Road biking braking

Anything goes in here.....
IanD

Road biking braking

Post by IanD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 am

Any tips ?

From the road bikes guys ?

Came from mountain biking and really struggling with braking ability of road bikes.

I'm nothing great on MTB and being 50 and crap balance and core strength but still find confidence braking on road bikes the biggest problem even for me as a real amateur.
Know the lines and want to have fun but braking is a big problem for me.

In Majorca his week, did up to Formentor today, soo busy (knew it would be ) but almost run into back of a car doing 30mph+ locked rear when I didn't even think I was braking that hard and minimal feedback/warning didn't even consider stopping in time was going to be a problem until I locked up.

Just can't feel what is happening compared to MTB which you can feel what is happening and react on MTB due to feel and what tyres are doing.

So any help ?
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

IanD

Re: Road biking braking

Post by IanD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:31 am

Plan is Sa Calobra tomorrow if I can get up in 5hrs time :shock:
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 am

Same as with the mountain bike almost 100% braking from the front until you tip it in to the corner then roll off the front onto the back as you turn in and trail the back through the corner if you need to scrub more speed. It’s easy to catch the rear of it goes just by releasing the brake. If you lock the front your 99% a gonner

You’ll get used to the feel it is there it’s just that the zone is much narrower and much more punishing. Getting good rubber also makes a huge difference to confidence. It’s a while since I’ve ridden / raced but Schwalbe Ultremos and Continental GP4000s we’re very good.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:33 am

What brakes/pads do you have.

Getting your arse off the back will help also in heavy braking.
"Here for a good time not a long time"

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:05 am

If its a hire bike check the blocks are not glazed.

Good luck with Sa Calobra today its a beast.
W213 All Terrain

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:13 am

You should be hitting 50mph coming back down from Sa Calobra, so today will be fun.

Just brake earlier and you will be fine. Remember that the brakes are on the opposite sides of the handlebars and it’s hard to readjust if you have been used to the other way for years. That is why you probably locked up as you’re used to feathering the brakes that way.

Enjoy today’s ride. 8)

Steve.

Dark

Post by Dark » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:14 pm

The decent down Sa Colabra will be "kill or cure" for your confidence! :D
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:23 pm

I think I maybe need some one to tell me the basics based on above comments suspect technique (and knowledge) is lacking but get away with it MTB'ing.

Sa Colabra was great, took it easy on the hairpin downhills probably thinking about how much uphill I had to do on way back (not helped by drinking rum and ginger beer until after 1 but managed to get up 7.30)

Liked the sweeping bits, was a bit time constrained so only a 40mile cycle but will cycle Pollensa town where we are holidaying up to Lluc as that looks a great bit to do up and especially back downhill. Did spend all downhill remembering which brake was the rear !

Sounds like I need to read about braking technique then a bit of practice then see if wheels, pads or brake upgrades are worthwhile only got a £900 or so 105 brake spec bike at home.

Came a cropper a few years ago on a troti bike (big scooter, really crap brakes) in Grindelwald, didn't make a corner, thought it was ok taking to grass until i pulled the wrong brake on, locked the front and went over handlebars skidding across grass on my head ended up grass stuck in helmet (dads army style all our oldies group said) and struggled to walk next day with neck pain.
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Today's picture, looking down Sa Calobra

Dark, any suggestions for interesting routes near Pollensa. Probably only a few hours cycling time but can drive to nearer to reduce 'total time away'. Campbell mentioned you were in the area recently, I'm not that great or a serious fit cyclist but like a challenge and some fun, variety and a buzz. Researched usual stuff but interested in any personal opinions.

Cheers.

Another night of good prep, a few dark and stormy (rum, ginger beer and lime)
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

Dark

Post by Dark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:07 am

Ian,

Best route up to Lluc is clockwise via Campanet which avoids the slog up the MA-10 with no shade. About 40 miles.

Head south out of Pollensa old town on the MA-2200 past the golf course on left. After about 5km there is a lane on the right at the top of a small hill next to some bins. This is Campanet Lane and takes you though all the vineyards & fruit orchards along the base of the mountains. Another 7km gets you to a crossroads, Coves de Campanet on left, go straight on up the hill to the outskirts of Campanet. There is a little supermarket on the right for drinks or go straight on into town for a cafe. The route turns right past the supermarket, over a small crossroads to a T-junction after ~100m. Turn right heading towards Selva & Caimari. Another ~3km go straight across at the cross roads and take the 2nd right up to Caimari. Don't worry if you miss it, you'll get to Selva where turning right onto the MA-2130 also takes you to Caimari. Ruta Verda on the main road is a bike friendly cafe stop run by a German.

