Anyone bought a new car recently?

Anything goes in here.....
campbell

Re: Anyone bought a new car recently?

Post by campbell » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 am

Been in a couple, Steve, and understand the anxiety! But the quality of the seats overcomes much. We were tempted pre-Lockdown. Great pocket rockets. But utterly pointless now
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:22 am

Clarkie wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:07 pm
X5 30d 48v mild hybrid, arrived early December. Loads of torque, engine stop/start seamless with the motor kicking in. Coasting or going downhill, engine shuts off completely, then you can definitely feel the weight, completely opposite to the Lotus.

Ideal for two dogs and all their stuff, nice big comfy machine with lots of tech, although the lane departure is now switched off!

LED sky lounge sunroof is cool, sporting a wee purple hue at the momentImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Age comes to us all!
W213 All Terrain

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:41 am

Stevoraith wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:13 am
Lazydonkey wrote:Not quite in the same league.....working from home has meant things have changed a bit. It's brilliant fun and pretty much free to run

(photo taken in it's spiritual home)
I really like that, kind of tempted by one for the wife but perceived quality of the interior has always put me off.
In-laws had an 11plate focus and the interior looked like a JVC midi system I had in ‘94.

How do you find it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's a 14 plate st3 with 44k on the clock and the interior is rock solid - not a single rattle anywhere. The screen in the centre of the dash is pretty smal by modern standards and the sony hifi controls can be a bit confusing but other than that I can't fault it. I know some people really hate the interior but it doesn't bother me at all. Seats are fab recaros and the bum warmers are better than those in our volvo.

Car itself is hilarious - more than quick enough (197bhp on overboost for 15 secs) and on pilot sports it just grips and goes. Ride is a bit lumpy but that's expected from the genre.

The big plus for me is the mrs donkey loves it and finds it dead easy to drive - which wasn't the case with the m2 and definately wasn't the case with the evora.

For cheap fun motoring it would take some beating IMHO
Last edited by Lazydonkey on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:48 am

Clarkie wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:39 pm
Absolutely Mike Scib must have Image
Don’t know make and model but definitely something newImage
:lol:
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

KennyT

Post by KennyT » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:59 pm

I’ve had a bit of garage movement in 2020:

Had my M4 for 15 months and did what I wanted with it, full day on COTA was fun but the brakes lasted two and a half laps before having to back off for a lap which was frustrating. New Super Sports all round held up longer than the brakes.
Stupid rule in the US is windows have to be down on track which meant the car wasn’t loud enough to properly hear due to wind noise.
All in all it reminded me fast and capable road cars are not necessarily good track cars...

Replaced the M4 with a 997.1 Carrera S, manual with chrono pack, sports seats, short shifter etc which seemed perfect road driving spec (I didn’t intend tracking and being disappointed with another road car). It was great on the road and really satisfying to wind through the big open bends here in Texas high in the rev range using both feet and hands.

Unfortunately it was short lived, I bought it approved used from Porsche and paid them to do a borescope inspection for bore scoring which they botched meaning I didn’t get good pictures but their ‘head tech’ said it looked good, a condition of purchase was they fixed a few defects such as wheel alignment, replaced a passenger window regulator and fixed the lower bumper grille, however the same head tech didn’t fully fix them so I sent it back every time and it took four times through the workshop to sort simple defects, I said I needed a complimentary oil service as compensation for the 2 months of hassle but they offered me a baseball cap instead... needless to say I lost it, told them to collect the car and requested a full refund. After a couple of weeks and an hour on the phone with the used sales GM of Porsche North America I had my full refund.
Shame, the car was great:

Fun car shopping has been postponed and I have my wife’s X5 now, with baby 2 inbound I bought a Ford Explorer for family duties, really great thing actually with a 10 speed auto, 6 seats, loads of tech and very comfortable, just a great family tool.
Recognise it’s a pointless endorsement as they aren’t available in the UK:

Exige-S
'84 911 Carrera 3.2
E46 M3

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:57 pm

Our pals in Colorado had an Explorer. Lisa looked hard to find one here on our return, she was so impressed
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm

KennyT wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:59 pm
Fun car shopping has been postponed and I have my wife’s X5 now, with baby 2 inbound I bought a Ford Explorer for family duties, really great thing actually with a 10 speed auto, 6 seats, loads of tech and very comfortable, just a great family tool.
Were you not tempted to wait for the Bronco or are they not yet available in the US?
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

KennyT

Post by KennyT » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:52 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
KennyT wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:59 pm
Were you not tempted to wait for the Bronco or are they not yet available in the US?
Bronco Sport is available now but that’s the small SUV and nothing special, the full fat Bronco should start to deliver from Q3 and they are cool. My friend put a deposit down in July 2020 and has only this week been called to spec it with his delivery being late this year maybe 2022.
They will be very popular when deliveries start, much cheaper than an equivalent new Defender and more refined than the already very popular Wrangler.

Exige-S
'84 911 Carrera 3.2
E46 M3

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:03 pm

:lol: :lol:

I haven't bought a car since October which is currently for sale already :oops:
Clarkie wrote:
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

cjm

Post by cjm » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:08 am

Lazydonkey wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:41 am
Stevoraith wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:13 am
Lazydonkey wrote:Not quite in the same league.....working from home has meant things have changed a bit. It's brilliant fun and pretty much free to run

(photo taken in it's spiritual home)
I really like that, kind of tempted by one for the wife but perceived quality of the interior has always put me off.
In-laws had an 11plate focus and the interior looked like a JVC midi system I had in ‘94.

How do you find it?

it's a 14 plate st3 with 44k on the clock and the interior is rock solid - not a single rattle anywhere. The screen in the centre of the dash is pretty smal by modern standards and the sony hifi controls can be a bit confusing but other than that I can't fault it. I know some people really hate the interior but it doesn't bother me at all. Seats are fab recaros and the bum warmers are better than those in our volvo.

Car itself is hilarious - more than quick enough (197bhp on overboost for 15 secs) and on pilot sports it just grips and goes. Ride is a bit lumpy but that's expected from the genre.

The big plus for me is the mrs donkey loves it and finds it dead easy to drive - which wasn't the case with the m2 and definately wasn't the case with the evora.

For cheap fun motoring it would take some beating IMHO
I keep being tempted by one of these for something fun to drive.

I did get a Up high up for my mum recently and it seems really nice and not as basic and slow as I thought it might feel.
Colin
10-15 S2 Elise 111S
17-23 S1 Evora

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 am

For me it's nice to get back into something where you can use full throttle for more than a few secs. it's not as fast as the m2 obviously but in terms of usable performance there's not much in it. Parts are buttons, tonnes of options to cheaply mod it and the tax is £13 a month.

Finally, i lost £9k on the M2, The fiesta cost me £8k and a bit. I'm only doing 2k a year just now so the cost per mile on the m2 was just stupid.

Would be easier to justify if it was something really exotic but 2 small kids and a cycling habit means exotic simply doesn't work for us.
Last edited by Lazydonkey on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 am

Mike Scib wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Clarkie wrote:
Focus or mini going? Still got the fiesta ?

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am

Lazydonkey wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 am
For me it's nice to get back into something where you can use full throttle for more than a few secs. it's not as fast as the m2 obviously but in terms of usable performance there's not much in it.
That’s a very good point. Probably the reason why my R53 Cooper S was the most enjoyable car I’ve owned (purely from a driving point of view- the expense of fixing the thing dulled the overall ownership experience 🙄)
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am

Lazydonkey wrote:
Mike Scib wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Clarkie wrote:
Focus or mini going? Still got the fiesta ?
Fiesta went a while ago and the mini JCW is up for sale as I haven’t put fuel in it since October Image

alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Sanjøy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 pm
Guess I should go next. Chopped in the old w212 wagon and the M140i as there was one day in the last 10 months that saw both off the drive. Replaced by the unicorn that is an E400d All Terrain. Still getting to grips with it but should suit our lifestyle well. With our frequent trips to the Cairngorms it will take a decent load and the AWD and raise chassis will help when the weather gets spicy. Has some decent poke 340bhp & 700nm so I don't have to mourn the M140 too much. The thinking mans E63 :blackeye

Very excited about the electric tow bar for the bikes on the rear which Sarah and the boys will be able to reach.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 400d Sanjoy, that's a proper sleeper there, especially if the bike rack is on the back!
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW