Still not done Stelvio

Anything goes in here.....
Shug

Re: Still not done Stelvio

Post by Shug » Thu May 14, 2020 10:54 am

The thing about Stelvio being a destination for Elises was more about it being a torture test for the brakes on the way down in the original development of the car, rather than it being a belting driving road, no?

Certainly, the only reasons I'd consider it would be as a destination to a continental tour and to get the photo at the car park, rather than the target being to drive the road itself...
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 pm

I guess there is an element of box ticking, but I think it's about the whole experience, not just driving the road, I mean, some of the passes must be good to drive, right, so a route could be put together that has other rewarding roads that lead there...

I've often wondered about the climate too. I am a typical white Scot, in that I sweat a bucket load as soon as the sun is out and it crosses about 26, and if I'm out for a prolonged period, say, 20 minutes, I look like a lobster.

I'd like to do it in the Maserati, heading towards the various car related museums etc. in northern Italy, but I suspect the fuel bill for that one would be rather off putting in comparison.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Shug wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:54 am
The thing about Stelvio being a destination for Elises was more about it being a torture test for the brakes on the way down in the original development of the car, rather than it being a belting driving road, no?

Certainly, the only reasons I'd consider it would be as a destination to a continental tour and to get the photo at the car park, rather than the target being to drive the road itself...
I was thinking along the lines of it being one of many waypoints taking in as many awesome driving roads as possible.
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 pm

We've had a few good runs up/down Stelvio, but if the traffic is out it sucks. Good sight seeing though, if you have time to look out the passenger window :-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut