North coast 500 tips.

Anything goes in here.....
Corranga

Re: North coast 500 tips.

Post by Corranga » Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 am

campbell wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:55 pm
What are they then?
Little plastic things about the size of your thumb that supposedly scare deer off by emitting a high pitched whistling sound that they can hear, but we can't.

My mother in law works for SSE, who insist (or at least used to) on them being fitted to all company vehicles. I seem to recall questions on whether they actually did anything or not, but they are cheap, and can presumably be fitted relatively out of sight quite easily.

That said, my car doesn't have them fitted.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue May 29, 2018 10:17 pm

Tempting
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 am

I'd say do some research, there are plenty of websites that say it's all incidental, scientific evidence showing they can't produce ultrasonic sound, and some actually making sound in the range we can hear etc. Lots who claim they work already had an accident with a deer, so perhaps adjusted their driving accordingly, and lastly, no insurance company reduce your premiums if they are fitted.

But they are 4 quid, and it'd be a waste of your time researching them, so I'd say, either buy them, or don't :)

Jacobite

Post by Jacobite » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am

I've had deer whistle fitted to every car for about 8 years now and have actually come around the corner to see a deer 150 -200m or so look in the direction of the car and then scarper , so for the sake of a few £

http://www.deerwhistles.co.uk
The faintest ink is more Powerful than the strongest memory.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Just like to say thank-you to everyone who chipped in with advice. We had a fabulous time, 1250miles and only half hour of rain the whole time. Picked up a rare Scottish suntan on the way round aswell...

We did the Applecross loop, we were there very early Sunday morning and it was very quiet. It was fog all the way up til we reach the very top and poked out into beautiful sunshine, being in the 2-11 the instant temperature change hit you like a brick wall, it was amazing to experience .

Best bits for me were the road leading out onto Skye and the lap of Skye itself. The top of the Applecross climb coming out of the fog as Ive already mentioned. The run from south of Ullapool to Durness and the run south from tongue to Lairg.

Only disappointment (if you can call it that) was the Glenshee run... absolutely stunning scenery the route it takes no arguments but the road surface was very poor, rough as a badgers arse which spoilt it somewhat I'm afraid to say.

All in all a great trip. Unfortunately the grey car never made it home. We pulled into the hotel in Aviemore on the last night and there was an almighty racket coming from the engine bay. After closer inspection it was coming from the supercharger (bearing probably). The decision was made to recover it home and do the last day in one car together rather than risk it completely sh*t itself and taking the engine with it. It didn't spoil the trip in anyway as we'd had the best of it the 3 days beforehand and was nice to sit in with my mate for the final leg home.

All in all the best road trip I've ever done. Again cheers guys!!

Gav
If you need to go even faster, just imagine you are me.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:47 pm

TarmacTerrorist wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm
Only disappointment (if you can call it that) was the Glenshee run... absolutely stunning scenery the route it takes no arguments but the road surface was very poor, rough as a badgers arse which spoilt it somewhat I'm afraid to say.
Good job you didn't do it before they resurfaced the bottom half a couple of years back, it was 10x worse!!

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:02 pm

It is crazy, most of the single track we did was better.

Best single track for me was the Tounge to Lairg run. Narrow yes but you could see a lot of the road coming up in the distance which allowed us to press on. Was like the world's longest hillclimb, brilliant!!

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Glad you enjoyed, some epic roads up there! Been awesome weather too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lego Elise couldn't afford a real one spec - sold
Skoda Octavia Scout work shed spec
VW T25 girlfriend's toy/wish it still worked spec - sold
GR Yaris - hooligan spec

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Any pics?..

GR Yaris - hooligan spec

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Yes, I've been putting them on instagram (I post as 'gavkirby').

Whenever I've tried to load pictures on this site before it always cuts half of them off... not sure if it's something I was doing wrong or the forum software playing up? Have things changed?

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 pm

TarmacTerrorist wrote:Yes, I've been putting them on instagram (I post as 'gavkirby').

Whenever I've tried to load pictures on this site before it always cuts half of them off... not sure if it's something I was doing wrong or the forum software playing up? Have things changed?
It used to be a pain in the arse till I started using tapatalk for photos. Will check out Instagram

GR Yaris - hooligan spec

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Delighted you enjoyed yourselves :-)

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 am

TarmacTerrorist wrote:It is crazy, most of the single track we did was better.

Best single track for me was the Tounge to Lairg run. Narrow yes but you could see a lot of the road coming up in the distance which allowed us to press on. Was like the world's longest hillclimb, brilliant!!

Do love that 30mile+ single track road with its openness. Great contrast from the sweeping roads and dips from Ullapool (and especially Lochinver) up to Tongue.

Glad you had the good weather, it makes the trip stunning and makes you realise how great Scotland is.

Good to see the recovery didn't spoil the trip, this was my cars trip home last year from Kinlochewe after C7Steve and I were up, me having a 17hr travelling day to get home near Glasgow, happens to all of us whether in a Lotus or not !!

White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 am

Porsche. There IS no substitute.

Dark

Post by Dark » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:33 pm

TarmacTerrorist wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm
I drove and cycled over Glenshee last weekend. While I agree the south side is pretty rough, the north side to Braemar was excellent from what I remember.

We also cycled over Gairnshiel, past Archie's "house" and on to the Lecht. I'd forgotten quite how steep some of the ramps are on the climbs although worth it for the 51mph on the decent! :)

We also did a time trial around Balmoral but that's another story! :cheers
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)