Thoughts on Exiges?

Anything goes in here.....
Ferg

Re: Thoughts on Exiges?

Post by Ferg » Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm

40k+ is about right in real world for an S1 with the right bits in good in molested order. That's the interior and 190 upgrade options. It also needs to be used to work correctly so something that's been sitting is going to need work. Another issue I had was that the engine parts are becoming very rare and it made you slightly nervous when you were giving it the beans. But it was hard not to as an on-song the VHPD is glorious. I agree about the rawness bringing a smile, that's a big part of why I loved mine so much, there was nothing like it.

While the V6 doesn't have that same experience, its much less fragile and a nicer place to be on the road. And its ferociously quick.

colgy

Post by colgy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Interesting. Suppose I was thinking of looking at a low mileage S1 (~19k miles) - anything in particular I should be checking?

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Thu May 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Sub 20k probably add a premium. Go and read up on Exiges.com it's s great resource and has the most S1 activity. Not sure if correct but it feels like cars become available on there first. You'll have to be quick or know someone selling though, they don't hang about when priced realistically.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm

colgy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:43 pm
Interesting. Suppose I was thinking of looking at a low mileage S1 (~19k miles) - anything in particular I should be checking?
Where are you based? If you're interested in seeing one first hand I'll happily take you out for a drive in my S1 Exige. Firmly not for sale I must add though sorry! I just don't see where such an experience can be had like the Exige, uncompromising and really an assault on the senses with large helpings of raw unfiltered motorsport pumped straight into the veins. Having said that I've done some long journeys in mine and never tired of the drama. There's a lot to like about them.

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 pm

Great description !!'
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

kerryxeg

Post by kerryxeg » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm

I had my S1 for 13 years and for the first 10 it was fantastic. For the last 3 it felt like I had become the custodian of a future classic, which comes with positive and negatives. In the end the car was probably in the best condition it had ever been in under my ownership so I decided that was the point I should move it on and simplify my storage logistics.

It is certainly a great drive and a raw experience, but more modern equipment of similar value will be more capable and much easier to live with day to day.

Mechanically the VHPD would be expected to need a rebuild by 60k miles, some need it much earlier and a few have lasted longer. The Emerald ECU with a good map, gives much improved mid range acceleration. The 177 standard ECU was pretty good, I tried a 190 and had lots of issues. Almost all will have some retro fit exhaust, maybe a decat and resulting issues with MOT tests. A remote thermostat is a must have to try and avoid HGF which were really common on the VHPD's. I think the biggest issue with S1's these days will be lack of use and general deterioration of condition - particularly suspension components.

Funnily enough I got sent a link to this today, which I though looked like a pretty good package for similar money to the S1 exige price https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 17/8721971

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Effin hell. Lotta car for the money there
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

KennyT

Post by KennyT » Thu May 31, 2018 3:56 pm

I was looking for an S1 Exige in 2012, I was very close to buying a very nice low mileage grey original example with high back seats, A/C and 190 upgrade, all matching numbers and documented service history, seemed perfect and (to my recollection) the £23k asking price then seems like a bargain now for a great spec.

I didn’t go for it in the end due to my intended use of such car, I had left the UK a year prior (sold my M3 and S1 135) and wanted an Exige (or similar) to be in the garage available and uncompromising for me to use twice a year track days, ie it had to have a roof in case of rain, had to be bearable on the road to drive to Croft, and Outlen etc, and it had to be reliable and resilient enough to take a beating twice a year and sit virtually untouched the rest of the year…

The last point is where S1 Exige fell down, I took some advice from the internet (dangerous I know :roll: ) and the VHPD engine concerns (for my intended use) got the better of me, and I canned the idea of an S1.

6 years on I maintain for me the S1 wouldn’t have made sense, although the potential £20k value increase would be nice!

I didn’t immediately go after my S2 though, I saw it when in Murray’s looking at the white V6 demonstrator they had on 27th December 2012, I came home that night an popped a post on here and found out the history (thanks Sparky), having never driven or been a passenger in one I convinced myself it would fit my previous criteria and the Toyota engine would be resilient/reliable enough for my twice a year track antics.
I drove it home a day later on AO48 tyres in near zero degrees and rain and hated it, put it in the garage for four months while I went back to work thinking what a twat I had been… April 2013 though was the next time I saw it, immediately had a dry reverse track day at Knockhill and it made perfect sense.

To this day it stays in a garage in the UK and I see it about twice a year, turn the key and it works, it gets an MOT and service, it takes a spanking, it’s bloody great fun and the cycle continues with no failures to speak of.

Long story short, S2 Exige S has met my requirements perfectly for the past 5.5 years, I’m not sure an S1 Exige would have been as available for me to use in the same way, and would the added ‘rawness’ outweigh the fear of being left at the side of the road, facing running problems and potential engine rebuild costs? Unlikely.

My S2 is here to stay, it may also have increased a £ or two in value, but I don’t care.
Exige-S
'84 911 Carrera 3.2
E46 M3

colgy

Post by colgy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks for the thoughts; much appreciated.

I’ve done the whole S1-S2-S3 roundabout thing in my head, and I doubt I’d be disappointed with either to be honest. That Elise cup would be pretty handy on road and track for sure, but I’m starting to lean towards the S1 I think. Obviously, I’d need to go into ownership with my eyes wide open, especially with the VHPD plotting to ruin me! I think an Elise will probably depreciate, whereas an S1 will potentially need a rebuild - either one is going to cost money in the long run as I see it, but the rawness appeals to the inner child in me! S2 Exige or early S3 would maybe make more sense, but then I’ve never been one to do things logically when it comes to cars....

I’m in Dumbarton, and happy to provide decent coffee to anybody that may be passing along the A82... :)

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 pm

I guess the decision making process does ultimately go back to the heart or head rules. I knew it felt potentially dangerous, on the edge and perhaps even foolhardy to go for the S1 but it felt right once I'd found the car, I knew that.

Certainly the perception one gleans from online reading is the S1 is like a time bomb, fragile and will be ruinous. I remember a conversation with some folks in Morzine on a mountain biking trip not long after I'd bought mine asking why I went for the S1 Exige almost as though they were questioning my sanity. But they totally got it, that thing it has with the oh so spot on proportions and the motorsport pedigree behind the car. It just stirs the soul. Maybe the flawed package does have a certain appeal depending what you want from the car. Reliability for track thrashings would be tempting but perhaps there are better options for that. If more of an occasional use car for the road, a little track outing occasionally then this is more viable?

If you're prepared to treat it with kid gloves, warm it up steadily, treat it as older classic in a way the rewards are great. Clearly an S2, an S3 are very capable cars and engineering advances result in more able cars as time marches on. I'm just a sucker for that slightly old school thing where it presses those buttons. My ownership history of cars is clear testament to that with a Lancia Delta Integrale and an incredible busso engined Alfa 156 GTA Sportwagon examples of the 'risk' I like to take.

Coigy - I'll give you a shout if I'm out your way, it generally doesn't travel that far though so if you're planning to be in the Stirling area give me a shout / PM on here.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:08 pm

KennyT wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:56 pm
I didn’t immediately go after my S2 though, I saw it when in Murray’s looking at the white V6 demonstrator they had on 27th December 2012, I came home that night an popped a post on here and found out the history (thanks Sparky), having never driven or been a passenger in one I convinced myself it would fit my previous criteria and the Toyota engine would be resilient/reliable enough for my twice a year track antics.
Glad to hear the car is still going strong – that was my first Exige and never had any issues with it.

Now on my third Exige (had it around 4 years) and again no major issues and a joy to drive. No plans to sell this time :D :D

philthy

Post by philthy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Colgy, Welcome to come and have a nosey around my S3 when I’m back onshore, I am in Houston so not too far away.
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

colgy

Post by colgy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Brilliant guys - all great information and very helpful! I’m going to have a look at an S1 soon, how will I know if it’s running ok? Are the mapping’s/cam timings really that bad?

I’m really looking for a fast road car and don’t mind getting my hands dirty now and again. Being an engineer in charge of big diesels - I really should have mechanical sympathy!!

Those V6’s do sound awesome though, definitely not ruled them out...

philthy

Post by philthy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 am

Just passed you on the A82 coming into tarbert!
Nice to see one in the road, first one I’ve seen in 8yrs since I sold mine.

Phil
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:14 pm

What about this one?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44081

Steve.