campbell

Re: Dreaded Clutch Problem (Sport350)

Post by campbell » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm

That whisky is the best idea you've had in weeks
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Surely they would have test driven it after that work? Poor service to return the car like that.

Tough call! These wee cars can fairly get under your skin... can give such rewards and pleasure, but also such hassles and pain. Having had a fair share of pain over the years, I still reckon it's worth the hassle. Of course, a good garage can make all the difference with that balance.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am

This makes for a depressing read (pardon pun)
I am in awe of your patience over what is a totally unacceptable level of service.
I would be returning the vehicle and asking for a full refund as it is not fit for purpose.
You have a full audit trail of all the sequence of events and the percentage number of days it has been off the road during your ownership tenure.

Does the pedal raise up or down after pumping?
Notice any difference in clutch operation between hot and cold ?
Assuming all the usual suspects have been replaced.....it sounds like master cylinder/bleeding/fluid

Finish your dram and pen a CEO email

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

ed

Post by ed » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:18 am

So sorry to read about this. Hope they are sympathetic to any further requests and they stop dragging this out any longer. :chainsaw
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

renmure

Post by renmure » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:50 pm

H8OAG wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am
I am in awe of your patience over what is a totally unacceptable level of service.
Same here.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:26 pm

renmure wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:50 pm
H8OAG wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am
Same here.
Lol thanks. As you can probably understand I'm incredibly pissed off about the whole thing but I've tried to control and limit my emotional chimpanzee from smashing stuff up and shouting at people and focus on being reasonable and accommodating of the dealers attempts to resolve the situation, partly because I want(ed, currently reevaluating this) to keep the car, and partly because I know that being prepared and having demonstrated reasonable efforts to rectify helps should things get messy later.

An update to the Saga is that the Dealer and Lotus are suggesting the symptoms (which are basically identical to those of the initial problem that the dealer and Lotus confirmed was a faulty / worn clutch) are normal behaviour and I've been offered access to a Lotus field engineer when he's next at Leven to have the car apprised, again.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:21 pm

An update to the Saga is that the Dealer and Lotus are suggesting the symptoms (which are basically identical to those of the initial problem that the dealer and Lotus confirmed was a faulty / worn clutch) are normal behaviour and I've been offered access to a Lotus field engineer when he's next at Leven to have the car apprised, again.

We all know that TADTS is bollocks......
A straw poll of the owners on here will also confirm likewise

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Just spent a bit of time looking at Deroure part diagram (the 350 version is now included, it wasn't before), and (assuming the clutch mechanism is good as its been replaced) the problem is likely either the Release Bearing, Release adapter, clutch damper (possibly fitted back to front as it should only damp engagement for launch control not release as I understand) or master / slave cylinder issue or fluid boiled / bad bleed.

I've asked the dealer what has been checked and ruled out as the problem and also for some of the other questions that have yet to be clarified.

Stay tuned...
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Video of problem... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icYOdG_ ... e=youtu.be

Video makes it seem less present due to the image stabilisation.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

tenkfeet

Post by tenkfeet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

My car will sometimes do that when cold as I reverse out the garage and then put it into first gear to reposition forward. As soon as I start driving and by the end of my road it won't do it again.

My daily driver's clutch fully releases with plenty of pedal movement left where as the Exige is at the end of the pedal travel. The Exige clutch pedal would only have to be up very slightly and it would drag.
No lotus
Exige Sport 350 (Sold)
Elise Cup 250 (Air con and radio tubby spec) (Sold)
Evora S (sold)

Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi Rawsco,

As suggested on SELOC, I had an issue with my clutch master cylinder, which caused a problem when the car was cold for about a minute. It turned out to be completely faulty and was only 3.5 years old and covered 13k. Whilst it might be unlikely, this is definitely something the garage should look at.

Hope you get it sorted.

Rich
Try 1 Answer Insurance for all your Lotus needs. We deal with all types of private & commercial insurance requirements. Contact us on 0800 276 1338 and quote SE Lotus Scheme for special discounts.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm

rawsco wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:34 pm
Just spent a bit of time looking at Deroure part diagram (the 350 version is now included, it wasn't before), and (assuming the clutch mechanism is good as its been replaced) the problem is likely either the Release Bearing, Release adapter, clutch damper (possibly fitted back to front as it should only damp engagement for launch control not release as I understand) or master / slave cylinder issue or fluid boiled / bad bleed.

I've asked the dealer what has been checked and ruled out as the problem and also for some of the other questions that have yet to be clarified.

Stay tuned...
I cannot see how it can be the release bearing. Boag is closer to the mark with the master/slave cylinders and bleeding. If you don't get full travel at the slave cylinder then you won't compress the diaphragm (or whatever it is) enough to release the pressure plate from the clutch.

If it is the damper, then if you press the pedal to the floor in neutral for 30 seconds *then* try to engage gear, if it goes in without a clunk/creep then the damper might be involved; if the behaviour is just the same whether you wait or not, then it's not the damper.

Pumping the pedal as per Boag's suggestion will compress any air bubbles that might be in the circuit, if that causes it to go in without symptoms then you need new fluid/bleed.

If the release arm is weak then you might get this too, but I've never seen that on any car (but then again, I've never even looked at the V6 clutch setup).

Are you 100% sure that they replaced the clutch cover, driven plate and release bearing?

If the original fault was a weak diaphragm and they didn't change it, then you would have the same problem still....

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks Robin, the release bearing issue is a known weak point, there’s an adaptor thing. As randy from Hoffman’s said in relation to another issue that’s pretty much identical to mine the release bearing binds on the input shaft (presumably due to misalignment of the adaptor / release bearing).

Re the damper, if you leave in neutral with clutch depressed for a few seconds the issue doesn’t appear. Obviously a gear change is only a few tenths during which the clutch is dragging and causing the troublesome shifts. So damper, or it’s the release bearing assembly working it’s way down the shaft as it spins.

I’m sure the garage has checked the master slave and bleed but I’ve asked for confirmation of this, what exact parts have been replaced and what other diagnostics were completed.

I tried pumping the pedal last night and I don’t think it made a huge difference the problem seems worse when warm so it was difficult to tell in the garage and I had to stop before I gassed myself.

To be honest the needle is swinging to I don’t care anymore and sending the letter before action on Monday looking increasingly likely. I’ve now seen pics of the removed clutch and there are scorch marks on the flywheel so looks like it’s been suffering.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Suffice to say that after some further investigations the car is definitively not fixed and I’m now proceeding with the rejection.

I know with a fairly high degree of certainty what is wrong and why the clutch replacement hasn’t fixed the problem. Once it’s all sorted out I’ll post the details and wrap up this nightmare story...
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:12 pm

:( Gutted for you.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline