Latest Tax Grab by SNP/Greens (Council tax)

Anything goes in here.....
finlay

Latest Tax Grab by SNP/Greens (Council tax)

Post by finlay » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Anyone been watching the latest stuff re Council tax with the greens threatening not to support the Nats unless they start pushing their new Council tax plans?

For those not aware - 1% annual levy based on market valuation of your house.

As someone who's thinking of moving home soon..... this is a concern.

Wondered if anyone had any views or thoughts?
Exige 410
911T
R300 Caterham

point n squirt

Re: Latest Tax Grab by SNP/Greens (Council tax)

Post by point n squirt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 pm

Yes has put a small dent on my world domination plans, i have till the 29th to overthrow Donald Trumps property empire and declare myself supreme leader. Greedy buggers
The Complete Building Solution
www.lindsayjoineryservices.co.uk

neil

Post by neil » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:05 am

This place used to get on far better before politics came along. Political "discussions" led to the decline IMHO. Personally I'd be happier if SE was kept politics free - there's enough of it everywhere else.
Exige V6

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:33 am

neil wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:05 am
This place used to get on far better before politics came along. Political "discussions" led to the decline IMHO. Personally I'd be happier if SE was kept politics free - there's enough of it everywhere else.
Yeah... I did think about ordering the popcorn in tho
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 am

I agree with Neil

(Sorry Finlay!)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am

Neil's upset because he's just gone a bought a new house :blackeye. It's not the politics that's the problem, it's the inevitable offence that tends to come along with it at some point. As long as it stays civil then it's all good IMHO.

I haven't seen anything on an annual levy but the Greens and SNP both want to to away with the 'unfair' Council Tax. If they do, it'll probably be replaced with the 'unfair' AN Other Tax.
Exige GT

neil

Post by neil » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:01 am

hendeg wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am
As long as it stays civil then it's all good IMHO.
I'd agree with you on that point but history on here has shown it never does.
Exige V6

Rosssco

Post by Rosssco » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 am

hendeg wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am
I haven't seen anything on an annual levy but the Greens and SNP both want to to away with the 'unfair' Council Tax. If they do, it'll probably be replaced with the 'unfair' AN Other Tax.
The more 'unfair' tax is, IMO, the increase income tax base rate last year, plus the two instances of failing to match UK tax banding increases.

That's an easy £1.5k for those of us on a decent salary. And is money that could be much better spent wasted on Lego Elise parts :mrgreen:
VX220 SC
M135i
Parajet V3 Moster 185

BigD

Post by BigD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am

hendeg wrote:Neil's upset because he's just gone a bought a new house :blackeye. It's not the politics that's the problem, it's the inevitable offence that tends to come along with it at some point. As long as it stays civil then it's all good IMHO.

‘Offense’ is taken not given. Image

The greens proposal would reduce my council tax by about £100pm. Image I do think we need an update to the way bands are calculated.

Anyway, I mostly agree that politics should remain in other places rather than a car forum. Those with strong opinions usually end up shouting down those who can’t be bothered and then those that can’t be bothered wander off elsewhere as life is too short........

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Most profound thing you've said all year, D
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 pm

I think a thread about politics is a healthy thing. Can be an emotive subject for sure but we are adults. On a personal note I am angry with the Scottish government too. The misalignment of UK tax rates on one count, council tax on another, feel penalised for working hard.

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:10 pm

scott_e wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 pm
feel penalised for working hard.
Do you mean “for being rich”?

The SNP are very clever politicians in the sense that they play to their audience brilliantly.
They say that the majority of people in Scotland are better off under their taxation system.
They fail to mention that the maximum benefit anyone can get is £20 a year.

They then play it as higher taxation for the rich which sits very well with those on lower incomes.
But the people it hurts the most are not rich, £50k a year does not make you rich, it makes you average among people who are well educated, or have worked hard.

I’ll be about £130 a month in my pocket worse off every single month. That’s a massive amount for someone on the sort of salary I’m on.
Not raising the threshold to the same as the rest of the UK is bad enough, not even raising it by inflation shows a total disregard for those who do ok for themselves.

The council tax is obviously a different kettle of fish and definitely does need some sort of reform.
The greens proposals would save me some money but I can’t help feeling charging by how many people live in the house is probably fairer than how much it’s worth. That didn’t go down well last time though did it....
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:25 am

1% is far too big swing to be deliverable. Council tax should be based on service consumption. Bigger houses should pay more of course but value has bugger all to do with that. Judging house value as ability to pay higher tax is errant.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am

Council tax is deeply unfair and random.

The only logical thing to do is to fund centrally, mandated funding per capita for services that are deemed to be in national interest (education is obvious one, there are others). Discretionary fund made available to council to spend on other services to fit in with local priorities.

The problem is that this requires more income tax for tax payers and the burden of that tax will fall on those who pay tax and not on those who don't.

Personally I don't mind, because I value the services provided and am lucky enough to be able to pay what is asked.

There will always be a few people for whom a change of system like that is going to be very hard. E.g. a house with multiple generations living under one roof, all income tax payers. They will pay maybe 2x under such a scheme.

In the end the tax burden is going to climb either way and the discussion ought to be how we distribute the burden. A secondary discussion is whether you believe in sharing the cost of service provision or whether you should only pay for what you receive. I believe in sharing the costs of across the widest group provided the services are in the wider public interest. But I can see that somebody living in a rural area with no kids, minimal refuse collection etc wonders why they are paying 3+k in council tax.
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:11 am

Stevoraith wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:10 pm
scott_e wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 pm
feel penalised for working hard.
That didn’t go down well last time though did it....
It wasn't the *most* popular tax...
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora