British GP - Friday parking advice please

Anything goes in here.....
jason

British GP - Friday parking advice please

Post by jason » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 pm

A bit last minute, but looking at taking my son (9) to witness F1 on the Friday ....tickets too rich for weekend, and him first-time witnessing the cars with (slightly less manic crowds) is the primary goal :thumbsup

So having not been since a 1990 Friday (!) I’m clueless when confronted with the array of car parking options. If anyone has recent years’ experience of Friday access I’d welcome your input :) Specifically, is the morning arrival traffic a little less bonkers than the weekend days (no Friday queues at all 25+ years ago!)?

My thinking out loud:
  • Circuit parking - reasonable price for Friday and a short walk
  • Park & Ride - minimal queue risk, but they’re coy about last bus back (I’ve seen as early as 5pm mentioned online, which may be frustrating if we want to end our day loitering/taking in the views)
  • Silverstone School - only £5 less than circuit, best car access, but the Friday option is 2 mile walk away
So, yeah, they all have pros and cons. Confused dot com! :scratch

j2 lot

Re: British GP - Friday parking advice please

Post by j2 lot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

It’s many years since I was there but Silverstone school was where we used - much cheaper than other options (at that time) & was good for a quick exit on busier race days. On the Friday, traffic won’t be as much of an issue so I would be tempted to go with circuit parking if it’s not too expensive.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

jason

Post by jason » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm

j2 lot wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm
It’s many years since I was there but Silverstone school was where we used - much cheaper than other options (at that time) & was good for a quick exit on busier race days. On the Friday, traffic won’t be as much of an issue so I would be tempted to go with circuit parking if it’s not too expensive.
Thanks. It's only a fiver more for circuit parking. It's winning my internal debate - provided I don't curse that choice come the Friday morning! :lol:

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm

I parked at Circuit last year at WEC round, of course that event was a lot quieter than GP weekend. Will be going again this August to see Alonso and Toyota. imho far better value than F1, less crowds, free access to most grandstands etc .

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 am

We camped and walked in. Great option. Maybe not this year tho?!
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

jason

Post by jason » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 am

Thanks for input, all. Following more googling, bit the bullet and chosen circuit parking.
campbell wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 am
We camped and walked in. Great option. Maybe not this year tho?!
Tempting to camp next year (1988 was the last time I camped the weekend, "where do the years go?", etc :shock: ) as it'll be the last year he's free (2x cost of full weekend pass at Silverstone is a bit pricey).

Looking forward to taking him a fortnight today :D
Last edited by jason on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jason

Post by jason » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 am

ScottJ-PS wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm
I parked at Circuit last year at WEC round, of course that event was a lot quieter than GP weekend. Will be going again this August to see Alonso and Toyota. imho far better value than F1, less crowds, free access to most grandstands etc .
Good shout :thumbsup ....the last 1000km (IIRC 6hrs nowadays?) I was at was Brands in 1987 :lol: Tickets look great VFM, will consider that next year (date clash this year).

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am

jason wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 am
ScottJ-PS wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Good shout :thumbsup ....the last 1000km (IIRC 6hrs nowadays?) I was at was Brands in 1987 :lol: Tickets look great VFM, will consider that next year (date clash this year).
Suport races also OK. Last year we saw Emerson Fittipaldis nephew in a Lotus liveried Renault world series 3.5 V8, not quite a Type 72 JPS but good enough .

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am

I had been getting excited about taking our 2 to F1 for the first time. Fairly soon I'd hoped. But I'm just not so sure any more. I think the magic may have gone from the series.

Silverstone 2008 was my one and only. It was very good

jason

Post by jason » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 am

campbell wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am
I had been getting excited about taking our 2 to F1 for the first time. Fairly soon I'd hoped. But I'm just not so sure any more. I think the magic may have gone from the series.

Silverstone 2008 was my one and only. It was very good Image
I hear what you're saying, and know how I fondly recall the 80s and 90s so much (witnessing Senna dance his Lotus from Paddock Hill in '86 qualifying a hair on neck memory still), but I think the magic of witnessing them for the first ever time for a young one (hopefully) remains :thumbsup

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 am

WEC highly recommended. Cheap (massively cheap compared to the insanity of F1 prices), not crowded, no queues for toilets or food/beer, mostly free grandstand seating, longer race so you can watch from multiple stands and walk right round the track, no problems with parking or campsite pitches, good pitlane access.... oh, and much better racing action!

Very different to a F1 weekend.

Given the choice of F1 vs WEC, that would be tough. But given the choice of a F1 friday vs WEC race... no contest. WEC race!!

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:55 am

Calendar link for WEC?

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 pm

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Ta. Will explore. Prob no space this year but can maybe plan for next...

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:40 am

Not much use, but from what I’ve seen, Friday wasn’t too busy with general spectators and the car park at Copse Tunnel seems to empty quickly.
I’m in the Officials camp site for the weekend as on Scrutineering duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)