Six months on

Anything goes in here.....
tonyg

Six months on

Post by tonyg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 pm

So some people are looking for info - here we go.

Fed up with the seat on the Elise creaking (and seeing an Exige at 121K in Murray's/Leven) and having some funds available from a pension i went looking about.
Tried Aberdeen Porsche and they couldn't have been less interested if they had tried (i probably wasn't well enough dressed or turned up in the wrong car) - from what i've heard this isn't an unusual occurence.
I was thinking about trying an Alpine, but don't really like the looks.Couldn't find anywhere easy to try the mid-engined Alfa
Spotted a possible at Porsche Perth and went down with little hope of getting good service, but i couldn't have been more wrong.
Completely different experience from Aberdeen, staff were knowledgeable and enthusiastic (it may have helped that they had only been open for a few months).
Arranged a test drive for later, went down and went out with Hamish in a Cayman with all the toys and was quite impressed (it rode really well on 20 inch wheels and 35 section tyres although i hated the normal/sport/supersport modes on the auto box).Hamish soon figured out i wasn't that interested.
Went back and took out the car i was interested in - a Black Edition 997.2 - it's a run out edition apparently.
Different league handling wise, really felt solid, although compared to the Elise the front end does move around a lot.
They did try to sell me up to a C4s with PDK of approximately the same age (that's their job), but i stuck to a manual car (must be an age thing).
Had it for a while now (haven't even found out half of what the PCM music/phone etc system can do I suspect, but i don't care that much).
Goes well in any gear, i haven't had it flat out in any gear yet (probably time i did a trackday).
Car will understeer at even very low speeds if you're off the accelerator, but turns in beautifully at all speeds otherwise - i doubt i've even scratched the surface of the handling.
Managed to get it out of shape on a cold damp road once and it communicated and responded immediately.
Getting good at ignoring all the morons who want to race (why are they nearly always 4x4 drivers?)
Just a great car to be in.

ImageLady P by arg918, on Flickr
Now with half an engine

tonyg

Re: Six months on

Post by tonyg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:44 pm

While i remember - if anyone knows (or knows where i can find out) what tyre pressures i'd want to run the car on for trackdays it would be great thanks.
Now with half an engine

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Car looks very nice Tony. :thumbsup

Guess you may have to pop your head over on to a Porsche social media site to get any answers on the tyres pressures.

Quick google for you and they meet at The Lairhillock on the first Thursday of each month at 20:00. Good excuse to go for a run and meet some likeminded owners.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/regions-r ... land-north

Steve.

tenkfeet

Post by tenkfeet » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:24 pm

I went in to Perth Porsche and got a very warm reception, they could not of been more friendly despite just being in for a look round.
No lotus
Exige Sport 350 (Sold)
Elise Cup 250 (Air con and radio tubby spec) (Sold)
Evora S (sold)

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

tonyg wrote: Getting good at ignoring all the morons who want to race (why are they nearly always 4x4 drivers?)
Could be the spoiler Image
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:49 pm

campbell wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm
tonyg wrote: Getting good at ignoring all the morons who want to race (why are they nearly always 4x4 drivers?)
Could be the spoiler Image
Or maybe they think you are a pirate......

Arghhhh....
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am

Very nice Tony - you're by far not alone in commenting on the utterly shocking service and behaviour/attitude shown by OPC Aberdeen.

Ironically I'm led to believe Perth OPC is still part of the Vardy Group :blackeye

I've only been to the Perth one once, not long after they'd opened last year, after a fantastic run with some pals, and they sales chap was very friendly, he even showed a passing interest in the Cerb :lol:
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm

tenkfeet wrote:I went in to Perth Porsche and got a very warm reception, they could not of been more friendly despite just being in for a look round.
Agree, best on Scotland.
W213 All Terrain