New Breif (Non Lotus)

Anything goes in here.....
rawsco

New Breif (Non Lotus)

Post by rawsco » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 pm

So got the new toy yesterday... I must admit having only driven it in the wet and at 3/10ths on the test drive I was a bit apprehensive that it might be a little bit of a let down when giving it a seeing to. As you do, I'd been reading a lot about the car, spiky, no rear traction, terrible damping, awful ride etc etc.

Im pleased to report that none of that seems to be the case, the car is absolutely fantastic with everything turned up to 11, tyres warm and in MDM mode, you really can feel the locking diff working to dig in and help with the rotation exiting bends. Yes its heavy 1585kg with fluids I believe but it hides it well, the brakes are very strong, it surprised me how strong actually. I expect they will fade quickly unless decent pads fitted as the OEM pads are clearly noted as such in the manual, not for track use.

My only two complaints are that the throttle response to a light application can be a little inconsistent, i think its when the car is trying to keep boost up (I understand there is a form of anti lag at play when in sport+ throttle map). If you went from WOT to braking then light throttle you get a sh*t load of power but if you do the same but without coming off WOT and a lot of boost then it doesn't respond the same, its softer. Problem is easily resolved, stay higher up the revs or knock the throttle map back a bit with the engine mode. The second complaint is, and this should be obvious coming from a Lotus, is the steering feel. There is something there but its so damped and muted it might as well not be. That said the steering is ultra precise, the rack speed is perfect and there is NO understeer, you can just pile lock on entering a bend and it just won't let go on the front.

MDM is also very good allowing enough slip to keep it interesting but ready to reel it in if it gets too hairy, it allows enough slip for fast neat driving but not for full on drift hooning. Too scared to turn everything off just now, but I'm told thats how the the car really comes alive, and in MDM mode if feels like it would be utterly manageable....in the dry. I expect in the wet unless on wet orientated tyres it'll be a handful. 450hp through the rears at 285 width with CUP2 tyres and basically all the torque available from not a lot more than idle.

I was seriously worried I wasn't gonna get on with it but it passed the Dukes pass virgin spanking test with flying colours.

Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

C7Steve

Re: New Breif (Non Lotus)

Post by C7Steve » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm

:thumbsup

Steve.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Nice Beemer Ross
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

woody

Post by woody » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Do like that.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Very nice, wish you all the best with this one :cheers
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2019 Porsche 718 GT4
2018 VW Transporter T6 (bike shed :) )

BigD

Post by BigD » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:23 pm

What is it?

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:54 pm

218d

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:58 pm

mckeann wrote:218dx
Fixed that.
W213 All Terrain

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:25 am

Love the colour.

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:27 pm

Cracking car mate, agree one quality my M3 had was it was absolutely nailed to the road through the front axle.
You should be finished the handbook and tried all the settings by now :lol:
Any plans to use on track?

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Sanjøy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:58 pm
mckeann wrote:218dx
Fixed that.
Harsh guys :wink:
My dad has a 220 active x drive, “best performance car he’s ever had”
Metallic red, oyster seats and wood trim, bold choices when you are 79
Never raced or rallied but all the wheels are kerbed :lol:

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am

Clarkie wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:27 pm
Cracking car mate, agree one quality my M3 had was it was absolutely nailed to the road through the front axle.
You should be finished the handbook and tried all the settings by now :lol:
Any plans to use on track?
Thanks, Flung the handbook away man style... yes been fafffing with the electronic damper settings, comfort is a bit wallowy and under damped for B roads with a lot of crests and troughs and sport plus is too firmly damped to be on it on on the same with the car having too much support in compressions and being a bit twitchy. It does seem to be the low speed damping that changes as I don’t really notice any difference over bumps and poor surface. Sport is the middle ground and is pretty good for a B road, it’s no Lotus but it’s better controlled and less upset by bumps and crappy surface than I remember my 335i. Fast smooth A roads sport plus. Sport plus will be very good for track and I think is where the car will be at its best.

My right food is adapting to the throttle map in sport plus but I think I prefer it dialled back to sport or even *gaspshreik* efficient. Can just be so much more metered and smoother.

Steering I don’t notice any real difference between the settings other than being harder to turn so I leave that in comfort or sport.

Gears set at 2 and sometimes 3 for silliness. I expect 3 would probably send you sideways down the railway bend grabbing 4th given how hard it hammers the gear in with no ignition cut.

My biggest slowing me down factor is the perceived size on the road. Just feels huge compared to the v6 and S2.

It’ll be going on track for sure just need to find some cash for the insurance and some track focused pads and fluid. Miniblonde is demanding a new patio so funds are diverted :-( might try and aim for June SIDC
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:53 am

Aw feck it’s May... that’s too early.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 am

Significantly better than the earlier cars which were erratic at best !

Looks great
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:20 pm

love that colour
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?