Now the best bit, carry on up the MA-2130 towards Lluc, it's about 8km at 5-6% and is absolutely lovely with lots of shade and a flatter section in the middle to catch your breath. Towards the top there are six more hairpins, from the last one it's <1km to the petrol station & cafe. After the petrol station turn right onto the MA-10 for a fast 2km down towards Lluc. Turn left for the monastery or right for a bit more uphill before the ~20km decent back to Pollenca, just be very careful on the corners! The final 5km is a flattish time trail back to Pollenca old town.

For an easier day suggest heading out to La Victoria which is the promontory opposite Cap Formentor behind Alcudia. From Pollenca old town you can follow the back lanes that run parallel to the MA-2220. It's a bit of a challenge to find the right road out of Alcudia but eventually you get a few kms of quiet roads along past some secluded bays before a series of steep ramps take you up to the view point. On the way back down look for a turning on the right which takes you further along the coast, past the no entry signs (!) until you get to the mysterious tunnel leading into the military base! If the phone rings don't answer it!

If you're prepared to drive then head out to Sa Pobla, park the car and head south to Muro, Santa Margalida, Llubi or Petra. All are lovely old working towns with several cafes once you locate the town square. Navigating can be a bit of a challenge if you want to avoid the main roads but most of the back roads are well surfaced.

If you fancy a much longer drive then the coast road west of Soller towards Deia & Valldemossa is stunning, with an amazing little road down to Port Valldemossa! Or east of Soller is the longest climb on the island up to Puig Major which is called The Pig for good reason!

If you're confident riding in a group and looking for company then there is a group of expats who leave from Tolo's in Port de Pollenca every morning at ~8.30am for a brisk 50 miles at ~17mph average depending upon who turns up! They are usually a friendly bunch and I've known them for years. There is also a group from Pro Bike Hire at 9am every Tues, Thurs & Sat but they tend to be faster and more competitive.

Drop me a PM if you want any more suggestions!

Cheers, Mark

Strava Routes
https://www.strava.com/routes/15238745
https://www.strava.com/routes/15238760

PS: go to Pepe's in Cala San Vicenc for lunch! :)

IanD

Post by IanD » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks for the info. Routes look spot on :thumbsup

Will definitely do Lluc the other way based on your comments. And Alcudia sounds ideal, not been out past Aculdia town and fancied seeing what is we like whether we were cycling or not, an ideal starter if my wife hires for a couple of days next week, cheers.

Ironically read you post sitting in a cafe next to Cala Moilins beach as we did Kayaking / cliff jumping in morning, googled Pepe's and it was 100yds away but had just ordered lunch in our cafe :(
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:06 pm

On braking it's all about weight transfer, road bikes will stop very very quickly you might find it helps if you get down low and back and have a practice.

Get some speed up, nice straight on a good surface and with your hands on the drops brake nice and progressively with both brakes. Then try it again each time increasing the amount of braking. it doesn't matter if you lock the back, it'll just follow wherever the front is going! Just remember where your weight is, low and back. Keep your cranks level and try dropping your heels to get your weight even further back.

Hope that helps...
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

IanD

Post by IanD » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 am

Did La Victoria yesterday and Lluc today loved Lluc route from flat start, the lovely uphill, sweeping downhill (more fun than driving it other day) and even last 5km I thought would be a slog was fun, kept losing my wife (May) off my back wheel and had to back off as wanted to push more on final bit even with head wind.

Only told May part way up to Lluc we had another 8k or more to climb, her language wasn't too lady like but she admitted at the top it was a good cycle.

Messed about with braking a bit, was preparing too early to get round corners rather than braking for corner so cranks even, more front braking makes a big difference :thumbsup

Debating whether to do south of soller tomorrow together, something around da colobra myself as a challenge or less time consuming around Sa Pobla. Mega thunderstorms tonight so might see what its like early tomorrow as forecast currently rain for tomorrow.

Routes definitely have been spot on Dark so thanks. :thumbsup
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

Dark

Post by Dark » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 am

Excellent! :thumbsup

One more option with a bit less driving but still some hills is to leave the car in Lloseta or Alaro (just west in Inca) and follow the MA-2100 anti-clockwise around to Orient & Bunyola. The climbs over the Coll d'Orient and Coll de Honor are tough but steady, there's a cafe/bar in Orient then nothing but quiet roads until Bunyola.

How did you find the steep bits up to La Victoria? :shock:

Doc883

Post by Doc883 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:42 am

Big move amongst manufacturers now is towards hydraulic disc brakes so much more in keeping with your mtb background so maybe try that option. Having said that correctly setup rim brakes with the likes of Swissstop pads are hugely effective.
S-Max Titanium X Sport - Wife Spec
Audi RS3 Quattro spec all weather beast