Garage Floors

Anything goes in here.....
Jeremy

Garage Floors

Post by Jeremy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am

Good morning,

We have recently built a garage and I'm currently faced with a plain concrete floor so I would like to put down some kind of paint or floor covering.

In the past I have used bog standard garage floor paint which looks fine when it goes down but tends to lift under where the car tyres are sitting. So currently exploring some more durable options and would be keen to hear what you good folks have used.

I see you get an epoxy based paint which is mixed then applied. Also interested about the floor covering which comes in a roll but the ones I've seen wouldn't go wall to wall so I'm concerned that the edges curve upwards and become a trip hazard.

Any better alternatives that I have overlooked ?

Regards,

Jeremy
Elise S1 Red Edition
Volvo S90 Momentum Edition
M140 Shadow Edition

renmure

Re: Garage Floors

Post by renmure » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Carpet squares!

I spent ages preparing the floor surface and using the proper garage floor paint when I put the garage up but, like you say, it's great for a couple of years then starts lifting or flaking and goes from looking great to looking shabby really quickly. I got enough heavy duty contact squares to do 2 garages for about £150 delivered on a pallet from eBay. If any get grubby or I spill anything then I can swap them round or just lay a new one. Wish I'd been a bit bolder with the colour choice but I may play around with it in summer.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:54 am

I am liking this idea. A lot!

Our floor is going much the same way as described so will put these on my wish list
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

jj

Post by jj » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:58 pm

I used the Dotti tiles from https://www.directtilewarehouse.com/dot ... oor-tiles/

Look great and have been ideal. I don't do much working on cars on them though so can't comment on that aspect, but plenty do.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:59 pm

The carpet tiles are a very nice idea but probably not practical enough for me as I do like to get oily from time to time and also do some woodworking in there.

I'm very interested in these Dotti tiles though, they look good and the cost seems reasonable. Have you ever had any issues with them lifting off the floor ? How would one stick these to a concrete floor, I assume it has to be sealed or some special kind of non standard tile adhesive used ?

Regards,

Jeremy
Elise S1 Red Edition
Volvo S90 Momentum Edition
M140 Shadow Edition

jj

Post by jj » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:26 pm

They have been down for about 18 months and I’ve had no problems. The tiler that did it does work for me through the business so I know they were stuck down properly as that’s the main variable. From memory I cleaned the concrete floor and brushed it out and then the tiles went straight down onto a full bed of adhesive, flexi outdoor stuff . My slab was in good nick though as was new.

I also got him to do a 1/3rd tile high skirting board roundthe whole thing which looks great and makes cleaning easier.

Lots of info from people (incl me) on that specific tile here

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1647544

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Plastic tiles,

www.duramat.co.uk

available in diff colours, black and yellow JPS, red and white Gold Leaf etc