Covid-19 Lockdown

Anything goes in here.....
C7Steve

Re: Covid-19 Lockdown

Post by C7Steve » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:53 pm

bertieduff wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:32 am
Howdy folks,

Not been on here for a while: hope you are all well! Hoping to use the coming weeks to finally get round to editing some of the footage I have of past trips and trackdays. Some of it has only taken 10 years or so to get around too... :roll: :D

Regards,

Bert
Hello Bert,

Hope that you and Lee are keeping well. :cheers

Steve & Kathy.

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:56 pm

bertieduff wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:32 am
Howdy folks,

Not been on here for a while: hope you are all well! Hoping to use the coming weeks to finally get round to editing some of the footage I have of past trips and trackdays. Some of it has only taken 10 years or so to get around too... :roll: :D

Regards,

Bert
Hi,

Can't wait for the trip down memory lane, I probably had my S2 at that time. Hope yourself and Lee doing well.

Stay safe

Graham

duggiesmith

Post by duggiesmith » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Did have to cancel the Porsche service/MOT due to Covid-19 but not exactly a hardship. Only did 13 miles in it last year so not as if it was being used much. Unfortunately I can't use it anyway if I wanted to as the MOT expired in Feb so will not be exempt.
13 miles :shock: Was that to the last MOT garage and back.
Must try harder.

Working from home for me. Nae kids and nae other half so it's pretty much self-isolation :(
On the plus side, the garden's looking pretty good :lol:
Duggie

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't.

Aubergine Elise S

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:21 am

duggiesmith wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm
13 miles :shock: Was that to the last MOT garage and back.
Must try harder.
Yep, drive to CMC, get MOT done and back into the garage :oops:

Did contemplate putting the Spyder up for sale earlier in the year as it was not getting used and then swapping for an Aston Martin Vantage 430. Thoughts being that we may use a coupe more than a convertible. However the prices we got for trade in were comical (even before the crisis) and then Edinburgh Aston went down the tubes. So have canned the idea and decided to keep the Spyder.

However we decided to put the Defender up for sale (not advertised anywhere except S.E at present) and getting a classic Landy instead.

So man maths means that is becomes 4 car in the household if we get the Defender sold after the crisis. So stable would become:
- Golf GTi PP
- "Sensible" dog car
- Classic landy S3 (rag top preferable)
- Porsche Spyder

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Have you tried an S3 Landie George? I have had 2 and they are far inferior to a Defender to use as a road vehicle. Depending on engine, wheels and gearing you will struggle to do more than 60mph and that drops to 40 going uphill.
I keep thinking I would like another but then drive one and change my mind.
A Defender is superior in every aspect, bar character
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:17 am

j2 lot wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm
Have you tried an S3 Landie George? I have had 2 and they are far inferior to a Defender to use as a road vehicle. Depending on engine, wheels and gearing you will struggle to do more than 60mph and that drops to 40 going uphill.
I keep thinking I would like another but then drive one and change my mind.
A Defender is superior in every aspect, bar character
Not tried a S3 yet. The intention is for a "weekend" landie so will not be used for any long distance work and just trips to the local reservoirs with the dogs or into Edinburgh.

We had a 300tdi prior to getting the much more refined Puma version, so do realise that the S3 will be a even less refined than that.

The original intention prior to this lockdown was to go to somewhere like John Brown in Thirsk to get an idea of what they are like. However with Covid-19 this has not been possible.

The S3 would definitely have to be Petrol and ideally with Overdrive, freewheeling hubs would be a bonus.

Also looking for a good restored one as well. Although the costs is much more, the intention is not to have it in the garage being worked on all the time - I have very little mechanical knowledge myself so don't want to be learning with a Haynes manual over the weekends/evenings either.

However happy to get any advice from your experience :)

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am

The main advise would be drive it before you buy it - they all drive differently. Both the ones I had were 2.2 petrol. The first was a W plate and drove superbly it had bucket seats (from an Alfa) and a small steering wheel but wouldn’t reach 50 on a flat road. I was using it as a winter hack to save the Elise so any use in normal traffic was painful. It was traded it for a ‘B’ plate. That was quicker- I think down to freewheeling hubs but the steering was no where near as direct and it had to be constantly corrected as It wandered about a lot. Both leaked massively and all efforts to resolve were in vain. Having said that with knobbly tyres they were unstoppable and both started well even after being left for months at a time. They both leaked fluids at various rates and places but still functioned without any major maintenance but required constant tinkering, parts were ridiculously cheap but rust is an ever present worry unless you go for a re- chassised one.
I would reiterate- don’t buy unless you drive it first as they’re all different!
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, especially the fact that they all drive differently.

Intention would be to go for one with a galvanised chassis as I don't want to spend an additional £3k+ getting a new chassis/labour on top.

Hence the intention for going for one that has been recently recommissioned. However know it would need inspected thoroughly as I am sure many restorers may be tempted to cut corners for a fast buck, especially in this climate.
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Looking forward to my drive to Aberdeen tonight. As a category 2 critical worker I am able to go out to work. And if that involves driving 100 miles in the Elise with the roof down to get to my hotel so be it...

I have a letter from my company to show to the police confirming my status if I get stopped.

I have been out for shopping a few times in it but not had any chance to de rust the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

duggiesmith

Post by duggiesmith » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Lucky you. Mine hasn't been off the driveway for over a week. ☹️
Duggie

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't.

Aubergine Elise S

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Hard at work here, not much has changed, except outside is the place I see through a window, and my office is where I usually eat Xmas dinner.

I'm not sure if I remember how to drive at this point, and we're only 2 weeks in!
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

duggiesmith

Post by duggiesmith » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Does taking the Elise out for a spin to keep the battery topped up count as essential travel?
Surely better to do that than having to call out a breakdown vehicle who should be concentrating on keeping our essential workers on the road.
Just curious on other people's thoughts.
Duggie

Aubergine Elise S

Rosssco

Post by Rosssco » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:00 pm

duggiesmith wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:36 pm
Does taking the Elise out for a spin to keep the battery topped up count as essential travel?
Surely better to do that than having to call out a breakdown vehicle who should be concentrating on keeping our essential workers on the road.
Just curious on other people's thoughts.
Its 'technically' not allowed since we suddenly morphed into a de-facto police state where your natural position should be at home saving lives by sitting on your RRR's and watching the telly. Also the media-induced feeding frenzy will call you a granny killer and the digital curtain twitchers will demand your incarceration!

So please ensure your excuse for being out if demanded by the Polis relates to some food shop.. :mrgreen:
VX220 SC
M135i
Parajet V3 Moster 185

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Victor Meldrew wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 pm
Looking forward to my drive to Aberdeen tonight. As a category 2 critical worker I am able to go out to work. And if that involves driving 100 miles in the Elise with the roof down to get to my hotel so be it...

I have a letter from my company to show to the police confirming my status if I get stopped.

I have been out for shopping a few times in it but not had any chance to de rust the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So last nights drive was weird. Empty roads showed how surprisingly hard it is to judge speed when you have no other cars to use as a reference. I Was trundling along merrily thinking I was doing just under 70. Turns out I was doing 55. Didn’t feel slow.

Flight was cancelled so drove back home this morning. Will be heading back up to Aberdeen again later tonight.

Lotus lockdown mileage will be approximately 320.

Anyone else manage to get lockdown miles in?
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Duggie, drive to your nearest Waitrose. Spar are on every corner but most people will need a few miles to Waitrose. Calimansi juice is essential in my wifes opinion .