Road biking braking

Anything goes in here.....
Lazydonkey

Re: Road biking braking

Post by Lazydonkey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:51 pm

In the dry I don't find much difference between hydraulics and the 105s I have on road bike. In the wet it's a different story mind...
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Dark,
Thanks for your route tips. We’re back out to Puerto Pollença next month, having been there last October.
We’ve booked the Bike Bus to Andrax, having done the Valdemossa trip last time. For anyone else heading out there, we’re again hiring from the Pinarello Experience in Puerto Pollença. Decent bike hire rates for a week and brakes set up UK style.
Good rim brakes are fine in the dry, but discs suffer less in the wet. Cheaper rim/caliper brakes tend to have flexy calipers which give poor feedback and modulation, which with cheap blocks mean a lack of confidence. I had a nasty crash in Corsica when I had locked brakes riding a Claris equipped bike.
For me, 105 (5700), SRAM Rival, or high end TRP calipers with Ultegra or Swisstop blocks are good base line brakes. As also mentioned, decent rubber (Continental, or Schwalbe) 25-28mm helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)

IanD

Post by IanD » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 am

La Victoria was steep and sun was blazing and 30°C but knew it was short so not too bad.

Did another recommendation on our last day with bikes i.e. 'the coast road west of Soller towards Deia & Valldemossa is stunning, with an amazing little road down to Port Valldemossa'

Wife struggled quite a bit 3rd day in a row cycling especially with the hills being a bit tougher than she expected and lots of constant uphill, we had to turn round just before doing the bit to Port Valldemossa unfortunately but still a lovely route.
Great croissants and coffee in Deia though !

Drove the road back from Soller to Pollensa next day, that was hard enough work driving and some bits looked steep that must be a tough cycle, my challenge for next time !

Will play about braking when I'm home on some straight roads, already feels a bit better and I'm sure I can improve greatly based on more confidence, getting better weight balance and front braking. Might look at brake components after that.

Really enjoyed our road biking in Majorca. Not sure if good or bad, my wife bought a road bike last year to see if she would like it or not so we went bottom end and only spent something like £700. Said she didn't think she needed a good bike but now quoted 'this bike feels really good, easier up hills, brakes much better and gears are so much nicer' as hire was a Wilier GTR £2000+ carbon, Ultegra R8000 drivetrain etc job :)

So think her upgrade budget has increased. All good means I have an excuse for me also spending more on car or bike bits methinks.
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

Dark

Post by Dark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am

I'll just leave this here.... one of many highlights from last weeks trip to the Dolomites & Italian Alps!

2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

IanD

Post by IanD » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 am

That's looks a lot higher, colder and harder than Majorca hills. Nice :thumbsup

Was looking at a pistonheads thread and noticed a similar picture. A group of McLaren guys were doing a European tour in the last week including kerryxeg on here

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 66979&i=20
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

Dark

Post by Dark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 am

We saw a couple of Italian & Swiss groups of Lotus' but nothing really exotic except an Alfa 4C and a Renault Alpine, hundreds of motorbikes mind! The Dolomites were very busy around Corvara and the Sella Ronda, much quieter in the Italian Alps around Bormio.

Having ridden up Stelvio I can't really see the attraction to drive it in anything bigger or faster than an Elise, the surface isn't great and the hairpins are very tight, the risk of catching the front spoiler or under tray in a supercar would make for very slow progress!

Image Image Image
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)