Cycling

Anything goes in here.....
Kinger

Re: Cycling

Post by Kinger » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi Robin,

I started running at 60, really enjoyed it but got a bit obsessed with times which in the end I think ended my running. It started targeting 1hr for 10k then it was 55mins, then 50 mins etc. I went up to Inverness as it is a steep up hill start then downhill all the way home. After about 8k most of it downhill my knees were sh*t, since then my knees have been goosed. I now much prefer a short spell out on the bike, and when I’m knackered I just go home. I think what I’m trying to say is watch the knees, bike is way more knee friendly 👍👍

woody

Post by woody » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 pm

s29ttc wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:42 pm
Well done Robin, fantastic effort.

I think certainly the positives of lockdown is an increase in outdoor activity and exercise. I was out on Saturday and couldn’t cycle for more than a few minutes without passing another cyclist, surely can only be a good thing.

I am very addicted, since lockdown started late March/ early April I have clocked over 3,000 miles on the bike and spent far too much money on new bike, clothing, garmin, lights etc but hopefully the fitness is being maintained.

I am also enjoying exploring places I wouldn’t normally have travelled to and seeing the scenery in a different way.

I am finding myself being more comfortable at hills and longer distances on the bike and it is actually amazing how far you can travel simply on a pedal bike.

These electric bikes are also great as it’s opening up to a whole different audience. I stopped at the heron cafe near Strathaven on Sunday and there must have been 30 odd bikes there, many of which yielding an electric bike, and you could see people of an age/shape who you wouldn’t expect to be out cycling for long.

I’m a bit gutted the worse weather is closing in on us but hoping to maintain fitness through the colder months.

Sounds like you need a gravel bike for Whitelees, and other places, over winter. Very nice Cervelo - is that the one I spotted in Sprockets earlier in the year? How do you find it?

I'm not much of a fan of cycling up hills, but I was in a big hill I always associate with SE on a bike on Friday - Belach na ba. The weather was somewhat sub optimal, between that and a puncture we were late for our booking at Applecross Inn, so Jo picked me up half/ two thirds of the way up.

Imagegif upload site

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah I like the idea of another, but I’m all out buying this one so be a bit before I’m investing in new bikes.

The S5 is epic. Coming from a 7/8 year old aluminium frame with mechanical groupset, its a world of difference.

I’m loving the Di2 electric gears and the disc brakes. The aero frame performs well, and looks great in my opinion. The bike is so rewarding to ride and feels very fast and you can see the difference in Strava stats compared to my old bike. If there is a negative I’d say you have to be very mindful in windy weather for any crosswinds. If it’s particularly windy with a crosswind you can feel it catching the deep rims so just need to be very cautious.

Other than that it’s just an amazing piece of kit.

I bought it from a store down South. I did check al local bike stores but there was no stock available and I didn’t mind driving for 3 hours to get the bike I wanted.

I do not particularly enjoy hills but feeling more capable on them. The true buzz for me is on the descents and I guess you need to accept that you need to pay on the up for the reward in descending.

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:20 pm

Just an update from me.Trying to go out 2 days out of 3.
No timing or anything, just trying to do longer distance every day.Struggled at 20 minutes to start, doing about 50 now.
Still with the old bike. May have been partially built by James Hall as he worked at St.Andrew Street Cyclery when i bought it there in 1998.
I had forgotten how twitchy it was (I spoke to Dave Lloyd at the time he built the frame and told him i wanted a bike that was good for traffic), but i'm getting used to it now.
ImageDave Lloyd by arg918, on Flickr

Stay safe on the roads all.
Now with half an engine

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:53 am

Our bikes are city bikes but have electric motor to make commuting non-sweaty. Katie and I were out together on the bikes the other night and had a giggle pretending we were 12 😁. Though gears are shot on my bike so will probably end up returning it 🙄

Did the 5k in 30 this morning. Will deffo watch the knees and don't plan on running longer distances. Being a big lump definitely makes it harder on the knees!

Kinger, did you stop half way for a nap 🤣🤣
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:02 am

What’s actually happening with the gears? Return / rejection may not be necessary
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

Robin, might just be simple adjustment required. Have a look on YouTube at gear indexing, park tools videos are pretty good and explain well. If you are getting these symptoms worth trying to adjust yourself, it’s normally just a twist of the barrel adjusters slightly possibly caused with cables slacking off from new.

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:51 am

s29ttc wrote:Robin, might just be simple adjustment required. Have a look on YouTube at gear indexing, park tools videos are pretty good and explain well. If you are getting these symptoms worth trying to adjust yourself, it’s normally just a twist of the barrel adjusters slightly possibly caused with cables slacking off from new.
I agree, probably just needs indexed now the cables have settled. Fairly simple mechanical problem, even the electronic Di2 indexing is quite straightforward. Mind you, if it was Di2, Robin would have rewritten the software by now Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:43 pm

It's in hub gears (sturmey archer) with e-shifter where normally the gear cable would emerge. Brand new and not working properly. Works for a while (like a couple of k) auto shifting as you speed up and stop at the lights. Then at some point it fails the upshift to 4th ... Display shows 4th gear but clearly it's in 3rd or possibly even 2nd. After that you get some slipping on the crank which I assume is it being "between" gears in the hub and it never shifts again until assume random time later.

I am loathed to dismantle 'cos then I might not be able to return. Cycling 5k in second gear is hardwork. Luckily you can fool the motor into pulling you along while you more or less freewheel 🙄
#bemoretut

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Ah yes. Forgot it was a fake bike. Sorry e-Bike

Yep send ‘im back pronto.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:12 pm

The motor is on front wheel so actually the crank, chain, rear wheel are all like normal hub gear, except for the e-sh*t.

Electric cos it's for commuting and larks. No TdF pretentions at Iddon Towers!
#bemoretut

Scottish Scrutineer

Post by Scottish Scrutineer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:17 pm

The SA hubs (rear) have a short chain to activate the shift. It’s probably that that requires tweaking.
You may be able to do that electronically. That’s how you adjust Di2 indexing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer
Elise S2 (2002)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:17 pm

Will take a look with the chain guard off. The odd thing is that it works for a while, then fails. Don't think is as simple as indexing. More like the e shifter motor flakes out and cannot pull the chain properly.
#bemoretut

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:32 pm

Love it. e-Bike diagnosis takes the place of fixing up flaky Elises.

We’ve come a long way in 21 years!

Take it to the Technical section pls

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 pm

So i went out today and my legs are starting to get used to cycling again (finally).
Only problem was i got too cocky and decided to try and go ultra slow at a a set of traffic lights rather than than unclip and put foot down.
Didn't end well - finished up lying on pavement with feet still in pedals pissing myself laughing.
Now with half an engine