Why does it not sell?

Anything goes in here.....
douglasgdmw

Why does it not sell?

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

Looking through the classified every so often for Lotus's and keep on seeing my old Evora for sale:
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 10/9903328

As Graeme had spec'd the car as MMC's demo, it had a more driver orientated focus being a 2+0 and CR box, which to us was absolutely perfect and a car we absolutely loved.

Anyway noticed this has been up for sale for a long, long time and is often priced around the cheapest Evora in the country.

Don't like the tacky thing they have done with the wheels, much prefer the original look:

Current car:

Old Car

So any ideas why no one would have purchased it?

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

ed

Re: Why does it not sell?

Post by ed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:04 am

6 previous and no +2 I would imagine.

Agreed on the wheels.

Advert isn't the best, people buying evoras want clutch and a/c compressor done and it doesn't mention either of these.

Evora market does seem a little quiet at the moment, I imagine its the same for most higher end cars.
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am

I like the black on black. If I was in the market for an Evora I’d be tempted. Agree with Ed that number of previous owners is a bit of a put off & +0 for some reason is a put off for many (never understand why given the +2 is marginal to use)
I think there are so many people looking for cars now that ‘rent’ them on PCP deals so that a big sticker price for what is an older car doesn’t draw buyers.
I also think Lotus is a bit invisible just now , no new cars no real market presence - they SOO need to have some new cars coming through to reinvigorate the brand and generate interest.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:07 pm

I like the wheels but when I go for an Evora would want +2 .
also agree with PCP comment above .

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm

How many miles did you do in it George?

How long did you own it

Why did you sell it?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:45 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:04 am
6 previous and no +2 I would imagine.
What he ^ said. IMO a Lotus needs a bright colour too. But great price clearly mitigates some of the issues.

In addition the market appears to have depressed in the last month, a number of Exige V6s appeared a record low prices.

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 am

WHen i was selling a lot of people were obsessed with having all the packs. The mileage won't help either, which makes no sense as it's not high.
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm

campbell wrote:How many miles did you do in it George?

How long did you own it

Why did you sell it?
Campbell, we got it as an ex MMC demo which Graeme spec'd for the driver focused Scottish market. I think we must have had about 4-5k miles on it we we put it.for sale, one of which was a 2.2k stint in Europe. Think we had it about 2.5 to 3 years.

We sold it through MMC as had the first of the Exige V6's on order, but as we wanted something a bit special on the paint job Lotus kept pushing our order back so eventually we were so peed off we whipped the deposit and then bought the Spyder the a couple of weeks after.

Think the majority of the miles would have been done by the subsequent owner to ourselves as he used it as his company car. His Europa trade in came into MMC with mega miles for the car (80k I think) and in a very sorry state. Did joke with Brandon that I cannot believe he sold our car to an owner who was not as meticulous as ourselves.

George

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Lol

Ah well. Damage is done then!

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:46 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm
Think the majority of the miles would have been done by the subsequent owner to ourselves as he used it as his company car. His Europa trade in came into MMC with mega miles for the car (80k I think) and in a very sorry state. Did joke with Brandon that I cannot believe he sold our car to an owner who was not as meticulous as ourselves.
Sounds a wee bit like you might be answering your own question? :lol:
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

DJ

Post by DJ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:04 pm

I agree the lower end prices seem to have taken a hit the last couple of months. Which is frustrating as I toy with putting my own up for sale. Just fancy a change as never held onto a car this long (>3 years) but only thing delaying me is what to get instead.

The number of owners wouldn't bother me. I agree it is the 2+0 option which is less appealing. Also, a lot of the lower end priced cars seem to be black, dark red or that funny aqua marine colour. Black looks great but I would think twice about owning a black car again given they are a nightmare to keep clean and show every mark. Agree with the PCP comment, although must be same for all higher priced cars, including many others much more expensive than our plastic tubs.
I remember Campbell's blue Evora was a beauty but also took a while to move. They just generally seem to be slower to move on.

j2 lot wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am
I also think Lotus is a bit invisible just now , no new cars no real market presence - they SOO need to have some new cars coming through to reinvigorate the brand and generate interest.
Maybe they could do something like bring out a completely new hypercar, all electric, make it the most powerful and lightest production road car in the word. Maybe that would generate some interest? :lol: :P
'03 Elise 111S - Sold :(
'55 Boxster S - Sold :(
'08 Exige S 240PP - Sold :(
'10 Evora NA - Sold :(
'12 Cayman R :)

chrisdb

Post by chrisdb » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm keeping a track of the early Evora market as I quite fancy one as a daily. The 2+0 is the biggest sticking point for me, having a couple of (tiny) back seats would be essential for me and I assume many family buyers.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 pm

chrisdb wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:24 pm
I'm keeping a track of the early Evora market as I quite fancy one as a daily. The 2+0 is the biggest sticking point for me, having a couple of (tiny) back seats would be essential for me and I assume many family buyers.
If you have kids then I see sense in the 2+2 (for very short trips), however the 2+0 combo was great for us as it meant you could throw a couple of weekend bags in the back no problems and no concerns with them damaging any seats due to the fixed shelf.

We went from Edinburgh down to Mugello in Italy in the 2+0 and did not have any issues with fitting luggage in. We even chose black North Face soft holdalls for our trip as you could not seen them easily in the car which was a bonus (so not mega issues when parking up in various locations).

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:15 pm

DJ wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:04 pm
j2 lot wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am
Maybe they could do something like bring out a completely new hypercar, all electric, make it the most powerful and lightest production road car in the word. Maybe that would generate some interest? :lol: :P
You would think, but it simply wasn’t enough here was a brief press flurry, that needed to be followed up with new models that don’t need Euro-millions winning tickets to afford . :roll:
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

campbell

Post by campbell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:43 pm

DJ wrote: I remember Campbell's blue Evora was a beauty but also took a while to move. They just generally seem to be slower to move on.
I shoulda bloody kept that.

Albeit now it would have 60k miles on it and have cost me a clutch and a couple of large services. Plus some brakes and some air con bits at scary prices?!

Ah the benefit of hindsight.

And yes that colour. Magic times...