Forum postings.

Anything goes in here.....
tut
Barefoot Ninja

Forum postings.

Post by tut » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Campbell and I thought that as we are trying to build up posts on the Forum again, I would copy this across from the pm's with Tambo who some of you will remember, though he has not posted for a while.

Sent: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 pm 
Recipient: tut 
“Hi Tut,
I hope you are keeping ok, I’m not on here very often but have logged in to message you for advice. 
I’m thinking about buying this car and selling my kit car and my Elise 135 sport to fund it. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ed/8553788

Can you have a look at it and give me you objective opinion please. 
The conversion has been done by a very reputable company many years ago my mechanical nouse is not the greatest.
Thanks in advance and I hope you don’t mind me reaching out for your help. 

Tam.”

Hi Tam, good to hear from you again.
Don't know if you are up to date but I have a terminal lung disease so on the way out in the near future, so the situation has changed since I last saw you.

Just saw the car on FB, Paul Hick's, don't know it but acknowledged as a good car and well looked after. Very good spec but not as good as N3 TUT which was also CC and putting out 350hp which I have just had to sell. I only asked what I paid for it £23K so could well have undersold it, but an S_E member had asked for first shout some time ago so an easy sale without him even seeing it. Paul's is £27,495 so a fair bit more, but it is a Sport 160 and an S1 so it is hard to say what difference to the price that makes. Once you have re-engined an Elise and carried out all the extra upgrades needed for the increased power, I don't think the extra provenance counts. I had been a S1 owner since '99, but when I wrote off yellow N3 there were no S1 Hondas around and this S2 had just had a chassis upwards rebuild, so it was in fact a better all round car than the equivalent S1, but the original is still my soft spot. On top of Paul's it had four pot AP ali belled discs, Exige Probax seats, re-trimmed interior, spare set of wheels, and quite a few other upgrades, all adding up to a few thousand more.

However there are fewer Hondas around now and prices have increased, so we are back to the car is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it, and is that you? It should however hold its value in the future and more than likely increase.

Initially I would make him an offer if you are going to have a go, I don't know what he based it on but if you really wanted it then that would probably have to be near to its asking price. You can quote what I sold mine for if it would help, I will copy the spec over for you in the next post.

Let me know which route you take.
All the best
tut

“Dear tut,

I wanted to take time today and send a proper reply, I'm so sorry to hear your news i don't really know what to say but the news has really sadden'd me. You have been a pivotal and an inspirational guy to many of us and you have always had time for everyone. 
So much so i have decided to buy it, you only get one go at this life and your mail made that even more poignant. 

I've had three hip replacements before I'm 46 and you just never know whats around the corner.

I tried to chip him down by £500 but he was having none of it and reluctantly took £250 off it. he has a receipts for 14k for the conversion work done so all in all i think the car stacks up to be a good deal.
So i fly down to London on Sunday to pick it up, 

i'll let you know how i get on and thanks for taking time to reply to me, you sealed the deal for me in my head.

best wishes,
tam”

Thanks for the kind words Tam along with the complements, there really is not much you can say when someone tells you that they are terminally ill.

Well done for making such a quick decision, I think you did the correct thing, Paul knew it was a good car and that he would get his price, but even though a gesture, you did not pay asking price. I just had a mail from him thanking me for giving an honest opinion.

Hopefully you will get back to posting on S_E and down to Trackdays again, a car like ours needs to be used, look after it mechanically but rag it when you want to enjoy yourself. Having said that I was in 6th gear most of the time on road runs though used the full 8,600rpm on track. If you have not driven a full conversion then you will have nothing to compare it to, I started off N/A but the S/C is so much torquier and smooth that it feels like a turbine. However beware of putting that torque down at lower speeds, even in 5th on a roundabout on a virtually dry road I have found myself looking out of the side window. I think I was eating a bacon roll with one hand, drinking a coffee with the other, at the start of a road meet when it last happened.

If you have any questions or need any advice please get in touch, there is nobody more experienced on Honda conversions on S_E, N3 yellow had over 300,000km on her when I wrote her off(deliberately), and with over 100 KH's under my belt plus all the other UK and European tracks there is not much I have not come across. One thing however is any engine problem, it is a bloody marvellous engine even with intentional and unintentional abuse. However other things can and have broken and I would advise that you take out AA Parts and Labour, the RAC may do it as well now, at an early opportunity. Do not mention my name this time though as they probably would not cover you.

Envy you starting out for the first time, pick the right times for that right foot, but most of all enjoy.

Cheers
tut

ps:- even unintentionally it is so easy to go over the speed limits even when you are trying to stick to them, mostly when you are overtaking then slowing down again, or entering and leaving varying restrictions. I managed a six month disqualification and six points in the first couple of months, then nothing for the next four years. You can pass six cars in a row where others can only manage two. I know there are 345hp V6's now but they are a lot heavier, though I would not mind trying the new Exige 430GT.

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Re: Forum postings.

Post by pete » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Well that's about as touching a reply as you could get isn't it?
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora