Classic Car Engine Diagnostics

Anything goes in here.....
111Robin

Classic Car Engine Diagnostics

Post by 111Robin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:14 pm

With my involvement with classic cars over many years and working at my old dad's garage from a young age, we used to hook every car up to our Sun tuner as part of the normal service. With the advent of electronic ignition/fuel injection etc. the need for this service died off during the early 80's. These days it's not that easy to find a garage that either knows much about or can be bothered with old cars (I know there are still some but they're not the norm') therefore if you own an older car with a (shock horror) distributor, coil, points, carburettor(s), it's often a matter of replacing parts in the hope that this will cure any poor performance issues you might have. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I now own a classic Sun analyser (1979 vintage) and I'm considering offering a diagnostic service to owners of classic cars, to help identify any issues with poor performance. I'm still getting to grips with using the machine so I'm happy to provide a free hook-up and test if anyone is interested, to gain experience with identifying primarily any issues with the ignition system. I need to gain more experience with identifying different faults therefore I'm happy to do this for a while until I'm more confident with the diagnosis process. If this is of any interest to anyone just ping me a message and I'll sort out a convenient time. I'd prefer cars that are still running points but I can still get a picture from some electronic ignition set ups that will still identify issues.
(PS. I'm in Aberdeenshire)

Image20180720_154805 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Image20180726_122844 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Re: Classic Car Engine Diagnostics

Post by pete » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 am

Good effort
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

111Robin

Post by 111Robin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:55 pm

I can also do a full series of tests on the starting and charging systems with this other Sun tester so if you want a full check over 70's style just give me a shout (I won't be wearing flares however ! :roll: )

ImageVat40 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

In addition to the diagnostics I can offer a full mechanical check over of any classic car including brakes, steering, suspension etc.

Image20170707_083817 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:28 pm

pete wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 am
Good effort
:withstupid
I don't need said service but glad you are catering for those that do :thumbsup
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

111Robin

Post by 111Robin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks for the encouragement. My dad served his time in the 50's when servicing a car was far more involved than on today's cars so I've learned the old school way over the many years I worked with him. If I can provide a good service to classic owners then hopefully I can build the business from here. It's early days but I'm very keen to make a go of this. Providing free diagnostic checks is hopefully a good way of showing people what the equipment is capable of, removing the guesswork from identifying faults.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am

This is a great idea, and that equipment looks amazing, especially the condition!
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Fantastic!

I think you have a great concept there, Robin.

How are you marketing yourself / services?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

111Robin

Post by 111Robin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks Campbell. I'm not really getting very far with it to be honest. I've started to create a website on Wix and I've created a Facebook page but it hasn't had much response. I have so much to learn from the web/social media side of things that it's a bit daunting. I'm hoping to be able to offer a full servicing and repair service for classic cars, starting out very small to test the water, before considering going full steam ahead however reaching out to the relevant local clientele is something I need to figure out.

111Robin

Post by 111Robin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Corranga wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am
This is a great idea, and that equipment looks amazing, especially the condition!
Cheers. Both testers were fully overhauled by an ex Sun engineer in the states, he has a workshop full of these waiting to be refurbished.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:23 pm

111Robin wrote:Thanks Campbell. I'm not really getting very far with it to be honest. I've started to create a website on Wix and I've created a Facebook page but it hasn't had much response. I have so much to learn from the web/social media side of things that it's a bit daunting. I'm hoping to be able to offer a full servicing and repair service for classic cars, starting out very small to test the water, before considering going full steam ahead however reaching out to the relevant local clientele is something I need to figure out.
Get going on Twitter and LinkedIn. And on classic car forums.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy