Anything goes in here.....
philthy

Re: Lotus teaser/launch update link

Post by philthy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Andy G wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am

I think the prospect of the AMG Powertrain is tremendous :thumbsup

Very tempted

I’m with you would be an amazing match, free revving and 8 speed gearbox but Im swaying towards manual V6 for more driver involvement and sound, the 45engine sounds horrible.
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:42 pm

philthy wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:51 pm
Andy G wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am

I think the prospect of the AMG Powertrain is tremendous :thumbsup

Very tempted

I’m with you would be an amazing match, free revving and 8 speed gearbox but Im swaying towards manual V6 for more driver involvement and sound, the 45engine sounds horrible.
I think the AMG powerplant being tunable to about 470bhp without any significant mods should be epic. Suspect once V6 is not reg compliant it will replaced it as the only option.

Id love a manual, but having already had the V6, not sure I want the same again - I'd want to embrace the new stuff and that powertrain is superb, and I'm sure it won't sound too bad either - even if that means a post purchase exhaust enhancement with the new regs. You should hear how crap the new Amg GT-Rs sound compared to mine :roll:

Trying to work out how I fit one in my life! :damnfunny Dont see the dog enjoying it much :D
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Been on the configurator. Red, tan hide, black gloss wheels, yellow calipers. Don’t think I’d add any future options as 1400 kegs is Porky enough as it is. No targa ( yet ?). Can get 200 litres luggage behind seats so that’s a few sacks of wood and leccy coolbox for camping .

IanD

Post by IanD » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:49 pm

A soft top / Spyder or whatever would be a nice addition in time to maintain a roof less option but no idea if that’s possible, expect it would be complicated to do something which is suitable for target market.

Evo specs confirm V6 is the higher output engine, although you would expect the AMG unit is the one you could easily tune to increase power. Launch did talk more about the different power delivery more and gearbox DCT vs Auto vs DSG and customer choice rather than the price vs power vs base vs super edition.
Launch edition being the V6 may be a fair bit more than £60K then, didn’t see a price range mentioned.

White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:47 pm

I’d still have a V6 for sense of occasion.

All utterly academic today but on the bucket list for 2025. Ish.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

ryallm

Post by ryallm » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:42 am

Well after a rather long hiatus without a Lotus, with a detour via a Caterham along the way, I have put a deposit down on the Emira. Mega excited :D I think it looks absolute stunning. Apparently they took 500 deposits on the first morning of the Goodwood FOS alone and the entire UK allocation is now sold out into 2023. Sounds like Lotus have a major winner on their hands at last.

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:04 am

ryallm wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:42 am
Well after a rather long hiatus without a Lotus, with a detour via a Caterham along the way, I have put a deposit down on the Emira. Mega excited :D I think it looks absolute stunning. Apparently they took 500 deposits on the first morning of the Goodwood FOS alone and the entire UK allocation is now sold out into 2023. Sounds like Lotus have a major winner on their hands at last.

I hope it goes well (and it's not just speculators hoping to sell them on quickly for a profit).
Would like to see one in the flesh before i make my mind up 100%
Now with half an engine

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:52 am

Smart move, Mark.

Not since the Elise launched have Lotus enjoyed 2-year order backlogs
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:11 pm

ryallm wrote:
nice, are you going toyota or AMG? Just wonder if you will get to Demo them before placing your final order? d
"Here for a good time not a long time"

ryallm

Post by ryallm » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Scotty C wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:11 pm
ryallm wrote:
nice, are you going toyota or AMG? Just wonder if you will get to Demo them before placing your final order? d
At the moment I'm leaning towards the V6 as I really want a manual and that lovely noise, but I'll wait on final pricing and specs to decide. If the V6 is 15k+ more expensive than the AMG engine it becomes very hard to justify.

As I understand it you'll be able to place an order from around October onward (currently the deposit just books a slot in the build queue), but dealers don't expect to get demo cars until April next year - way too far off if you ask me, and the early demos are all likely to be V6s anyway. So, if you want a car delivered next year it looks like you may have to make a leap of faith without having driven either version. This is plainly daft so I'm hoping that situation might change. I'd happily take a trip down to Hethel if I could get to drive both cars before finalising the order.

greyrigg

Post by greyrigg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:05 pm

At least at 1400kg there is plenty scope for a cup version

Car looks terrific, V6 would be my choice because I’d want a manual.

Trying to avoid doing the man maths.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 pm

So who's the first on here to put down a deposit?

I know of one SEer (non-regular) who has, and I'm mighty tempted. Just need to see if anything like the 50/50 finance will be available.... :blackeye

Also, rumour has it that the V6 will be the cheaper option, so a bare spec V6 manual with black pack for £30k deposit and the balance after 24 months sounds very appealing 8) :cheers
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

ryallm

Post by ryallm » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:40 pm

rossybee wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 pm

I know of one SEer (non-regular) who has, and I'm mighty tempted. Just need to see if anything like the 50/50 finance will be available.... :blackeye

Also, rumour has it that the V6 will be the cheaper option, so a bare spec V6 manual with black pack for £30k deposit and the balance after 24 months sounds very appealing 8) :cheers
I'd really love that rumour to be right, but everything I've read suggests the V6 is the more expensive option, with the entry level car being the I4 pegged to around 360bhp. When I spoke to Laura at Park's Lotus a couple of days ago, she was expecting early V6s (presumably specced up 'launch edition' cars) to be £80k ish. Even the dealers seem to be guessing though. Seems pretty odd to me that Lotus launch the car and are so vague on specs and pricing. More info coming in September apparently.

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:53 pm

ryallm wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:40 pm
rossybee wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 pm

I'd really love that rumour to be right, but everything I've read suggests the V6 is the more expensive option, with the entry level car being the I4 pegged to around 360bhp. When I spoke to Laura at Park's Lotus a couple of days ago, she was expecting early V6s (presumably specced up 'launch edition' cars) to be £80k ish. Even the dealers seem to be guessing though. Seems pretty odd to me that Lotus launch the car and are so vague on specs and pricing. More info coming in September apparently.
Agree ref being odd about spec info etc.

The A45 donor car is 415bhp, so see no reason it'll not be similar in the Lotus, and a 360bhp V6 is kinda standard now, plus I'd wager the V6 being older tech will be a cheaper complete drivetrain with manual compared to the modern AMG linked to 8spd DCT...
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

ryallm

Post by ryallm » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:13 pm

rossybee wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Agree ref being odd about spec info etc.

The A45 donor car is 415bhp, so see no reason it'll not be similar in the Lotus, and a 360bhp V6 is kinda standard now, plus I'd wager the V6 being older tech will be a cheaper complete drivetrain with manual compared to the modern AMG linked to 8spd DCT...
Yes, the V6 really ought to be cheaper. Ok, it has a supercharger and charge cooler bolted on, but it is otherwise the same lump you'll find in thousands of Camry hire cars in the US. The AMG I4 on the other hand is state of the art, hand built with forged internals - it really should be more expensive.

My bet is the AMG engine will be pegged to around 360bhp for now, then the V6 will be dropped a couple of years into production, allowing Lotus to unleash the 4 pot to over 420bhp. I still want the V6 though for the snarly character and manual box, and I reckon it has the potential to become a classic in years to come. The last of the manual Ferraris seem to command quite a premium over their flappy paddle equivalent.