Cycling

Anything goes in here.....
s29ttc

Cycling

Post by s29ttc » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:29 pm

I know years ago cycling was pastime enjoyed by many on the forum, I had lots of help buying my roadbike and I used it for a bit then it started gathering dust in the garage.

With the lockdown earlier in the year and closure of gyms I dug mine out as means of exercise and really enjoying it.

It’s ended up being costly, firstly picking up bits and bobs of clothing, then new tyres, then new cleats for shoes and then convincing myself that I should get a new bike. I have to say though really getting into it and look forward to dry weather at weekend for some long rides.

Do you still cycle or even has lockdown prompted a new found love for cycling? I’ve heard from many of the suppliers that they have seen unprecedented demand and I have noticed there seems to be a lot more bikes out and about.

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

robin
Jedi Master

Re: Cycling

Post by robin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 pm

I haven't started cycling but have started running. I am totally fcuk :-) It's cheap though - £50 for a pair of shorts and some rubbish running shoes. I had ordered a commuting bike for when we finally return to our office - not sure how much it will get used now though - we've decided to close our office and move to new premises - turns out these are 5 mins walk from my house :-)

If I am still running by the time my 55th comes around I'll treat myself to some more reasonable running shoes (those ones will be shagged by then - I weigh on the heavy side of 17st!).

Katie bought a new bike (which has electric booster so nice easy ride around town) so maybe we'll saunter off to the pub on the bikes once mine arrives :-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

renmure

Post by renmure » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 pm

I don't cycle and never enjoyed it.
However I was in the big Halfords in Dundee today to get a bulb and they had a big sign on the front door saying they didn't have any stock of bikes to sell at the moment till the next weekly delivery. Somebody must like it.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 pm

We have had regular bike repair workshops taking place each Saturday in the Town-mill and they’ve had to shut the doors after an hour or so to make sure they could deal with everyone that turned up before the end of the day. Not sure if they’ll all remain is use but clearly people have good intentions
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am

Can someone get in touch with Robin please? I think his account has been hacked.

I would never have put you down as a runner. Did you run at all before or what's prompted you to take it up? I find running is great and addictive when you get into it and make it a habit. It's when you take a break it just feels so difficult to pick up again.

I really enjoy cycling but I'm just not getting much time just now. A 1 year old and Pauline back to work part-time means my time is limited. Working at home as well so I can't use the commute either. I've seen so many people out on bikes recently - it's got to be a good thing. There are obviously loads of people who've had their bike tucked away for a while. Sales of new and second-hand bikes have been rocketing. I've ordered a kids bike trailer but that's on back order as well. Hope to have it by the end of the month.

I even used the Just Eat bikes when my car was in with Craig last week. Really enjoyed scooting around Edinburgh's cycle paths. The 29 degree sunny day probably helped.

Don't forget to join the SE Strava group - https://www.strava.com/clubs/ScottishElisesStrava
Exige GT

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:07 am

hendeg wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am
Can someone get in touch with Robin please? I think his account has been hacked.
Arf.
hendeg wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am
I would never have put you down as a runner. Did you run at all before or what's prompted you to take it up? I find running is great and addictive when you get into it and make it a habit. It's when you take a break it just feels so difficult to pick up again.
I've not done any physical exercise beyond walking since I was 18 (37 years ago!) :-) I have never been a runner and if you saw me run, you would agree I am still not a runner :-) I do sort of enjoy it though - we'll see if that lasts - right now it is easy to improve (because I started from a low point) - as it gets harder to improve it might also get harder to remain motivated - time will tell.

Cheers,
Robin
#bemoretut

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:06 pm

Yes,I’ll admit to being a MAMIL, didn’t really have enough time to cycle regularly, but still enjoyed it and usually completed a couple of sportives and at least one audax each year over the last 3-4 years (100Km). Last year did Ride to the Sun, a 100 mile overnight from Carlisle to Crammond.

Unfortunately this year, all these sort of events have been cancelled, but with no Motorsport, I’ve had lots of time so have managed lots of short’ish rides. Some weeks I’ve been managing to total a 100 miles or so. As a result I’ve lost about 8-9Kg and my hill climbing and av. speed has improved.

I like the engineering side of things and have assembled a couple of frame sets for myself and learned to build wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)

mxvx

Post by mxvx » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Relative newbie cyclist here and ditched running for more cycling more and more of the last few months (so much so that I exceeded my 2018 record when I 'took up cycling'). So much so that this week will be the first time I have exceeded 200 miles in a week and mostly backroads with a reasonable amount of climbing. I have finally booked myself in for a proper bike fit with Tim at http://www.velocitacoaching.com - something I am massively kicking myself at for not doing much sooner given how many times I have been out.

I have also fitted gravel tyes to my old boardman commuter bike for railway lines/trails but really need suspension for some part of Local forest I go to (Counteswells/Hill of fare).

I am going to borrow a friends turbo trainer (and join zwift) which he doesn't need for a few weeks over winter to see if I get use of it so I keep some of the biking fitness I have worked for throughout next summer. But I can see myself switching back to more running over winter as I generally run better then too with the cool air.

Stewart

fd

Post by fd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 am

robin wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 pm
I haven't started cycling but have started running.
Cool ;-) . . . me too . . . on the running front, been MTB biking and breaking bones for many years . . .
robin wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 pm
I am totally fcuk :-)
No idea what that means . . .

Anyway, Also enjoying running and it's become part of my working from home routine, which I don't see changing, period. I enjoy the mindless simplicity of it . . . you don't really need a brain to run . . . 2 paces, breathe in, 2 paces breathe out, check for broken muscles and ligaments, repeat . . .

5k 3 or 4 times a week with some lovely singletrack MTB up in the hills on the days I don't run . . . or vice versa, depends on the weather and the mood . . .

I set myself a target of 30 mins for 5K and achieved that on the third full 5K run I did, more to come in time . . . not far behind you on the age either ;-)

Onwards ;-)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:25 am

I think my first 5k will be end of next week. Doubt I will do it in 30 mins though 😁. But for me it's not a race, just like to improve a little each time I go out, which is every day at the moment.

Like you working from home is a way of life now. I checked my step count one day and it was 300! I used to do 6000 just walking to work and back. That and the fact that my beer gut hid the lap belt in the car was the kick up the arse I needed.

It's great to see people taking to the outdoors to get fit and have fun. If my rapid weight gain (close to 18st at the limit) was anything to go the covid health hangover is going to be a big one.
#bemoretut

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am

mxvx wrote: <snip>
I am going to borrow a friends turbo trainer (and join zwift) which he doesn't need for a few weeks over winter to see if I get use of it so I keep some of the biking fitness I have worked for throughout next summer. But I can see myself switching back to more running over winter as I generally run better then too with the cool air.

Stewart
It might be worth looking at RGT as an alternative to Zwift. It doesn’t have the same sort of community as Zwift, but it is free. I use Trainer Road

Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:13 am

robin wrote: It's great to see people taking to the outdoors to get fit and have fun. If my rapid weight gain (close to 18st at the limit) was anything to go the covid health hangover is going to be a big one.
I also think that it’s really obvious that obesity is a significant morbidity factor if you do get Coronavirus. We need to improve our chances of shaking this virus off if we do get it.
There’s loads of other benefits too. Aside from the difficulties of getting in/out of cars like the Elise, Colin Chapman’s ethos should be considered Image

Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Yeah I've probably improved my laptime at oulton park by a tenth 😁
#bemoretut

mxvx

Post by mxvx » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Scottish Scrutineer wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am
mxvx wrote: <snip>

Stewart
It might be worth looking at RGT as an alternative to Zwift. It doesn’t have the same sort of community as Zwift, but it is free. I use Trainer Road

Thanks, will check it out :thumbsup

fd

Post by fd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 pm

robin wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:25 am
I think my first 5k will be end of next week. Doubt I will do it in 30 mins though 😁. But for me it's not a race, just like to improve a little each time I go out, which is every day at the moment.

Like you working from home is a way of life now. I checked my step count one day and it was 300! I used to do 6000 just walking to work and back. That and the fact that my beer gut hid the lap belt in the car was the kick up the arse I needed.

It's great to see people taking to the outdoors to get fit and have fun. If my rapid weight gain (close to 18st at the limit) was anything to go the covid health hangover is going to be a big one.
Absolutely, whatever floats your boat . . . I enjoy exercising just shy of passing out . . . ;-)

Ive lost 8Kg since the start of lockdown . . . and continuing . . . working in an office with all that that entails is simply not healthy or anybody I think . . . ;-)

Good luck dude . . . enjoy . . . I know the feeling ;-)

Fd