What's the views - new car, at least it's a Lotus

Anything goes in here.....
IanD

Re: What's the views - new car, at least it's a Lotus

Post by IanD » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 pm

Lol, Saw your name appear as latest post, thought the message would be what you really need is a scooby in your life !!

Haven't heard of any 968CS in Scotland interesting even through the 968 forum, no CS's mentioned in Scotland.

Porsche solid reliability, 160k no problem...

Oh and probably £5k+ on lots of broken bits replaced in the last 2 years although sounds like you have done much much more.
All reliable now (or so I keep telling myself and my wife)
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am

Thats the problem with the Porsche market, fickle on mileage.

Must admit as the Spyder is on 14000 miles and increasing in price each year, it puts that additional doubt in your mind to take it out. I should not think about residuals as I luckily bought around the bottom of the market - but the £ signs sometimes gets in the way.

Just lucky that I don't get many opportunities to use it due to the 2 spaniels, so its purely a "perfect day" toy nowadays.
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

14k miles?

Pffffft. You really do need to get out more!!
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am

douglasgdmw wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am
Thats the problem with the Porsche market, fickle on mileage.

Must admit as the Spyder is on 14000 miles and increasing in price each year, it puts that additional doubt in your mind to take it out. I should not think about residuals as I luckily bought around the bottom of the market - but the £ signs sometimes gets in the way.

Just lucky that I don't get many opportunities to use it due to the 2 spaniels, so its purely a "perfect day" toy nowadays.
Ye I was just browsing on pistonheads the other night and they are approx the same price now as to when i was serious about getting one.
"Here for a good time not a long time"

IanD

Post by IanD » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am

So fickle on spec as well as mileage the Porsche brigade !

Your Spyder would be the other Porsche I would really like but a bit outside my price range unfortunately, liked them since they came out, yours was only one I've really seen up close speaking to you at Porsche in the Glen one year, it's lovely.

Ironically I'd actually feel happier buying a higher mileage Spyder as I wouldn't have that can't drive as price will drop feeling.

Not really a problem with a 160k mike 968 !
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 am

Increasingly relevant with these is the cars. Lotus didnt build them with the best components, and there can be few things as irritating in car ownership as an unreliable car.

If you want an Elise I'd go for the SC version, be it 220S or whatever, but Elise wise, if you arent wanting a track bitch, I certainly think its probably the best around model they built. Was highly impressed driving the ones that I've tried, and with a few mods if desired could be a properly capable little track car.

Of course each to their own, and i know some people love doing these up and maintaining - I on the other hand want as little hassle as possible, and for it to start on the button. In that bracket I'd also check out Boxster or Cayman, especially if track work is not such a priority. Way easier to live with, way better built.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Just to be that guy, have you thought of a vx220? In SC or Turbo form they are bloody quick and still good value despite rising prices. Turbo is basically a soft top Europa! Kind of
Lego Elise couldn't afford a real one spec - sold
Skoda Octavia Scout work shed spec
VW T25 girlfriend's toy/wish it still worked spec - sold
GR Yaris - hooligan spec

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:20 am

I can't really comment much on driving experience of other Lotus cars but the longer I own and the more I drive the S1 Exige the more I realise quite how special the little car is. Sure plenty variants of Lotus are faster and no doubt 'easier to live with' and engineering advances of newer models mean more capability. If you're after that 'feel' and it sounds like your previous S1's hit the spot then maybe it's worth looking at the earlier cars. For me I think a lot of the enjoyment of the Exige has to do with the sound of the throttle bodied big induction system. From idle though to the high 2's and onto mid 3000 rpm is where that addictive howl pushes the car along really quite nicely. And of course stretch it's legs and it all becomes rather rapid and rabid. None of this probably helps much but I hope you find the right car for you.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:21 am

Agree on the Exige S1. We went down to Manchester to look at one while we were in Lotus's less (waiting on V6) as we wanted something that would not lose much value.

Loved the way the car handled, the noise and the feeling that you were in what was essentially a street legal race car.

Unfortunately Sandra did not like it, lots of effort and only got reward from the car when you took it by the cruff of the neck.

Salesman suggested a quick test drive in an S2 Exige S which Sandra absolutely loved due to the ability of being relatively civilised and able to hussle.

Sadly to say, after that S2 test drive the S1 Exige was never going to be :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

IanD

Post by IanD » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Will watch the market to see the variety and prices of Elise that come up, get a few more things sorted in the 968 and see what 968's sell for as the 968 sale price is my budget.

S1 Exige are definitely outside my range of thoughts, a later Elise is enough of an experience for me !

Some form of SC definitely sounds the right answer, BigD was mentioning yesterday there is quite a difference in feel of earlier 2zz Toyota than the later ones, I knew they were different engines (lower revving later one etc) but didn't think it would be that significant.

And then looking on pistonheads a S2 190 and a S2 std Honda both appear. Not the sensible reliable options at all but both were always in my thoughts even in my original buy 5 years ago of i wonder what they would be like

But this summer want to get out in the car and enjoy it !
Going to a Porsche members meet up one evening this week (TIPEC), never been or registered with any porsche clubs and I'm not a member so that may be interesting or not, might make me move away from porsche brigade quicker 😂
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Oh no....

Wish I had a bigger garage/drive space.

Anyone central Scotland got a S2 Honda'd NA preferably Glasgow area I could ask abou / show me it ?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 03/8851461

Was giving soneone on a 968 forum advice about buying a ClubSport and via PM came out asking what I'd sell for and I said no, not selling at the moment.

Above must only be £5K above a K series, but not the sensible answer for a non-mechanical person like me, need to keep saying that....
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Maybe I just need to stop looking at adverts on the train, need to stick to watching Netflix etc
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am

Have heard more than one Honda elise owner comment that ownership is best by someone who can wield a spanner.... of course, that is very much dependent upon who did the conversion IMHO.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:22 pm

:withstupid always a risk in going non standard although it is a well established engine swap so possibly not too risky.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline