Best hot hatch for £10k

Anything goes in here.....
Dominic

Re: Best hot hatch for £10k

Post by Dominic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I totally get the appeal of the UP GTi,... but can't help but think it's just a wee bit under powered... from what I have heard.

Best bet would be to line up some test drives, and see what tickles your fancy...
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:18 pm

That’s part of the appeal, you have to rev it out without being in danger of silly speeds.
Dominic wrote:I totally get the appeal of the UP GTi,... but can't help but think it's just a wee bit under powered... from what I have heard.

Best bet would be to line up some test drives, and see what tickles your fancy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Rosssco wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:07 am
campbell wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 pm
French is out.
You're missing out on the undisputed hot hatch king then - Megane RS250

Yep, I had the same opinion as you (never had French, let alone a hot hatch), but honestly, the hype and consistent magazine test wins are fully deserved.

Does all the hot hatch stuff easily - practical, 4 seats (rear leg room a bit tight for adults), large boot, economic (mine averages 40-ish mpg on 70-75mph motorway slogs), reliable (usual non-German levels of plastics, but the basic car and mechanicals are robust)

Great chassis (both full of grip and mobile - you can really use the throttle for some tail happy action. Cup pack important), very good traction (the magic of an LSD and fancy front suspension design), brakes, and steering etc. Probably more hard core than most of the other choices (one of those chassis that gets better the harder you push), but I use mine regularly incl. trip North - South and perfectly comfy.

I'd just say try one if you havent already (welcome to try mine of course)
Correct answer, French is in, French is chic!
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Have you thought of the Mazda 3 MPS
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... l_a_friend

However the switchgear may be a little bit too plasticky for you but it does have the perfect number plate for you "Go Daddy"

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:45 pm

You need to drive my car C.
W213 All Terrain

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 pm

If I'd gone down the V6 Exige route, plan was to get a £10k hot hatch too. Unfortunately Leven kept trying to sell me an Exige for many thousands more than other dealers were selling them and ended up going off the whole idea and into an M2.

With regards to the hot hatch though.... much as I would have wanted a Golf GTI/R, the ones at £10k were not for me.

It all kept coming back to the Fiesta ST.

£10k buys you a cracking ST-3 with all the toys and it'll only be around 3 years old and generally sub 30k miles. Loads seem to be the 1st owner trading in after their 3 year PCP type deal has finished. Almost new and unlikely to deliver any big maintenance scares or lose many thousands more in depreciation every year. Still half tempted to pretend I'm 17 again and go handbraking round a carpark in one.

campbell

Best hot hatch for £10k

Post by campbell » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 am

Sanjøy wrote:You need to drive my car C.
Happy to - thanks!

Is it £10k though ;-)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 am

VX Corsa?

Chavtastic and much cheapness. :lol:

Steve.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am

C7Steve wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 am
VX Corsa?

Chavtastic and much cheapness. :lol:

Steve.
In the same vein but less chav, and in my mind pleasing to the eye, especially if it’s wearing big wheels - Astra GTC
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

istoo

Post by istoo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:53 am

Not a hot hatch but... GT86 have just started to dip below 10k

Not blindingly fast but I love they they drive.

S2 111s

istoo

Post by istoo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

campbell wrote:
Mike Scib wrote:Golf gti is the obvious answer (best car in the world!) Image

After that, GT86, or Up gti is where my 10k would be going.

:-)

GT86 has comedy back seats. So no.

Hadn’t thought of Supermini...Up GTI not out the question. Although motorway manners presumably questionable.

Also why we didn’t get one... but did go m135i. Out of budget still but you would get a 130i. Worst had one.

S2 111s

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am

istoo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am
campbell wrote:
Mike Scib wrote:Golf gti is the obvious answer (best car in the world!) Image

After that, GT86, or Up gti is where my 10k would be going.

:-)

GT86 has comedy back seats. So no.

Hadn’t thought of Supermini...Up GTI not out the question. Although motorway manners presumably questionable.

Also why we didn’t get one... but did go m135i. Out of budget still but you would get a 130i. Worst had one.

Sanjøy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 am
M135i.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 7160120257
W213 All Terrain

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:43 am

Rosssco wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:43 pm
Alistair wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 am
Rosssco wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:07 am

You're missing out on the undisputed hot hatch king then - Megane RS250

Yep, I had the same opinion as you (never had French, let alone a hot hatch), but honestly, the hype and consistent magazine test wins are fully deserved.

Does all the hot hatch stuff easily - practical, 4 seats (rear leg room a bit tight for adults), large boot, economic (mine averages 40-ish mpg on 70-75mph motorway slogs), reliable (usual non-German levels of plastics, but the basic car and mechanicals are robust)

Great chassis (both full of grip and mobile - you can really use the throttle for some tail happy action. Cup pack important), very good traction (the magic of an LSD and fancy front suspension design), brakes, and steering etc. Probably more hard core than most of the other choices (one of those chassis that gets better the harder you push), but I use mine regularly incl. trip North - South and perfectly comfy.

I'd just say try one if you havent already (welcome to try mine of course)
I've always fancied one of these - as you say so many people raved about them. I got a little lost in the various models throughout the years though - is the RS250 the pick of the bunch?

There's quite a few for sale with the cup chassis (and some that look like they don't even realise they have it!)
The RS250 is just the first model. the subseqent RS265 and 275 are just newer / face-lifted versions. However, the chassis (save for special edition / optional Ohlins) brakes and drivetrain remained unchanged throughout, with just small incremental power increases (a £500 'remap' liberates them all to ~300bhp anyway, and the early RS250's made more than the factory outputs anyway, when tested).

The 'cup' pack is important as (like other Renaultsport products) they aren't just a few tweaks - different springs / dampers / ARB's and LSD are the changes (I never even considered a non-cup)

You do need to spend on suspension components to keep them tip top, but then its what makes it feel special (like a Lotus, I guess).

Thanks for the tips - a contender for when we need to replace the Mini - I need to see what all the hype is about!

This looks a lot of car for the money - only thing missing for me are the nice sports seats with leather interior - assume they were an option? - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 000&page=1

Anyway - Senior Ford has ruled it out - so not relevant for here any more I guess.....

..... he can have a shot of mine one day ;-)

istoo

Best hot hatch for £10k

Post by istoo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:23 am

Mike Scib wrote:That’s part of the appeal, you have to rev it out without being in danger of silly speeds.
Dominic wrote:I totally get the appeal of the UP GTi,... but can't help but think it's just a wee bit under powered... from what I have heard.

Not drive one yet, but i drove a pals fiat 100hp around half of the NC500 route, it’s a riot for all the same reasons as Mike says.

S2 111s

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 am

What about an i3?

You will easily win the traffic light starts. :lol:

It’s not so good at handbrake turns with the electric handbrake though. Fuel bills would be most welcome and the mp/charge should keep you happy.

Steve.