Out with the new and in with the old

Anything goes in here.....
douglasgdmw

Out with the new and in with the old

Post by douglasgdmw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:49 am

After a lot of contemplation during lockdown and putting the Defender up for sale (which generated lot of enquiries but mostly chancers who thought I needed to sell).

Decided that life is too short and took the plunge on an old series. During the summer staycation I had a chat with the owner of Twisted about my Defender and a very brief Facebook post that I saw on their site.

Ended up popping down to LR Motors (part of Twisted for normalish Defender sales) and did a deal trading in my Defender for this old girl born in 1963 (Series 2a Petrol).

Still waiting to get a couple of bits finished off :
- Re galvanising the bumpers, windows, door cappings (hopefully this week)
- Changing the windows to standard marine blue (now done)
- Fitting lap belts
- Waxoyl the chassis

Been painful waiting since early August, nothing compared to Renmure's wait admittedly Image

So car is nearly ready and can't wait to get her. In true Landy naming tradition she will be called Yulanda.

So prior to arrival just need to watch some YouTube videos on double de clutching as no syncromesh on 1st/2nd.

So suspect I may be popping along to some spanner/sponge meets to get some assistance although will probably leaving a day early !!!

From this:

To this
ImageImage

George
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by douglasgdmw on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

robin
Jedi Master

Re: Out with the new and in with the old

Post by robin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Double de clutching under pressure. If you dont get it driving in second within a few seconds you'll have lost so much momentum that you need first again 🤣

Needs a supercharger to give it some more torque 😁😁
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:17 pm

P.s. enjoy it, and make sure you take plenty of reading material for the way home!
#bemoretut

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 pm

Just had a phone call from LR Motors today.

Part of the plan was to Waxoil the chassis to preserve it in the future. When they were performing the preparation work they have discovered the chassis is not in a very good state and is beyond repair - and certainly nothing they would not send out to a customer.

So looks like the old girl will be getting new undergarments which will delay my delivery date - weeks, months I just do not know yet. .

However the good thing is that LR Motors have said that there will be no cost to myself and they will get a new galvanized chassis and install it.

Only slight concession is that they need the Defender earlier than anticipated, so being picked up on Saturday - which also means I get the difference in price earlier as well :)

Disappointed that there will be a delay but so grateful that they hold their hand up - so many other garages would have just waxoyled the chassis and left me to discover the issue once any warranty had expired.
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

IanD

Post by IanD » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Sounds expensive and a good result for you even with the delay in delivery.

Without your waxoyl request would this have been found ?
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Possibly not as the car was waxoyled previously. So may not have been found for a while.

Suppose the fact its a historical vehicle and not subject to an MOT means that something like this could go unnoticed.

I am probably in their goods book anyway.

Someone contacted me about my car post the deal and I passed on their details. Found out tonight he has bought my Defender today.

Someone else contacted me for advice on selling their defender a couple of weeks back, passes his details and knew they were wanting more stock. They bought his defender and sold it in a couple of days.

So 2 sales passed their way from me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:06 pm

I think chassis replacements are de rigueur for landies of a certain age. Great result though & top service from LR Motors too.
#bemoretut

renmure

Post by renmure » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:08 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:49 am

Been painful waiting since early August, nothing compared to Renmure's wait admittedly Image
douglasgdmw wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 pm

..... which will delay my delivery date - weeks, months I just do not know yet. .
Hahaha. Welcome to my world :blackeye

Looks nice tho and will be worth the wait I'm sure
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.