Tut's funeral

Anything goes in here.....
istoo

Re: Tut's funeral

Post by istoo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 pm

what a turn out of folk from far and wide.

the convoy was incredible, sensible until N3TUT decided to overtake everything in sight, which felt apt.

service was fitting and very funny, ended up with a mixture if tears of sadness and laughter.

sorry I had to bail at 1500, i have no headlights.... made it home at 1630 i had to tailgate someone with actual lights. i did a wee salute when i left.

Incredible effort and lengths folks went to be there. uplifting, hope you all give a good send off Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2 111s

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Very sad day. Wishing everyone the best.

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Epic day and was glad to be a part of it. It was amazing to see everyone come along and pay their respects. Lovely service and the pictures and readings were first class.

Tut would have been proud.

Steve.

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 pm

It was a fitting send off indeed. A privilege to be there.
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

The Hoff

Post by The Hoff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:02 am

Hello all,

I've been out of touch with the Lotus community for more than 6 years now, however I just found out through a Facebook post from Scott Robson that Tut had sadly passed away. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. I only met him on a number of occasions, but enough to know that he was a genuinely nice fella.

I'm glad he was the one to buy my yellow Elise back in 2007.. and properly enjoyed it! RIP Tut.

Cowan

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 am

Hey Cowan, great to hear from you.

There was many a pic of your old car in the slideshow today. He did you proud!

Hope all well with you and yours.

Campbell
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

The Hoff

Post by The Hoff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:25 am

campbell wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 am
Hey Cowan, great to hear from you.

There was many a pic of your old car in the slideshow today. He did you proud!

Hope all well with you and yours.

Campbell
Hi Campbell,

I never had to search long on the net to find N3! I gather today was very much a celebration of his life with a fitting send off I'm sure.

With regards to us, we're all ok thanks. Great to hear from you to, and my best wishes to you and your family!

Cowan
Last edited by The Hoff on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:59 am

It was a stunning tribute. The eulogy and poems were beautifully read and content made you laugh and cry. As Ali said so well, a priviledge to have had the opportunity to pay my respects.

Best part of 10 hours driving yesterday for me and there were plenty of you that came a lot further. 👍

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:07 pm

alicrozier wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 pm
It was a fitting send off indeed. A privilege to be there.
Perfectly said
Now with half an engine

greyrigg

Post by greyrigg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:39 pm

alicrozier wrote:It was a fitting send off indeed. A privilege to be there.
Couldn’t agree more.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue7

Post by blue7 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks for letting us tag along, it was good to have some company on a sad journey. He had a good day for his final farewell and what a turnout ... he would never have expected so many cars in his wildest dreams and he managed to bring Keith to a standstill.

I first met him at a Fennels V8B and after chatting to Maggie for a while he told me how lucky I was to have a wife that enjoyed being in a Caterham. I told him that such thoughts had never occurred to me, I always thought the main benefits were that when we went to House of Bruar she couldn't buy too many clothes because the boot was so small and a Caterham is so noisy that she can't speak ... three hours of driving bliss :mrgreen:

Many thanks to Tut's family for a wonderful service, you all did so well. We couldn't return to TT, we wanted to get home in daylight, it's no fun driving a 7 in the dark and we wanted to get past a certain farm on Cabrach ... before the banjos started playing.

A day we will never forget, here is a short video of the journey:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/rwjYrr8OI3M[/youtube]

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:43 pm

What an amazing day to send off an amazing man. The funeral procession must have been a sight to behold to onlookers.

I loved that the family did all the talking at the crematorium. I'm not one for hearing about someone from a 3rd party who never met the person. Mike, Claire and Verian's cousin represented tut perfectly although Mike did say afterwards that he could have told so many more stories and he had to leave loads out because they weren't suitable for children. I was gutted for Iain that he wasn't able to make it but glad he was able to share his words back at the house.

I took tut's grandson Nick to the crematorium and back. In true tut fashion, I took a wrong turn on the way back and ended up and the train station with James and Steve following. Standard abuse from the pair of them followed. Nick said he has the feeling SE was a really strong community. He's right and tut was right at the centre of that as his 22,975 posts will testify.
Exige GT

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:43 pm

What a send off indeed!
Tut would have been proud listening to the fab family accolades .
The wrap on the coffin was genius .... good shout Verian!

Having enriched our lives with his truly unique character.....we are entitled at this juncture to feel a little poorer after his departure

He is certainly one of the main reasons I am still loyal to a little plastic car after 14 years
:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:16 pm

I think this was by Paul Golding. Cropped a little, for effect.

http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

graeme

Post by graeme » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Yesterday was a happy and sad occasion in roughly equal measures. I thought Mike, Clare, Susie and Iain all did so well, and their words and pictures really hit the mark. Such a difficult thing to do, I imagine. They all did him proud.

The legendary stories were in full flow throughout the day, and it’s great that we all have those wonderful, crazy moments to cherish and recall round the campfires for the rest of our days, and Tut will live on every time we say the words, “Do you remember when…?” Which we will. Often. For a long time to come.

But for me, it’s not the memorable mad moments I’m going to miss the most, but the the day-to-day stuff. The unremarkable but constant soundtrack to my life for the last… blimey… 17 years?! What a privilege it has been to be counted in the circulation of The Daily Tut; such a fine topical, editorial publication of remarkable frequency, distributed via email, forum and then WhatsApp as time moved on. It still hasn’t properly sunk in that there will never be another issue. A decade and a half of Tut’s hugely significant contribution to the daily ritual of talking utter bollocks with you lot has come to an end. That very sad realisation seems to be how the sense of loss is manifesting itself for me.

But of course I’m aware that it’s such a minor inconvenience compared with the sorrow his family are feeling right now, and my love and thoughts remain with them. I'm sure that for Verian 40 years of putting up with Tut is going to have been infinitely easier than one moment of not putting up with him.

---

It’s no surprise to me any more that everyone, far and wide, seems to have heard of Tut. When I asked for the day off work to attend Tut's funeral, my boss knew who I was talking about, even though they never met, and I’ve never mentioned him at work. After a while, this sort of occurrence becomes normal. Everyone knows Tut.

But what always amazed me about him was how well Tut knew other people. Really knew them. You could meet him once, in a pit lane with 50 others, and the next time he saw you he’d greet you with that smile and recall your name, your partner’s name (and vital statistics!), which car was yours, and where and when he last saw you. I still remember the first time I met Tut, and it was of course utterly bewildering and terrifying, but it was nothing compared to the feeling of meeting him for the second time. A feeling of warmth, friendship, and inclusion. And he did that with everyone.
He could talk bollocks about cars all day, but his favourite topic, I reckon, was always people.

None more so than his family. I used to love his habit of (over-)sharing family news with us at the very earliest opportunity, motivated by pride and seemingly little else. I know this lack of boundaries would, on occasion, drive Verian up the wall, but to me it was a very genuine and endearing trait.

That sense of inclusion embodied by Tut became the spirit of Scottish Elises over the years, and I hope I can do my bit to keep that alive. I’ll never be as mad behind the wheel, or live a fraction of the incredible life he led, but I think making sure we get all together more often is the way I’d most like to #bemoretut

And if we ever organise a run in Tut’s memory, I hope it will be called “The Dash”

RIP Tut