Hot Tub

Anything goes in here.....
rawsco

Hot Tub

Post by rawsco » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Anyone put one in? Care to share your experience? We’re in the process of lining up the landscaper to put the base in and extend the patio. Just looking to try and decide which hot tub to go for and interested in anyone’s experience. Running costs are a top priority along with reliability so don’t mind forking out a bit more if it’s gonna save me 30quid a month running costs over the ownership period. 5 or 6 person unit seems like the best size for us.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

renmure

Re: Hot Tub

Post by renmure » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:06 am

Oh, I'll confess..

We have one. Had it since Dec 2005. It's a Hotsprings Envoy (https://www.hotspring.co.uk/hot-tubs/hi ... tubs-envoy) and we got it through the Hotsprings franchise in Sterling Furniture place in Tillicoutrie. It was about £9k back then and I've just looked and the same tub is listed at about £20k now (although I guess there will be wiggle room) They actually have the same model in the store as a demo.

This place is owned by a friend from school and has a huge range ( https://thegrizzlybearhottubcompany.co.uk/ )

I half expected it to be a white elephant but we use it 3-4 times per week, always in the evening, more often in winter and it runs 24/7 and we wouldn't be without one now.

We spent a lot of time researching the running costs at the time and the Hotsprings ones were a level above all the others in terms of quality and cheaper running costs. We've had an engineer out once in 15 years and other than filter changes it's been fairly painless. On the flip side a near neighbour bought a cheaper brand after seeing ours and they went through 2 tubs in less than 10 years before deciding they could live without one. I imagine there's a middle ground somewhere. I'm not really sure of the running costs in £/week because ours is never off but they do vary enormously.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the details of types of jets and and programs ect because the realty is once the novelty wears off you tend to have the jets on the lowest setting if at all.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:21 am

We have had one since 2014. I never understood the appeal but now totally hooked. Normally quoted that they cost about about a £1 a day to run and seems to be fairly accurate. We have ours on 365 and I would expect to do water checks and adjustment 2-3 times a week ( only takes 5 mins).
I wouldn’t go back to where we got ours from as there were loads of initial issues. We eventually found Hot Tub Solutions in Loanhead and would recommend you speak to them - Matt on 0131 629 0063
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Cheers Lads, we’ve actually narrowed it down to a tub stocked by GrizzlyBear they seem to get decent recommendations on the Facebook group I joined and the tubs are US made and CEC energy rated so so running costs should be good. Good to know there a personal recommendation in there. Got the landscaper booked now just waiting on a date then we’ll get the tub ordered up hopefully get it all in Within a month or 2.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

renmure

Post by renmure » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Dave on SE bought a Hotsprings one just after we did al those years ago and he has just replaced it with one from GrizzlyBear. He's gone for the model that I would get if I was replacing mine in the future. He's looked a bit more into the running costs because his goes off when he's offshore for 3 weeks and has a better record of electricity consumption with his smart meter. I'll give him a prod to throw some input on running costs and purchase price. I've bought a few things from them over the years including an outdoor sauna and they've always been fine to haggle with :)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:14 pm

As Jim said we purchased ours off GrizzlyBear about six months ago after our previous one finally gave in after about 15 years,with regard to GrizzlyBear the whole purchasing experience was plesant, if you go to the showroom you'll find there's no pressure or hard sell, a bit like the Lotus these things sell themselves, whilst there I think they sold two or three in the space of an hour.
Don't know if it's good or bad but we've found that most of our evenings now revolve around the hot tub, we probably use it six times a week when I'm home so you can see we use ours a lot. Running cost through this winter has been about £60 a month or about £2 a day, we did go for a large tub mind so this will be more expensive to run than some of the others. Ours is the Signature XL, I don't see it on their site now but this could be down to supply issues with everything that's going on. The only other thing worth noting is that we purchased the shop display model and saved about £1K, when it came its was basically brand new as it had only been sat empty in the showroom for a couple of months, think we did talk about a discount on a new tub and managed to get about £300 off if we wanted one of those.
I'll reiterate what Jim says about the jets, I wouldn't necessarily get to hooked on having as many as possible as most of the time we have ours running on the circulation pump which just provides gentle water movement. If you've got any specific questions ask away I'm sure between us we can probably answer them.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sun May 03, 2020 6:52 pm

Contact @gambler Scott Robson - hes installing these
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Well I was going to be smug and say what you need is a £400 Lay Z Spa don’t spend thousands out for it’s 3rd summer to find an air leak, supplied patches will sort it, nope, super duper vinyl repair glue from Amazon, sorted Water in, take dog for walk in meantime, sorted, nope water leak, stripped down to find a split washer, luckily spare in stock. Don’t think it will last 4 years but hey it’s been good value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk