Advice - post car sale

Anything goes in here.....
IanD

Advice - post car sale

Post by IanD » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Anyone got any experience ?

Bought used Golf from a main BMW dealer a few weeks ago.
Dealer is many miles from my home
Advert stated and assured in writing VW manufacturers warranty still applicable for 2 years.
It was checked over pre-sale by VW dealer, BMW dealer did this and highlighted gasket leak in gearbox which would be fixed under warranty but sale would need to be delayed by over a week to book car in
Timing meant I agreed to collect the car and take to a local VW dealer at later date
Part of payment was credit card.

Took car today to VW dealer and told VW warranty is void due to engine chipped.

Waiting BMW dealer getting back to me to discuss.

Believe my options are
1. Reject car, less than 30 days since sale, car not as described, I get my original money back
2. Agree a deal that works for both of us

Anyone had this, am I right or any better options to consider ?
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

C7Steve

Re: Advice - post car sale

Post by C7Steve » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 am

Ian,

Sorry to hear about this and good luck in getting it resolved.

Steve.

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 am

Not had this but I would be tempted to reject the car as not as described.

The VW warranty is pretty cheap (we were £330ish to renew on the Golf GTi) so its worth it for the small outlay and additional piece of mind.

Best of luck getting it resolved

George

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

IanD

Post by IanD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 am

Would that be available by paying ?

Don’t think so since I should still have 18 months of the original 3 years VW manufacturer warranty but not got that now.

In theory you could challenge some potential future faults as not affected by mods but all becomes messy and difficult
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

I would probably be looking to reject the car. Thing with golfs is that there are plenty out there, so probably easier to have one without issues.
Having said that, were you aware that the car had been chipped? - and moreover, was the dealer you bought from aware that it had been chipped? If they were unaware, then I guess it's still their responsibility to know what they were selling, but they might play hard ball on that.

On the subject of extended warranty - sounds like a worthy purchase; but would VW offer that on a chipped car??
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

IanD

Post by IanD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 pm

I was not aware nor was the BMW dealer I bought it from, nor I presume was the VW dealer who did a pre-sales check on it, highlighting the gearbox leak and was willing to do the work the week after under warranty :shock:

Pity as after 2 crap pre-sales experiences with VM main dealers, i started searching wider and these guys impressed me with their service, one of 18 Alpina concessions in UK. I was originally intending buying only from a VW dealer. Looks like i'll see now how good their service is.

Will be able to find another one, just will take time and effort and probably will spend more money/compromise on spec, more cars close to desired spec the newer i go, car seems to be a limited option colour though. Had a search last night and nothing near close on VM network, at moment ironically closest one to what I want is for sale via the same dealer network and its older/higher mileage/cheaper.

Both May and daughter needs cars for work at moment so meantime May would have Porsche as her daily driver until we find something so pressure would be on me for its replacement.

She drove Porsche yesterday a bit and lets just say she isn't in love with the heavy low speed steering, really heavy clutch, handbrake on right hand side, vague gear change, road noise and suspension harshness..........
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:48 pm

Buy a wee puddle jumper for her while you sort things out?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 pm

I'll give you 1.5k fo the Porsche.

Win win.

(PS reject the car. It's just a car.)
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:22 pm

1 and it’s non negotiable they sold it with a manufacturers warranty and it’s not got one. Get shot of it. Anything used to sell the car that turns out wrong and would likely have resulted in you not buying the car on the terms you did is grounds. Even without the fault

Also a (Assuming used car) warranty does not cover pre existing issues known about. Warranties are for post sale new issues. garages deferring pre existing issues to warranty is a form of fraud. It’s the sellers responsibility to resolve at their cost not the warranty.

things get a lot harder after 30 days. See my thread about burst clutch.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

IanD

Post by IanD » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Based on progress and even though dealer is looking to resolve this i’m sending my notice of rejection based on not as described and having no manufacturers warranty.

There may be trouble ahead..

Any advice appreciated for next stage here or via PM.
Guess it’s whether they accept or contest it
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 pm

Have a look on Resolver.com It is the Matin Lewis companion site which allows you to raise complaints and has a number of templates.

Advantage is that it records all correspondence and provides the response times as to when you can escalate etc.

Used it a number of times with warranty claims and been successful for me.

Certainly worth looking at to see if it helps you?

George

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

Simon82

Post by Simon82 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:16 am

IanD wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:20 pm
Based on progress and even though dealer is looking to resolve this i’m sending my notice of rejection based on not as described and having no manufacturers warranty.

Should be no trouble ahead if you reject within the 30 day period, it’s black and white.
Other option would be for them to provide you a loan car while they rectify all issues with vehicle and return it to a standard that would qualify it for the VW warranty they stated it came with at point of purchase (unlikely they could do that though given it was mapped and not a bolt on such as exhaust etc but you never know, worth exploring if it’s the car you really want)
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2019 Porsche 718 GT4
2018 VW Transporter T6 (bike shed :) )

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:54 am

Simon82 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:16 am
IanD wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Should be no trouble ahead if you reject within the 30 day period, it’s black and white.
Other option would be for them to provide you a loan car while they rectify all issues with vehicle and return it to a standard that would qualify it for the VW warranty they stated it came with at point of purchase (unlikely they could do that though given it was mapped and not a bolt on such as exhaust etc but you never know, worth exploring if it’s the car you really want)
There are loads of golfs - I wouldn't mess around with giving them the option to "return to standard" - they can do that, if they wish, and then sell to someone else, or they can sell without advertising the warranty (to someone else).
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

IanD

Post by IanD » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Agree back to standard still doesn’t give me what I though I was getting.

Discussion ongoing.
campbell wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:48 pm
Buy a wee puddle jumper for her while you sort things out?
Hmm Mays temporary replacement daily driver ?
Think price is a bit steep for a club racer (even for a unique S2 elise CR)

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing ... d=10714398. :D
IanD wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 pm
She drove Porsche yesterday a bit and lets just say she isn't in love with the heavy low speed steering, really heavy clutch, handbrake on right hand side, vague gear change, road noise and suspension harshness..........
At least handbrake is in the middle, not sure many of the other points are any better. Seem to remember someone else recently had a Porsché and Lotus so it must be ok surely
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:01 am

Love the colour of that elise! But if you want one of those then my black elise 220 is for sale and probably a bit cheaper ;-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut