Average speed cameras

Anything goes in here.....
neil

Re: Average speed cameras

Post by neil » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Yeah but that's at one bad junction where the cameras are only 100m apart so easy enough to connect together. Whether they work over longer distances is what I really want to know. Not feeling brave enough to increase the cruise control by 1mph each time I drive down the a90
Exige V6

UncleRon

Post by UncleRon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Have to agree Neil - I know loads of people caught by old school Gatso's, Scamera Vans, Police behind hedges and the like but even though our land is full of average speed cameras now I have never heard of anyone actually charged with speeding through any.

Very,very effective at getting the hordes to adhere to speed limits over long distances though......

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Put an N3TUT plate on James, dial in 85, and wait and see what transpires

Most of our speedos are within 2-5% of sat nav indicated. Pretty sharp.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 pm

I've posted elsewhere about the app I have on my phone, which stores average gps speed too - the benefit being if you're allowed by say an overtaking lorry, you can hit surprising numbers before the average is back at low 70s...... allegedly :blackeye
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

jen
Girl racer

Post by jen » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:14 am

I know this isn’t about the average speed cameras, but does anyone know if the cameras on the gantry’s on the A90 between Dunfermline and Newbridge are on/working? Also, do they flash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD

Post by BigD » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 am

jen wrote:I know this isn’t about the average speed cameras, but does anyone know if the cameras on the gantry’s on the A90 between Dunfermline and Newbridge are on/working? Also, do they flash?

They’re like the smart motorway ones, they don’t flash but are only on when there’s a reduced speed, say 50. When no reduced speed they’re not on as far as I know. Tested that to a point.

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 am

Just be wary of locals joining the road and passing you at great speed (for 3 or 4 miles) until they reach the first camera. Might fool some into a false sense of security that you can go much faster...

On the drive between ABZ and Dundee, I set the cruise control to an indicated 73, which I reckon is about 69/70 and not had any problems. You would only save 3 - 4 minutes doing an indicated 77-78, so not worth the extra stress.

As we know the cameras at either side of the 50mph zone at Laurencekirk are a pair, in theory you could go as fast as you wished after leavinbg the 50 zone until you reach the next camera. No idea what the other "pairs" of cameras are.

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm

BigD wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 am
jen wrote:I know this isn’t about the average speed cameras, but does anyone know if the cameras on the gantry’s on the A90 between Dunfermline and Newbridge are on/working? Also, do they flash?

They’re like the smart motorway ones, they don’t flash but are only on when there’s a reduced speed, say 50. When no reduced speed they’re not on as far as I know. Tested that to a point.
They do flash. Got flashed by one that I didn’t even know existed on a gantry just before the bridge northbound.
Lack of lines on the road makes them more stealth.

Limit was down to 50 and I cruised through at about 70tuts.
It was dark and it was a very bright flash!

A quick google shows they’re still just in the testing phase though and not operational.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

BigD

Average speed cameras

Post by BigD » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Stevoraith wrote:
BigD wrote:

They do flash. Got flashed by one that I didn’t even know existed on a gantry just before the bridge northbound.
Lack of lines on the road makes them more stealth.

Limit was down to 50 and I cruised through at about 70tuts.
It was dark and it was a very bright flash!

A quick google shows they’re still just in the testing phase though and not operational.
Good to know. Assumed they didn’t flash as I’d obviously not set them off. Image

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:41 pm

As Steve says, they're still under test and they do flash.

https://twitter.com/safetycamscot/statu ... 28384?s=21

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 pm

BigD wrote:

Lots of reports down here of people being charged by these cameras when there's not a reduced limit.
I always keep below 75 when I go under the gantry's with cameras on the M4 here. PITA.

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 pm

I can confirm they do not charge you when there is no reduced limit and you are in a loan car from Porsche and interested in its performance up to 70, your honour.
W213 All Terrain

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:43 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sou ... s-39515289

Prosecutions issued from 20mph to 70mph

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 am

flyingscot68 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 pm
BigD wrote:

Lots of reports down here of people being charged by these cameras when there's not a reduced limit.
I always keep below 75 when I go under the gantry's with cameras on the M4 here. PITA.
Ah when you say these you mean the type of cameras not the ones quoted on the A90.
W213 All Terrain

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:56 am

Sanjøy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 am
flyingscot68 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 pm
BigD wrote:

Ah when you say these you mean the type of cameras not the ones quoted on the A90.
When I say these, I mean the smart motorway ones, which look just like those on the A90