What car to get #4

Anything goes in here.....
pete
Vexatious Litigant

What car to get #4

Post by pete » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Once upon a time when Little Miss Pete was small we went on holiday and I looked over my shoulder to see her sat, miles away in the back of the Omega (that dates this story) utterly divorced from the conversation up front. So we bought a three seater!

A Multipla! And we all sat in the front and told tales and sang to music. It was great although sometimes people pointed at us and laughed and on one occasion took photos.

But eventually it reached the end of it's natural life so we bought the only other 3 seater! A Honda FRV!!!!
That was EVEN BETTER. Not as distinctive to look at admittedly but the seats did't give you back ache as they folded int the floor, rather than having to be lifted out. And you can get loads in it (the last holiday it did we had 3 people, 6 bikes (three on the back and three inside), 2 tents and an inflatable canoe. But it died, turns out Hondas aren't as reliable as you've heard.

So since then we've been managing with the i3 (perfect commuter car. Not a holiday car) and the Exige (pointless indulgence car) and the ex-ddtb, ex-Ape Golf... Now the Golf is excellent but it's 125k, it's only the 3 door and it is a tad too small for when we all go away together.

Mrs Pete suggested a Transporter, no struggling to lift bikes, looks cool, 3 setas in the front but soooooo much money. And comically unreliable. My vehicular sourcer (Ape) has already sourced me one but Mrs Pete says I'm not allowed to by any more stuff off him as it's getting weird. And then we sat in one and when they have a double pax seat it doesn't adjust for rake and it's really uncomfortable. And to get a LWB Kombi with less than 100k is going cost LOADS!

Mate loves Vitos so we went to look at them but the middle seat in Dualiner has no leg room as the gear shift sticks out into where your legs are supposed to go.
Transits are impossible to buy and, perhaps, a bit too much van. Trafic are way too van.

Then I saw a XC70. I mean it at least looks like an estate car, and the boot is a proper size but it's no van. I should have bought my mate's 535d last year but I thought it was too dear (turns out that is just what they cost...). Tried an Octavia estate which are so cheap on PCH, pretty much just the depreciation, but too bland...(Sorry the many many owners but it's not my fault). The new Superb is quite nice, genuinely, but I'd got bored by that stage and I can't find the same deal that made me look in the first place...

I could PCP a T6 (150bhp Highline LWB Kombi if you're interested). I mean people do. And Little Miss Pete would be happy (although it would have to be 2 seats in the front and three behind). But I don't think I want to spend all that money on a van.

Or a battered old Volvo like everyone else? I could live out my Lovejoy fantasies...

Suggestions?
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

j2 lot

Re: What car to get #4

Post by j2 lot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:58 am

A Crew cab pick up. You can pretend you're hillbillies or construction workers. You can travel in comfort while the rain washes the mud off the bikes in the back and 'tip runs' will be your staple diet so the house and garage will be clutter free. They come in many brands - mostly cheap vs the equivalent estate car.. You sit high up so you can feel superior to the bottom scrapping normal people in their lowly hatchbacks and aside from having to avoid crashing because they laugh at the need for namby pamby NCAP tests, there is no downside (unless the bikes get nicked out of the back when your having bacon butties in a transport cafe)
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 am

Pick ups, I've had many, they're awful things to drive (just my opinion - sorry Keith)

What about a Merc R class?

Six seats in three rows, you can take them out one at a time, so if it just the three of you travelling you could have just three seats and loads of space for all your stuff.

Or just buy another FR-V or Multipla ?

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:51 am

Ford F-150.

That's it. Bosh. Sorted.

You're welcome.

http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am

If I wanted to sell my van, and I'm not sure that I do, I would recommend you buy mine. It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, it's the one I've treated the best, it's within your budget, it even has 2 spare wheels with winter tyres. But I don't know if I want to sell it, never mind to you. You'be not exactly left me looking great after our last deal where you borrowed my bike for a test ride, broke it, and then made me feel bad about it. And then there was the Golf, which you have left looking like a shed after I sold it to you in pristine condition. Or the Elise, which you stuck a white circular sticker on the door and made it look chav. Yes. I'm not sure you deserve the best vehicle I've ever owned

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 am

XC70 and a towbar bike rack, or a Caravelle DSG with single rear seat. Plenty room for bikes and as close as a van can get to being a car.

Transporters are for builders, not family transport.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 am

Just buy a transporter.
"Here for a good time not a long time"

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 pm

mckeann wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am
If I wanted to sell my van, and I'm not sure that I do, I would recommend you buy mine. It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, it's the one I've treated the best, it's within your budget, it even has 2 spare wheels with winter tyres. But I don't know if I want to sell it, never mind to you. You'be not exactly left me looking great after our last deal where you borrowed my bike for a test ride, broke it, and then made me feel bad about it. And then there was the Golf, which you have left looking like a shed after I sold it to you in pristine condition. Or the Elise, which you stuck a white circular sticker on the door and made it look chav. Yes. I'm not sure you deserve the best vehicle I've ever owned
You see it's this. This weird sales technique.

Suddenly I do want your van! Isn't it a 180bhp one?
The one that breaks all the time?
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Owned Multipla, slags of Octavia..... :damnfunny

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:31 pm

pete wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 pm
mckeann wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am
You see it's this. This weird sales technique.

Suddenly I do want your van! Isn't it a 180bhp one?
The one that breaks all the time?
ive had mine for 2.5 years and its fine. engine light has been on fir over 2 years :D
"Here for a good time not a long time"

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:37 pm

I'd have a Multipla in a heartbeat - has to be the series one though - easy to love, a bit like the ugly one-eyed dog at the back of the pet shop.
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Ferg wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:26 pm
Owned Multipla, slags of Octavia..... :damnfunny
*off*

One can forgive ugly, but never dull ;)
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

I've had mine for 2.5 years, had zero engine lights, and zero problems.

Well, other than a puncture the other day.

And yes, 180bhp. with TWO turbos. You could probably fit a chavvy wastegate to it so it went ppptttssschhhhh when the DSG gearbox changed gears. Did I mention it's a DSG?

neil

Post by neil » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm

flyingscot68 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 am
What about a Merc R class?

Six seats in three rows, you can take them out one at a time, so if it just the three of you travelling you could have just three seats and loads of space for all your stuff.
:withstupid R Class/Viano is what you need
Exige V6

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 pm

mckeann wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm
I've had mine for 2.5 years, had zero engine lights, and zero problems.

Well, other than a puncture the other day.

And yes, 180bhp. with TWO turbos. You could probably fit a chavvy wastegate to it so it went ppptttssschhhhh when the DSG gearbox changed gears. Did I mention it's a DSG?
What age is it?
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora