may happen, though, is Liberty set up direct "over the top" options so you can subscribe to digital delivery of F1 only, perhaps even race by race.

They are a media co after all ;-)
This has already happened. From this season, you can subscribe to an official streaming service for something like $8-11 (US) a month. It is not available in the UK though and/because Sky have an exclusivity deal here until 2024. Not sure what Liberty can or will do about that.
I believe the English language broadcast on the streaming system uses the Sky feed too.
Not sure if the system allows you to watch at any time, or if it's live only.

Personally, I'd much rather use a service like this, it's the way I watch NFL.
£120 or so a season for all games at any time via internet stream, with the exception of Sky exclusive games which have a 24 hour blackout.

I'd like to ditch Sky - I have a legacy Sky deal at the moment which includes F1 channel as part of the old HD pack, and costs about 65 quid a month with my broadband and phone. We seem to watch more and more stuff on Netflix nowadays, so I feel Sky's days in our house are numbered, but... F1 :(
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 am

Liberty are more powerful than Sky. Although it may depend who buys Sky. Couple of suitors now I think? So they may just buy them out of it or something.

Whatever, my point is, a direct model might keep me - and other fans. Otherwise they may well struggle.

BTCC season kicks off at Brands on 7th April... And Fernando is in WEC... ;-)

jason

Post by jason » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Due to the exclusive Sky deal here, the Liberty/Formula 1 streaming service will not be available in UK until 2025 * Liberty have stated they will honour the agreement they inherited. Deeply unimpressed Liberty/F1, the teams and (most relevantly to us) fans can thank Bernie for this short-sighted, CVC shareholder-serving, F-you....

IIRC the British GP will be available live on Sky free-to-air TV, and also highlights packages of all races. The catch is Sky apparently have rights to the highlights too(!), so this could be only on a free-to-air Sky channel (rather than FreeView).....

Facing up to the likelihood that 2019 may be the first year I've not followed F1 on-screen since 1980 :(

* no idea if it can be bypassed using a proxy server, but I CBA with that sort of thing.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:01 pm

I think the Sky exclusive contract stated that the British GP must be aired live, in full, on a free channel, and that all other races, including their qualifying sessions must have highlights shows free.
What that actually means in terms of content, and length, and channel, and even what 'free' means - who knows.

Sky launched a 'free' Sports channel last year called Sports Mix, which basically shows different sports events, say a premiership game one week, F1 the next, then some cricket etc...
This 'free' channel is available to all Sky and Virgin customers, but isn't on FreeView / FreeSat, so to my mind isn't free, but who knows how free is defined in the F1 TV contract!
They have also aired a Grand Prix live on Sky 1 in the past, again 'free' to Sky and Virgin customers aka still behind a pay wall, but more available.

I think they have some sort of showcase channel on freeview which shows odd episodes or sport events basically like an advert channel, except you get the whole show. I wonder if this is where the F1 highlights will end up, but I can't remember what it's called, and google isn't helping.

I think Italy is going through exactly the same this year as their main free to air network Rai lost rights to Sky exclusivity for 2018.
I think that deal had 4 full races on live free to air.

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:13 am

Well, f*ck 'em.

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:21 pm

a 5 place grid penalty for LH, new gearbox, and quali doesn't start until tomorrow. Seriously!, do Liberty expect us to tune in and watch this sh*t. My first televised GP was Argentina 1979 , grainy black & white on BBC2, Jacques Laffite in a Ligier. I'm now thinking Australia 12 days ago is my last. Enough is enough . Why bother .

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Well it'll mix things up

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Ban aero, give them all the same body shell and floorpan ban wings and let them focus on mechanical grip and engine performance.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

Super7

Post by Super7 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 am

I’ll still watch it, but it’s a long chore for a few brief moments of excitement. Bahrain would be a dull race in the middle of the day, running the it in the dark doesn’t make it any better :lol:, it’s good for cheating though with all the huge run offs, Asda’s car park would be more fun.
He’s not going to win anything, but I’m hoping Alonso will put on a show.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 am

Hammie's grid penalty might mix it up a bit. And Gasly - some effort!

Shame about Maxy Jazz. See me after class, young man. Shows how thin the margins are though...

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Race wasn't too bad, some decent action. Good to see a Sauber in the point, even if it was more or less just down to the retirements, and similarly Gasly did a fantastic job. Ok, 50+ seconds behind the leaders at the end.
It would have been interesting to see what a more seasoned driver, like say Alonso, in a more seasoned / bigger budget team, say, like McLaren could do with that Honda engine :leave

Rosssco

Post by Rosssco » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Haha, I think McLaren were sick of essentially funding the development of the Honda powertrain! Torro Rosso are getting the benefits of that development work..

Thought Bahrain was a decent race to watch actually.
VX220 SC
M135i
Parajet V3 Moster 185