New garage door - any supplier recommendations?

Anything goes in here.....
Simon82

Re: New garage door - any supplier recommendations?

Post by Simon82 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 am

Eric K wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 pm
I had mine replaced a few years ago. This was due to an unfortunate incident when I hooked the old one on the tow bar of a Discovery, drove forward and pulled it off the wall.

The new one works ok but here are two aspects which get my goat. These might help you in selecting a product and / or fitter.

The receiver for the remote signal is a separate box and it's not powered from the mains supply that goes to the motor. I've asked the fitter why this is and he tells me a story about security standards and the motor / receiver having to be independent. I don't get it though. Worse still the remote receiver box needs batteries … and not AAs or AAAs … really expensive batteries that aren't any good for anything else. Bonkers.

Second thing - where the remote signal receiver is on mine is fine when I'm inside … but doesn't receive very well when I'm outside. Sounds obvious but I assumed the fitter would have thought about stuff like this - sadly not. So, when it's pishing rain, I have to go right up close to the roller door, wind the window down and point the doofer from outside the car. This results in a wet right arm. Sounds trivial but it's really irritating when you've paid £££s to have this thing installed.

Hopefully these two observations will be useful to you. Good luck. :)
Can I ask what system you have Eric? Mine are all mains powered and integrated into the one unit. Haven’t heard of those “security standards” before :?
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2019 Porsche 718 GT4
2018 VW Transporter T6 (bike shed :) )

Eric K

Post by Eric K » Wed May 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Simon82 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 am
Can I ask what system you have Eric? Mine are all mains powered and integrated into the one unit. Haven’t heard of those “security standards” before :?
It's a Secueroglide.

I've just had a look and I was talking rubbish. The box I speak of is the "bottom slat transmitter" it seems its purpose is to tell the controller to cut the motor when the roller hits a hard stop … like the ground … or a bonnet. I'm still not clear on why it needs to be independent but maybe it's a pain to run a conductor through the slats.

When its (special and expensive) batteries run out, the whole thing is disabled. This only happens when you're late for something and in a hurry. :)
Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow ...

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:49 pm

In the last house we had a roller door put in. It was fitted by a small company in Livingston I think called BigFish garage doors. The guy was straight up, helpful, on time and spent effort on the fit and finish. I was thinking about getting the same type of door on the new house. 👍🏼