Anyone bought a new car recently?

Anything goes in here.....
ed

Re: Anyone bought a new car recently?

Post by ed » Mon May 10, 2021 11:11 am

Decided to treat myself to some new wheels. Picked it up on 1st May, did run in service on the 7th of May and first trackday on the 8th. Very happy with it! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:13 am

I was admiring that on Johns photos over the weekend, looks lovely, is it a 220 sport?

ed

Post by ed » Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks alot!

Yeah, one of the last 3 220s before the Final Editions. They ran out of wheels (both steering and actual wheels) so its got both from the FE.

More photos here: https://www.castlesportscars.co.uk/cars ... rt-220-10/

:thumbsup
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:25 am

Always a sucker for a blue Elise, normally like black wheels but that looks spot on with the silver. Hope you have many happy miles in it 8)

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 am

looks great Ed 8)
"Here for a good time not a long time"

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:43 pm

ed wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:11 am
Decided to treat myself to some new wheels. Picked it up on 1st May, did run in service on the 7th of May and first trackday on the 8th. Very happy with it! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get the vinyl cutter out and get the FE decals on there!
W213 All Terrain

campbell

Post by campbell » Mon May 10, 2021 5:42 pm

No.

FS.

Final Shed
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

IanD

Post by IanD » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Long story of my car buying saga in lockdown, on car no 4 in 11 months, it’s on hold for now but not ended…

Normally my car buys go ok don’t buy that many cars, I’ve distance bought before and don’t consider myself that fussy, was looking to replace the daily my wife uses, a BMW 320d M Touring M Sport, something still sensible and useable, need reasonable boot space for her work, never rejected a car until now.

So bought a 2018 Golf Gti performance pack DSG Mk7.5. Purchased mid July 2020, collected it from London.

Formally rejected in August, collected Sept by the dealer. Due to sales exec leaving I wasn’t informed of collection day until a call from a driver arriving in 1hr to take car away :shock:

So that night with no daily, and a wife who uses a car for work, based on lots of internet browsing plus 3hrs the next day checking out a short list of very cheap cars and some dodgy sellers bought a 2002 Skoda 1.9tdi (elegance model so even had heated seats) to do as a runabout until I found another golf.

Skoda was ok, enlightening driving a £700 car just not doing Yorkshire Dales roads at decent pace unless you want a passenger with motion sickness :)
Sold Skoda 2 months later in November on a long day which didn’t go as well as planned took 12hrs to drive to Manchester, pick up new Golf to try get back into Scotland before lockdown rules kicked in at 6pm, private seller arrived and bought Skoda 5mins after I got home as he also wanted to buy before lockdown kicked in.

Another Golf GTI same colour, very similar spec, 2019 this time, less miles, more money spent

Unfortunately found later it wasn’t such a great plan I had sold the Skoda so quickly.
Take 2 Golf also turned into Fail no 2 :(

Realised 1 week after buying it wasn’t close to as described or promised in sale. After 3 weeks of arguing daily on phone plus lots of emails, VW dealer agreed to return of car to start rejection process no 2 Dec 2020, but then major christmas coronavirus lockdown rules happened garage is closing so all put on hold, they would be in touch as soon as appropriate either for collection or I return it.

Come March I start chasing garage about rejection return, previous manager has left, garage will no longer agree to return of car since it’s been 3 months later and I didn’t return car even though they had previously agreement to delay any return.
So now into May after another nearly 3 months of chasing and discussions,many calls not returned, emails and occasional offers from the VW dealer to spend £2K - £5K more on other Golfs it is all getting stressful, the dealer wont even return calls anymore so I put it up and sold it via Motorway (webuyanycar equivalent) in 1 day while on holiday end May over Bank holiday weekend. So deja vu now got 1 weekend before collection to find car no 4 in a year.

So last weekend car bought, was considering 5dr Mini would have liked Cooper S petrol but since I had limited shopping time (again) this came up and condition vs price seemed ok so bought it.
Mini Countryman S diesel.

Used Golf prices (same as others used prices) have really gone crazy and still going upwards.

So intention now is to wait, give up on buying our next proper daily car and live with this Mini for at least a few months. And probably buy localish I can view it at leisure in decent conditions and test drive it

Got variety of hols/weekend breaks coming up over next few months, every buy has been time constrained, usually with an impending lockdown change about to happen (hopefully shouldn’t be any more of those) and also usually timed within days of holidays which we need a sensible spacious car for, followed by 1-3months of grief, aggro, constant calls and emails and occasionally loosing the head so time to chill out with the Mini.

If May is happy, you never know might just divert the slush fund to next toy car. But I really can’t face anymore selling/buying at moment of any kind !!
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:44 pm

We have a Countryman All4 Cooper D and plan was to swap it but with used prices being silly and the aggro involved I’ll keep it another winter. Was MOt in Jan and I just did it again last week to give me a full year.

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:11 pm

What were the issues causing you reject the Golfs Ian?
Did you discover the first one had been remapped or something?

I must admit I’ve bought remotely a number of times previously and never had an issue but I bought my new BMW remotely in October and it wasn’t as great an experience.
Having it delivered rather than collecting from the dealer took the shine off a bit and it was much more nerve-wracking knowing that I’d have to pay for the thing before seeing it.

Next purchase will be from somewhere I can test drive the car first I think.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:01 pm

Och where's your senses of adventures chaps!

Bought and paid for my 49yr old Alfa before it even left the dealer in South Norfolk :blackeye

I'll admit to being a bit nervous on collection day right enough :damnfunny
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:58 pm

Bought a van unseen in Cardiff last month. Delighted

Bought my current Elise unseen from Yorkshire 3 years ago.

Bought the TT unseen from a friendly part-time trader 4 years ago

Bought our current Skoda unseen from Southampton 4 years ago.

Bought a MINI Clubman unseen from Gatwick in 2013.

In all cases. Went well. Albeit Campbell standards of research, homework, pondering and hesitation also

Sorry to hear that tale of woe, Mr Dempster. Nightmare! Think you’ve been unbelievably unlucky.

renmure

Post by renmure » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:00 am

I bought a new Dacia Duster a couple of weeks ago. Unbelievably fantastic value. 999cc of turbocharged cheapness but feels so much better than it should at the price. Incredibly it was over £1000 cheaper to buy it from the Dacia dealer in Newrey, Northern Ireland and have it delivered to my door on a transporter than it was to get exactly the same car from 8 miles away in Brechin. Odd but true! Never driven or even sat in a Duster till it turned up. Brave or wot :D

Ordered a new white Toyota Aygo today to replace our current red Aygo so another 999cc but no turbocharger this time. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Bizarrely because we ticked the box for mudflaps (a whole £99) that meant it had to be a new factory spec'd order rather than the dealer simply fitting a set to one of the cars in the showroom and letting us be on our way by the end of the week.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:01 am

Burnt Orange. Great colour, Jim

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:08 am

Love the colour.

However Roo bar at the front and then some Stratos lights would look awesome sat next to the actual Stratos in the garage :)
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop