Cycling

Anything goes in here.....
fd

Re: Cycling

Post by fd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:24 pm

Scottish Scrutineer wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am

It might be worth looking at RGT as an alternative to Zwift. It doesn’t have the same sort of community as Zwift, but it is free. I use Trainer Road
Trainer road is simply pain . . . Zwift is pain with some distraction . . . the cost is so minimal zwift is the winner every time, however it's a 'winter time and I have a broken hand' type of exercise . . . outside is vastly more rewarding and stimulating at any other time . . .

Fd

111Robin

Post by 111Robin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm

I've been using Trainerroad for 7 years now, all year round not just winter. I follow the structured plans and this gives sufficient motivation as I know exactly what workout I'm doing as soon as I get on the bike. I've never really seen the attraction of Zwift but it's horses for courses. I have a music video playlist, Pantera and the like, that I stick on and never feel the need for any other form of distraction. During the hard intervals I need full concentration to keep on the power so that keeps my mind occupied. I have to admit to an outsider it's hard to explain why I do it, but for pure training gains with limited time available I find it invaluable. Don't get me wrong, it's not "enjoyable" per se, but then training never is. So I do 3 to 4 TR workouts per week and a 3 to 4 hour weekend ride that is still focused on training at the required power zones per the plan. Do I race ?, no, but I like to keep my performance as high as possible relative to my age and build contraints, and it keeps me (relatively) sane :)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:36 pm

I will turn on the Google fit gadget and see how bad it is 😁. Hopefully under 35mins 🤞
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Dark

Post by Dark » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm

I've used Sufferfest for the last 3 years.

It has the structured training plans of TrainerRoad but includes videos and soundtracks to help pass the time. Some of it is also very funny! Much of the footage is from real races and they match the efforts with different parts of the race. There is also an excellent set of rides from Mike Cotty at the Col Collective which include classic rides from the Pyrenees, Alps & Dolomites, great if you're planning a trip there!

Zwift is certainly good for racing but I find just riding around by myself quite boring and you don't get the benefit that you do from Sufferfest, TrainerRoad, etc. However note that to get the best training load and hence the best results you really need to configure your FTP correctly so that the trainer can set the correct resistance. If it's not hard you're not doing it properly. The 4DP/FTP test within Sufferfest is brutal but well worth the effort. You should also repeat the test every month or three to gauge improvement. Sufferfest also includes structured training plans so you can tell it your goals and time available and it will construct a weekly guide for what to do.
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:10 pm

So I dug out the bike after about 10 years and got it up and running. Is there any app out there for the casual cyclist rather than the training ones?
Just looking to get a bit fitter, unlikely to use a turbo trainer etc.
Now with half an engine

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:53 pm

tonyg wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:10 pm
So I dug out the bike after about 10 years and got it up and running. Is there any app out there for the casual cyclist rather than the training ones?
Just looking to get a bit fitter, unlikely to use a turbo trainer etc.
Tony,

Strava is perfect for this.

Good to hear that you are back on the bike again. :thumbsup

Steve.

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks Steve will give it a go.
Now with half an engine

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Nice work fd, I think I went the other direction. Working on it now though. Realised we didn't have sufficient bikage for the family to go for a ride. Harder to fix at the moment due to availability but we went for our first cycle as a family last weekend. Going to do more, enjoyed it a lot. 👍🏼

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:03 am

Cycled casually for many years, lots of fun and great times. 20 years+ on MTB mostly with kids on trails so nothing serious apart from 1 week in Chamonix in our younger years, and lots of 7stanes blue and red grades.
Post-kids we mostly do 20-35 mile forest trails now eg Loch Venachar loop with additional fun stressing the car (and passenger) out with 2 heavy bikes on the roof driving twisty roads to get there !!
Also did a Cycling Catalonia Beaches, Wine & Dali something like 250 mile route couple of years ago, really great fun, heavy touring type bikes mostly trails and quiet back roads but saw lots of really interesting places, staying in villages plus winery tours and tasting on 3 days, would recommend it for the casual cyclist.

Last 4 years May (wife) and I still do MTB trails plus now mixed with road biking.
I could do more serious road biking and would enjoy challenging myself more but we do 30-50mile runs which aren’t the hardest, occasional pushes on the steeper hills and faster bits, but we enjoy seeing the countryside, the views mixed with house looking/envy and cakes and coffee rewards.

Last couple of weeks history

2 weeks ago Rannoch Station, coffee and cake stop

Last weekend, beach stop near Inversnaid to enjoy sunshine. Landslides on Loch Katrine ruined Aberfoyle, Stronachlachar, Dukes Pass plans

On holiday this week in St Andrews so yesterdays recovery post St Andrews to Elie loop seems acceptable !

So definitely not worthy in terms of training but enjoyable and gets us out and about.

Hoping lots of people have bought bikes in coronavirus era, not used them much and get rid of them so we can upgrade both MTB and road bikes cheaply in the next year especially the road bikes !
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 am

Ian - seems we go similar places!

(albeit me not on a bike :mrgreen: )

My wife and I were at Rannoch Station at the start of March with snow on the ground when we had a wee break staying in a lovely hotel in Kinloch Rannoch 8)

That last pic looks awfully like the very same table right at the door of the Criterion pub in St Andrews where we sat for food and drinks on Saturday afternoon!

:cheers
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:18 am

Small world

Yes Criterion pub :thumbsup

Even more so, tried to go for a drink in Kinloch Rannoch hotel after our cycle and in non cycle gear. But was told it was full even though huge outdoor courtyard with at least a dozen widely spaced tables had only one group sitting out, dont think they liked the look of us
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:14 pm

They clearly prefer my refined Dundonian twang to your west coast drawl :damnfunny
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Ian, what was your Rannoch route?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

IanD

Post by IanD » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:49 am

Was road biking so simples.
Parked Kinloch Rannoch so looped south of loch up for outward, up to station and back north side.
The amount of wild camping on south side of loch was amazing, every space had a tent, must have seen well over 100 tents on that stretch.

We met someone at Stronachlachar who had cycled off road on his cyclocross bike across Duke Pass and all the way up to pier. We have cycled through Queen Elizabeth Forest Park meeting back up with B829 much further up. And near the top of B829 (T junction split Stronachlachar/ Inversnaid) you can clearly see trail paths which looks easy to do off road cycle. So might try doing Aberfeldy to Stronachlachar or Inversnaid off road some time. Good thing is you should have a escape route back onto B829 if it gets too tough/tiring or just cycle off road out route and road back.
White Porsche man
2010 Boxster Spyder

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Cheers Ian. MTB trails I’m seeking and had wondered if you’d been out onto the moor from Rannoch Stn. Must take a nosey sometime as I imagine one could ride through to Kingshouse and Glencoe?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy