campbell

Re: Anyone bought a new car recently?

Post by campbell » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30 pm

Nice car that.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm

This lockdown malarkey is playing havoc with viewing anything further afield..... I'm wanting to view a classic about 8hrs away, and it's currently just not possible :|
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 pm

rossybee wrote:This lockdown malarkey is playing havoc with viewing anything further afield..... I'm wanting to view a classic about 8hrs away, and it's currently just not possible :|
Could you not firstly do a virtual viewing (instructing the seller where to point the camera) and if that then sound promising organise a garage to do an inspection for you? Minimises your risks then.

Also if it's a garage selling then you will have distance selling rights if you do not view which allows you to perform the due dillegence once you get the car.

Remember when I bought a Mk1 Golf Clipper down in wales (while working in Cape Town) got an independent to do an inspection first prior to purchase.

George

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:02 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 pm
rossybee wrote:This lockdown malarkey is playing havoc with viewing anything further afield..... I'm wanting to view a classic about 8hrs away, and it's currently just not possible :|
Could you not firstly do a virtual viewing (instructing the seller where to point the camera) and if that then sound promising organise a garage to do an inspection for you? Minimises your risks then.

Also if it's a garage selling then you will have distance selling rights if you do not view which allows you to perform the due dillegence once you get the car.

Remember when I bought a Mk1 Golf Clipper down in wales (while working in Cape Town) got an independent to do an inspection first prior to purchase.

George

49 years old and Italian, so I'd rather see it in the flesh :damnfunny

It is indeed a garage but due to the age and the distance away, will treat like a private sale 😉

Will bide my time and see how long before things are relaxed :cheers

Edit: that's unless anyone here has a car-savvy friend or relative in Norfolk who'd be willing to have a nose :D
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

woody

Post by woody » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:00 pm

rossybee wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:02 pm
douglasgdmw wrote:

George

It is indeed a garage but due to the age and the distance away, will treat like a private sale 😉

Edit: that's unless anyone here has a car-savvy friend or relative in Norfolk who'd be willing to have a nose :D
Be bold. I bought the 49 year old British Leyland unseen.

My even bolder friend took the train to Woking and drove it home in the rain.

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:15 pm

woody wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:00 pm
rossybee wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:02 pm
douglasgdmw wrote:

George

Be bold. I bought the 49 year old British Leyland unseen.

My even bolder friend took the train to Woking and drove it home in the rain.
Indeed. What's the worst that could happen?

And it's a fair bit quicker and more comfortable that your mini :blackeye
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:47 pm

Does that mean that the TVR has gone Ross?
Now with half an engine

Dark

Post by Dark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Pay the first £100 on a credit card and you have redress for the entire cost of the car via section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act... apparently...
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:13 am

tonyg wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:47 pm
Does that mean that the TVR has gone Ross?
No Tony, this will be in addition, although one of the interested parties from last year is sniffing around again, so might get a lotus yet :mrgreen:

Mrs B not entirely chuffed that her yeti will be getting evicted from the garage :damnfunny
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:29 pm

Lazydonkey wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:05 am
Not quite in the same league.....working from home has meant things have changed a bit. It's brilliant fun and pretty much free to run

(photo taken in it's spiritual home)
Nice motor Mr Donkey! Still miss our ST... tempted to get another but can't really justify it just now. Always felt like it was an enthusiatic puppy straining on the lead... it was the car that wanted to go faster, not me of course.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:31 pm

Shug wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm
Not really spoken about it on here, but earlier in the year, we finally got out of lotus ownership after me having at least use of an Elise or Evora since 2002!

The Evora wasn't getting any younger and getting a newer one didn't fulfil Elaine's requirements for an upgrade, namely something that felt a bit more premium inside and she really missed the open top of the Elise. Top that with us never using the rear seats due to the bulk of the required child seat and the bloody height of my son, a 2 seater was back on the cards.

So, got a Jaaaaaag. 2015 F Type S with the mild chassis revision to make it a bit more compliant and the adaptive damping/dynamic mode stuff the S adds. Got this one with a frankly stupid 3700 miles on the clock, as owner 1 had it as a sunny day car and clearly never got much sun.

Obviously it's no Evora in terms of steering feel, but in terms of drama - flick it into dynamic and it's almost psychotic with the *noise*, throttle response and rifle shot gearshifts. But in normal, it does a really passable impression of a classic Jag cruiser. Best of both. Love it.Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
That's nice! And,.. how big is Thomas getting??!!?? :shock:
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:29 pm

Has Ed not bought something new recently ?
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Dominic wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:29 pm
Nice motor Mr Donkey! Still miss our ST... tempted to get another but can't really justify it just now. Always felt like it was an enthusiatic puppy straining on the lead... it was the car that wanted to go faster, not me of course.
Yeah it's a brilliant little thing, I always remembered driving yours and how fast it felt. - £400 takes it to 225bhp too. Not that i've been looking...obviously...
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:40 pm

Lazydonkey wrote:Has Ed not bought something new recently ?
Tried and failed it seems ImageImage
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Well after much debate, a decision tree, sleepless nights. really annoying my wife for weeks on end and some final frantic messages to Campbell for advice (pulling you away from work too sorry mate , but thank you :D I am due you a beer ! ) I have booked a built slot for a Elise 250 Cup Final Edition !

Thanks to the good people of Scottish Elises too for all the advice and answers to date (looking at you in particular too thanks Ross) Much appreciated thank you :thumbsup Due you a beer too !

Good news is I made a decision just in time (with the help of Laura) to book the last ever Cup coming off the line ! So I'm happy as it really was cutting it fine and also get my own wee bit of Lotus history after 20 years of production as everything moves to the Type 131 (well unless they change there mind I guess). Was very close to missing the final slot it seems, they were really limited, now understanding the actual dealer allocations. The bad news is I need to wait to November so that's another summer minus my new toy :(

Ok so on the 250 v 350 debate, for me in particular:
  • 250 is closer to my previous Exige S2 NA , I miss it pure and simple. Campbell hit the nail on the head, I am trying to recreate it
  • I wanted a fun go kart not a scary super car (scary for me a I have no experience of the Exige power or the potential larger bills, thinking of that Exige 350 clutch issue for example)
  • A new Exige was well over budget so it had to be pre-owned.
  • 1.8 suits my driving style better.
  • Never owned a car with an engine larger than 1.8 :oops:
  • More comfortable with the running costs of the Cup.
  • Its looks awesome and the build quality has come a long way since my Exige S2 NA 2005.
  • Happier with the warranty cover (but only 2 years for the Cup).
  • Car wont see the track , wet days or salt roads so I can keep it like that from the start (garage queen sorry).
  • Went a wee bit over my 50k budget, which to be fair would have allowed me to get a 3 year old Exige which was a really difficult choice hence all the debate.
  • Will always be the option to upgrade to an pre-owned Exige if I out grow the 250 Cup I guess but this was my last chance to get a new Lotus.
Still working on the spec but basically just getting everthing I want ... in yellow "only one that colour in scotland" :scratch

So that is it. Got an 8 month wait now .... I need to find a short term hobby as I am no longer looking at the classified section :lol: